EA Closes One BioWare/Pandemic Studio

Rhomal

This from gamebanshee; funny I just made the comment the other day bioware has new masters and thing are going to change as happens when all dev houses get bought up as the former execs/owners turned middle mgt try to put on a brave face saying 'little changed'... and then I stumble upon this interesting tidbit.

----

Blue's News is pointing to a story on Games On Net claiming that EA has shuttered the Brisbane branch of Pandemic Studios, less than 16 months after acquiring BioWare/Pandemic in 2007.

This recent news wasn't a surprise to employees, and today isn't the first set of cuts to the developer - EA suffered (like the rest of us) from the economic crisis late last year, which saw job losses at various developers. Earlier in the year, it was revealed in a poorly-kept secret that the local development team working on a high-profile (bat-related) title were running behind schedule and had missed a number of internal milestones, meaning the higherups cancelled the project, laying off or relocating staff members.

So - while we're still waiting on official word about just what's been going on (Pandemic's phones have apparently been disconnected), it seems that things aren't as bad as we'd once thought (but not as good as we'd hoped, either). While it seems there's no more Pandemic presence in Australia, at least, for now, there will be something exciting rising from the ashes.

And, judging by the disappointing scores being handed out to Pandemic's The Lord of the Rings: Conquest, it wouldn't surprise me if more people are let go in the near future.

To get a better perspective on just how much things can change in a little over a year, here's a snip from an interview with Pandemic Studios right after the acquisition:

Do you feel that your way of running the studio might change? Are you worried about changes under EA management? Or are you expecting things to continue as they were?

Greg Borrud: No, absolutely. We kind of pride ourselves on our independence for the last couple years, and we definitely want that to continue. And by all signs, that will continue as we move forward.

Nothing is changing internally in terms of management, nothing is changing in terms of the way we develop games, the kind of games we want to develop, our core pillars of building big brands and having event launches, and attracting the best talent in the industry. Those have been kind of core to who we are at Pandemic for years, and we think that actually EA allows us to take that to the next level.

JR: That's why they're partnering with us. That's how they ascribe value to us. They want us to continue to do what we're doing but grow and get even more support from their organization to continue on that path.

GB: We really do see our [company] as hopefully a really strong label within the larger EA organization. We're being brought in to really fill out their action-adventure category. And we think that compliments their strengths in all the other genres. And we think we can really help push their business forward by giving them all the great products in development right now.

Let's hope that Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, and Star Wars: The Old Republic do well or one (or more) of BioWare's studios might suffer the same fate.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Pandemic didn't do so well, so who knows what might have happened without EA? They might have had to lay off even more.

Bioware should be in no danger... if nothing else, they make sure of that.

Nothing is for sure. And, if BIO gets folded, that's tough but I will have zero mercy for them, and will just find my games from another company. EA is a huge company, and they don't have time to play spaghetti games. If they feel closing BIO down will make/save them money/keep them in profitable business; they will most assuredly will.

This is a business. Not a charity.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What does this news have to do with Bioware? Bioware/Pandemic doesn't exist anymore. Both were bought by EA, therefor the former joint venture firm Elevation Partners dissolved.

Oh, and Pandemic? Who cares?

Bioware is Bioware. They'll never fold. I'd bet a million on that.

@Volourn

Typically cynical as ever.

You also know that companies get closed despite making tons of profit these days? You think that's okay?

EA can do what it wants with property owns.

And, what companies get closed when 'making tons of profit'? That's silly. There is no logical reason for a company like EA to close companies that make money.

And, I'm not being cynical. I'm being optimisitic. Cynical would be whining like a baby and how RPGs are doomed if BIo were to close down. I'm optimistic enough to have a happy outlook and look forward to other companies' work. How is that cynical?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

BioWare might fold. It's not their decision to make. However, I think the Doctors could start up a new company and many of the current BioDevs would migrate over. Given that there are 500 people working for BioWare now, we might see a number of different start-ups if EA shut them down.

It could *help* cRPGs, artistically speaking.

Right now, BioWare is working on Mass Effect II, KotOR MMO, Dragon Age, as well as an unannounced title.

I think the biggie is the KotOR MMO. If that succeeds then BioWare is good. If not, they

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

EA can do what it wants with property owns.

And, what companies get closed when 'making tons of profit'? That's silly. There is no logical reason for a company like EA to close companies that make money.

And, I'm not being cynical. I'm being optimisitic. Cynical would be whining like a baby and how RPGs are doomed if BIo were to close down. I'm optimistic enough to have a happy outlook and look forward to other companies' work. How is that cynical?

You got it all wrong.

It's exactly part of the reason of the current economic crysis, because some top managers think "they can do whatever they please with their properties, including all their assets (i.e. employees)"

There needs to be a rulework. For example, Microsoft shut down Ensemble Studios (despite having multi-million sellers and their upcoming Halo Wars on their portfolio) for "internal strategic property review" bullcrap like that reason. Meaning, they can't be squeezed out for making more Halo games. You think that's good company politics if you shut down a 10 year old studio just because it doesn't fit in your current franchise politics? Sorry, this is wrong. You can argue that you can shut down studios for being incompetent or being inprofitable, but not for "political" reasons. This crap needs to stop.

BioWare might fold. It's not their decision to make. However, I think the Doctors could start up a new company and many of the current BioDevs would migrate over. Given that there are 500 people working for BioWare now, we might see a number of different start-ups if EA shut them down.

It could *help* cRPGs, artistically speaking.

Right now, BioWare is working on Mass Effect II, KotOR MMO, Dragon Age, as well as an unannounced title.

I think the biggie is the KotOR MMO. If that succeeds then BioWare is good. If not, they

It's exactly part of the reason of the current economic crysis, because some top managers think "they can do whatever they please with their properties, including all their assets (i.e. employees)" There needs to be a rulework. For example, Microsoft shut down Ensemble Studios (despite having multi-million sellers and their upcoming Halo Wars on their portfolio) for "internal strategic property review" bullcrap like that reason. Meaning, they can't be squeezed out for making more Halo games. You think that's good company politics if you shut down a 10 year old studio just because it doesn't fit in your current franchise politics? Sorry, this is wrong. You can argue that you can shut down studios for being incompetent or being inprofitable, but not for "political" reasons. This crap needs to stop.

Where did you do your MBA, North Korea?

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd rather not to see Bioware fold. It's incredibly hard and timeconsuming to have all the know-how and and team culture established over the years. When Bioware folds, all this gets lost and they basically have to start from scratch with everything, which means we can wait another 5 years or more until the hypotetical new company reaches Bioware quality again.

I'd rather not see it either. ;)

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

North Korean MBAs are very prestigious.

I would argue with Volourn about this issue, but I don't have any confidence in emerging victorious, so I'll just RUN LIKE HELL

Also, is EA's ownership of Bioware total? I think it is?

It's exactly part of the reason of the current economic crysis, because some top managers think "they can do whatever they please with their properties, including all their assets (i.e. employees)" There needs to be a rulework. For example, Microsoft shut down Ensemble Studios (despite having multi-million sellers and their upcoming Halo Wars on their portfolio) for "internal strategic property review" bullcrap like that reason. Meaning, they can't be squeezed out for making more Halo games. You think that's good company politics if you shut down a 10 year old studio just because it doesn't fit in your current franchise politics? Sorry, this is wrong. You can argue that you can shut down studios for being incompetent or being inprofitable, but not for "political" reasons. This crap needs to stop.

No. But thanks for the compliment.

If EA closes Bioware anytime soon, they'll really have lots of explaining to do over the $800 million they spent last year on behalf of their shareholders. As stated previously, EA and Bio are really counting on the Star Wars MMO. Approaching WoW levels of popularity or bust.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Was reading in the business pages that video games and delivery pizza are the economic phoenixes rising from the ashes of the Credit Crunch.

OK, there will be restructuring (and by getting into bed with Microsoft should know exactly what you're letting yourself in for in that respect) which will very sadly result in job losses. But, in the whole, the industry is better positioned to ride out the current crisis than many others. It's like an epidemic - when others are dying you should consider yourself lucky that you've only got a headache.

Volourn is right to be steely-eyed about it - a few in the creative industries have a tendency to see themselves as a breed apart from civilians..."but we're creatives..."

Er, no.

sonsofgygax.JPG

RPGs would not be doomed if Bioware closed. The remnants can be split among Obsidian and Bethesda. Of course I would pay good money to see Chris Avellone and J.E. Sawyer versus David Gaider and Stanley Woo in a tag team no holds barred wrestling match.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Really, considering the increasing unemployment rate in America, we'd probably better worry about what will happen to our lives than game industry. >_<

Nixon has the answer!

I honestly think BioWare has nothing to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if an economic resession *helped* MMO sales.

uh, let me get this straight:

EA closes down a fledgling Pandemic branch in Brisbane, Australia and you guys start discussing whether Bio is gonna fold?

jesus.

we ain't even comparing apples and oranges at this point. this is apples and those tiny little grapenut things they put in cereal.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Also, is EA's ownership of Bioware total? I think it is?

No way to know without looking at the contracts. I wonder if EA has the rights to their IPs?

You can bet they do have rights covered for everything Bio ever created and is not owned by ATARI...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

EA closes down a fledgling Pandemic branch in Brisbane, Australia and you guys start discussing whether Bio is gonna fold?

jesus.

we ain't even comparing apples and oranges at this point. this is apples and those tiny little grapenut things they put in cereal.

Sorry but you are wrong... Bioware and Pandemic was purchased as one entity...

But serves them right... If you dance with wolves, be prepared to get eaten...

and Bioware?... I bet EA was realy dissapointed with the sales numbers of Mass Effect...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

jesus.

Don't be surprised to say goodbye to Bioware if ME2 and Dragon age don't sell as well as EA expect, that doesn't mean "Not make a profit", they could make a profit, but if it's not large enough... Well... You get what I'm saying.

EA is pretty obsessed with it's metacritic scores at the moment.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

EA is pretty obsessed with it's metacritic scores at the moment.

Really? I actually think they are more concerned with how much money their game makes, seems to be all about bottom line with these folks. I think they'll let a poor metacritic score slide if the game's making money. The recent trend is that better games make more money so that's why they have become seemingly obsessed with scoring.