Planescape's 10 year anniversary...

I just went to equip Morte with Ingress' teeth and... wow... an entire conversation (and a damn funny one at that) has been added to the game. I wonder how many of these little gems am I going to find. I also wonder if this was original (cut) content, or if it was made for the fan patch.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Definitely on my top 10 list of best RPG games ever made. Quite a bit of things go into making a good RPG and I think Torment really nailed those elements.

-Good story? One of the best, if not THE best in a RPG. Check.

-Good rule system? D&D rules are one of my favs. Check.

-Music? I sometimes listen to Planescape music when not playing the game. Check.

-Good graphics? Love the infinity engine. While not as flashy as IWD it was still a great looking game. Check.

Ok... so the combat wasn't all that engaging or challenging, but it had purdy spell effects and combat is pretty low on my checklist of things that make a great RPG anyway. If other elements that make a great rpg are of high or excellent quality than I can almost always overlook lackluster combat/encounters.

I think the infinity engine d&d games were the golden age of rpgs, each one offering an excellent aspect of the genre.

It's also the 10 year anniversary of the d&d crpg message boards, one of the first of which was the planescape torment board, moderated and monitored by JE before he was a hot shot game designer. And frequented by such luminaries as Becker (the humorist), *bows to his audience* Transeer, McComb, and others now lost to the dim past. Very few remain from those long ago days....

10 years of solid entertainment... :ermm:

It's also the 10 year anniversary of the d&d crpg message boards, one of the first of which was the planescape torment board, moderated and monitored by JE before he was a hot shot game designer. And frequented by such luminaries as Becker (the humorist), *bows to his audience* Transeer, McComb, and others now lost to the dim past. Very few remain from those long ago days....

10 years of solid entertainment... :ermm:

Ah yes, the old boards were awesome. I remember Sammael and Fionavar from there. Too bad no one managed to archive them :(

It was the first internet forum that I registered to, I think :)

Obs wants nothing to do with this pile of dung.

It never ceases to amaze me how bad your tastes are.

I have excellent tastes little one. If I wanted to be bored to death with pseudo philosophy, I would read a text book on it.

Retarded npcs, lame story, lame setting = -10

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Pseudo Philosophy? I never got that vibe. I always thought I was playing a guy who wanted to know who he was.

I can bet that, if Planescape Torment would have been about a chick and you would get to "romance" Annah, Raven would been happier than a three head monkey in a banana tree.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I can bet that, if Planescape Torment would have been about a chick and you would get to "romance" Annah, Raven would been happier than a three head monkey in a banana tree.

She'd only accept it if there was a fade-to-black once you got sufficiently intimate. None of this flirtation without sex garbage; Raven wants deep and meaningful relationships with her virtual pals like Aerie. And if she doesn't hear an NPC whine about how you don't pay enough attention to them, then how can she honestly speak highly of the game?

Definitely one of my favorite games.

I remember first seeing the trailer for it on the IWD game disc I think? I had no idea what it was or was supposed to be so it didn't interest me at first. Only later after enjoying BG and IWD so much and discovering that it was based on the same engine and rule set did I actually go out and get a copy.

I remember playing as a fighter first and although I enjoyed my playthrough, I didn't think it was anything special. Then I went back and played as a mage with high intelligence and wisdom and I was amazed at how much depth there was, how much more the story opened up and how much more you could accomplish.

Up to that point, my game experience was mostly blasting aliens and monsters with guns (aside from Infinity Engine games which totally changed my gaming interest direction), so the experience was unique and awesome.

As for a remake, I don't really want it. I think the game is fine the way it is. I think even a graphical update would be bad. There is something about the backgrounds and animations that add so much to the game. I think PS:T's graphics have aged great, and they do a better job at conveying the atmosphere than any 3d engine (if it was remade in 3d with polygons) could.

Though I appreciate the technical and sometimes awe-inspiring graphics of today I think sometimes the games loses a lot of its character when everything portrayed is as close to the reality as possible.

Oh you people! Even on PST's birthday you can't give it a break. Can't we all just agree that it was a flawed game that had a unique setting and a great story? It showed what would happen if fantasy RPGs stepped away from the traditional elves, dwarfs, swords and save the world quests. It is a relic from an older era, showing what could have been.

A modern RPG (Akshun RPG) set in Planescape, or Planescape like world would be pretty rad though.

Obsidian?

The problem with most action RPGs isn't the setting, but the horrible gameplay. Just look at Too Human for example, the setting had promise, but the gameplay destroyed it. I'm holding out for Diablo 3.

A modern RPG (Akshun RPG) set in Planescape, or Planescape like world would be pretty rad though.

Obsidian?

The problem with most action RPGs isn't the setting, but the horrible gameplay. Just look at Too Human for example, the setting had promise, but the gameplay destroyed it. I'm holding out for Diablo 3.

Huh? I always thought the top-down clicky-clicky stuff is horrible gameplay. There's nothing else I can do. I do agree however that TH is some dumbed down bat-****. It's the execution that matters, in the end.

Obsidian?

Huh? I always thought the top-down clicky-clicky stuff is horrible gameplay. There's nothing else I can do. I do agree however that TH is some dumbed down bat-****. It's the execution that matters, in the end.

So what did you mean by action RPG then? For me it's Diablo 1/2 and Titan Quest style games. Do you mean Oblivion/Fallout 3 style stuff?

The top-down clicky-clicky stuff was fun because of all the cool powers and items you had. It is also really fun when you play it co-op.

Obsidian?

So what did you mean by action RPG then? For me it's Diablo 1/2 and Titan Quest style games. Do you mean Oblivion/Fallout 3 style stuff?

The top-down clicky-clicky stuff was fun because of all the cool powers and items you had. It is also really fun when you play it co-op.

Nah, Diablo is a genre on it's own. I'd call that "Hack & Slash RPG".

Action RPG is pretty much everything that let me aim stuff on my own (Bloodlines, Fallout 3, Mass Effect).

Then there's that beat'em up RPG Jade Empire.

And then there're the "only" RPGs like Kotor, BG, IWD, Fallout etc.

Yeah I know, this probably is all silly anyway.

Obsidian?

Nah, Diablo is a genre on it's own. I'd call that "Hack & Slash RPG".

Action RPG is pretty much everything that let me aim stuff on my own (Bloodlines, Fallout 3, Mass Effect).

Then there's that beat'em up RPG Jade Empire.

And then there're the "only" RPGs like Kotor, BG, IWD, Fallout etc.

Yeah I know, this probably is all silly anyway.

Ok, I can see that classification. I don't think that fantasy RPGs work well in first person, though(see Oblivion). Third person works ok, like in Witcher. I can't imagine a Witcher-like game in the Planescape universe. That might be because Planescape is weird in places(gravity is screwed up etc.). If someone went ahead and made the gameplay really unique and didn't screw up the setting, then it could have some potential...