Depression

Humodour

Be careful about doctors. The shifty bastards put all kinds of stuff onto databases, and once there it's impossible to remove. o:)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, this is the first time in years I've heard or read something like this and I didn't think "man, I feel exactly the same way", so man here's proof that it'll pass. *points at self*

Still, it hurts like a bitch even if it isn't really pain, so I wish you good luck with it.

Whoa, thanks guys! I wasn't quite expecting this response. I can hardly reply to every post, but know that I did read them all.

But some points:

- I've been adjusting my sleep patterns over the course of the week and I am now getting up before 10am each day and going to bed before 2am. I think it's started helping.

- I switched ADHD medications (from dexamphetamine to Ritalin) as an experiment and it's horrible so I'll go back to my doctor to switch back soon, and when I do I'll discuss my underlying 'emotional discomfort' with him if it persists.

- I start O-week (and move on campus) in 1 day. Already this proximity is starting to cheer me up, as I start focusing on packing, etc.

- I think all the people telling me I'll feel better when I get into study again, mix with people, etc are spot on. I can't wait to be back, and yes I'm a little nervous about the fact that I'm 'old' (as much as 20 can be considered old), and a little concerned I still won't be able to concentrate on study.

- Hurlshot: I used to do cross-country running and orienteering at my old uni, but I stopped when I left. Exercise would probably be a really good idea and I plan to start again when I move in.

- I'm eating slightly more healthily. Recently my diet has consisted mainly of fat and protein and I think the lack of carbs has been hitting me in the form of mild hypoglycemia throughout the day (i.e. basically low energy levels). Thankfully I'll be moving into a catered residence.

- Thanks for your replies Calax and slug. It is helpful to hear other people empathise through their own situations.

- Re volunteering: I'd love to but I don't know where to start. At my old uni I was a maths tutor and that was a wonderful feeling - helping kids understand maths and such. I wanted to go to East Timor this year to do aid work, but the charities require a uni degree and I can't fund myself there. Obviously something closer to home is necessary now. Hopefully I can find something on club day (a day in O week were societies and stuff strut their stuff).

And my final point is: after writing up this big thread, it was like lifting a weight off my shoulders and I basically began to feel better afterwards. It's funny how the mind works. Again, thanks for all the advice guys.

P.S. Although I was more than a little saddened to see Gearbox and Obsidian are on the rocks. :aiee:

- I've been adjusting my sleep patterns over the course of the week and I am now getting up before 10am each day and going to bed before 2am. I think it's started helping.

I've been stuck at 2am-10am for five years. Something to do with finishing a degree without ever having morning classes.

Wait, I did, once, but I didn't go.

It's 1.30am now and I'm having a meal.

Doesn't help that I keep chatting to people in different timezones and now I'm working till 10pm.

uh.. yeah.

Personally, i am to carefree about almost anything that happens to me personally, which i think that made that i never sunk into Campus-fever. Makes me girlfriend almost insane though when i seem to be having little to no troubles in life.

So there are people who function like that. :aiee: I'm really tempted to, sometimes, but I think my mind subconsciously links in with a desire for security and just makes me lazy and static.

Be careful about doctors. The shifty bastards put all kinds of stuff onto databases, and once there it's impossible to remove. :p

Two things about this. In America medical records are sealed to anyone except the health care provider, and the patient. So if I a woman got knocked up and wanted to hide it, she could pretty easily because of the amount of legal work and force required to get those things open. So it may exist, but it won't be in anyone's hands (if it does get out you can sue the doctors pants off for releasing confidential information and probably defamation of character)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I feel ya Krez I've been depressed for little over 3 years from now.

if i could travel into the future, i doubt i'd be depressed. 8)

That's because you haven't seen the future.

:alien:

:o

:p

:aiee:

:skull:

WW3 FTW, Nuclear bombs, Fallout...

Now, you will be able to experience your favorite game in real life!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Be careful about doctors. The shifty bastards put all kinds of stuff onto databases, and once there it's impossible to remove. :p

Two things about this. In America medical records are sealed to anyone except the health care provider, and the patient. So if I a woman got knocked up and wanted to hide it, she could pretty easily because of the amount of legal work and force required to get those things open. So it may exist, but it won't be in anyone's hands (if it does get out you can sue the doctors pants off for releasing confidential information and probably defamation of character)

I suppose so. But that's a lot of schlepp. :alien: I prefer to avoid it coming out in teh first place. Case in point I let slip that I was drinking 40 units of alcohol a week. The doctor looked genuinely pained but dutifully wrote it down. Came back to bit me in the ass, long after I cut it in half. No real way of knowing how the information got out.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thread pruned a teeny weeny bit. Lets keep the Aliens rumours in the Aliens Rumor Watch thread :)

This is the depression thread :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest The Architect

Coming from someone who's spent these last couple years studying externally, in solitude, without regular peer interaction or support, I can understand what you're going through and as already said here buddy, the best thing to do against depression is to distract yourself, absorb everything that's happening around you, not in you. You surround yourself with people who you think aren't depressed and hopefully their optimism will put you back on your feet in no time.

I just painted the spare room burnt orange. Nails depression, I can tell you. And peels your retinas off like old wallpaper, but that's incidental.

-Elwood Blues