FEAR 2 demo next week

Morgoth

Sorry, you have to give a reason why you think a possible new NOLF would lack the charm of it's predecessor. Unless I've missed something majorly, your statement doesn't make any sense at all. Monolith can still make a kicking NOLF.

On what are you basing that statement? How long was NOLF 2 made? Are any of the developers who made that game still around? Would they have the same freedom from the publisher?

There's no basis for saying because they did it once, they can do it again.

Ken Levine made a great game in system shock 2 and then failed horribly witrh Bioshock. Every game is its own entity; the circumstances that created one game will never be duplicated a second time.

Who cares about making a NOLF sequel anyway. Screw that. Just make a new IP that has the same basic design goals as the NOLF games. How hard is that?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Just make a new IP that has the same basic design goals as the NOLF games. How hard is that?

Yeah, then let's just make NOLF 3 then.

Monolith?

Or make FLON 1. All original. No Pressures from cranky fans. Monolith?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This better be good. Seems like it lost most of its subtility.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm at work and thus, not "downloading now!".

The original FEAR had some suprisingly good AI-components. There were some times where i was actually outsmarted by the enemy, good stuff.

However, FEAR 2 doesn't just look "next-generation" enough to have enough hype like its predecessor :lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

lol Project Akira 2: The Appleseed Edition!

I'll wait for the 360 demo, but this has made me giddy alrady.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

the original FEAR was entertaining enough as a time-filler between better games: silly, silly story; repetetive level design but otherwise a decent shooter with a nice atmosphere of dread & some good scary moments.

but it wasn't enough to make me want to buy the expansions & i can't see myself buying FEAR 2 unless and until it's a very rainy weekend and there's nothing better to do.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Ooh, it's out! glad I'm skipping work today.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That was pretty much what I expected. Good thing that they put out a demo though, otherwise I might have actually bought the game(probably not).

The demo was so easy that the only time I died was when I held a grenade too long while trying to figure out how to change grenade types. The enemies' great AI(if it is indeed great) doesn't really come into play when you mow them down the second they appear. Using things for cover didn't seem to be very important either... I played on medium, maybe I should have tried hard. There was also some kinda of auto-aim or aim assist, I think.(the yellow little crosshair that appears when you shoot at an enemy)

The "scary" parts and the "shooty" parts still go together with an audible *clunk*, your time-slowing gun-waving grenade-tossing super soldier turns into wimpy limping cripple who sees everything in black and white and hallucinates of fire and dead people who pretty much just chill there. There are a few closet-monster type scares that I am not a fan of.

The mech part pretty much sealed the deal. It felt like a really awkward arcade shooter, you shoot enemies when they appear and look at a increasingly glowy, static-y HUD that tells you unimportant mech-stuff. Then you get out and play the game some more. Also, all the enemies spew some blue stuff when you shoot at them. Are they all cyborgs or something?

The only good thing to come out of this for me is the inevitable Zero Punctuation Review.

Edit: I should mention that the sound and the music were pretty good.

Edited by Purkake

Hmm. It's weird. I remember reviewing FEAR and being blown away by the graphics, the fantastic frantic action and the brutal enemy AI.. before I got bored with the level design after 15 minutes and started hating the game. But then I realized I actually played it to the end so it must have had something.

I'm downloading the demo.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You can't lean WTF

Console game. >_<

Actually it is surprisingly unconsol-y. Mouse control is not gimped and only some items on the ground glow(and not as much as in say Bioshock.) Also it is optimized pretty well(I'm looking at you GTAIV). Too bad I don't like the game, but to each his own...