GTX 295

Bokishi

Meh, too expensive and no performance improvement to boot. Price/performanceratio-wise, Radeon 4870 X2 ftw!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

2x cards are usually more trouble than they're worth, my summer with SLi taught me as much. One humongous card is the best,

ATi is rubbish as usual, my friends who bought 4000-series card cant play PoP for instance because the drivers are the usual ATI quality.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

ATi is rubbish as usual, my friends who bought 4000-series card cant play PoP for instance because the drivers are the usual ATI quality.

You say that as if nVidia has no driver problems of their own. My 4850 and 4870 both max out PoP just fine. Didn't have a single crash during my play through.

Kinda disappointed in the 295. Didn't really have any expectations, but having it only match the 4870 X2 just doesn't seem like that big of a jump. :rolleyes:

As superfluous to me as the ati 48xxX2 and the other GX2s *shrug*

ATi is rubbish as usual (...) because the drivers are the usual ATI quality.
stop spreading fud. My old 6800GT wouldn't run NWN1 with AA and couldn't start (ironically) PoP at all - does that make nVidia rubbish? My G400 used to cause colored stripes on my desktop after a certain game I've forgotten - does that make Matrox rubbish? My current ATI is running with handbrake on if using AA in the Witcher - does that make ATI rubbish?

It's just FUD.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I'm just curoius as to why nvidia nevers stops being epic. Looks like I need new cards. :lol:

Actually, how do two of these compare to three of the 285s?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Considering the majority of gamers use Nvidia cards that Google fight result is to be expected. I don't have a preference one way or the other but I still have never owned an ATI card, except for a Rage IIc that came bundled with the last PC I bought.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Considering the majority of gamers use Nvidia cards that Google fight result is to be expected. I don't have a preference one way or the other but I still have never owned an ATI card, except for a Rage IIc that came bundled with the last PC I bought.

If I recall correctly the last Steam survey said the ratio was something like 65-35 nVidia-ATi. For lack of any better numbers and unless I'm misremember and my math is horribly wrong, then you've got about equal ratio of problems to cards being used. Either way, nVidia are not free of their own driver problems and that was the main point I was trying to get across.

Edited by Deraldin

except for a Rage IIc that came bundled with the last PC I bought.
Wow, must have been some time since you bought your last PC :(

Yeah, it was bought in 1999, the year I started uni. After that, all I ever did was upgrades, in practice. The keyboard is the only thing I still use from that PC. I lurve it.

@Deraldin: And you're right about that. Driver problems for graphics cards are really a question of public perception. AMD has similar problems with their processors. Even when the Thunderbird was thumping the Pentium both in performance and cost, customers still saw AMD's processors as less reliable than Intel's.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Both ATI and NV have a fair share of driver issues. That said, ATI is most certainly not rubbish, their drivers have matured a lot in the last years.

Anyway, about this new GTX 295: this review came as a surprise to me. I was expecting the GTX 295 to take this one. But considering the performance numbers and prices, this new NV offering doesn't really make sense. So NV is still in a pretty bad position. If you ask me, they should focus more on the mainstream and performance segments, as their current line-up is getting badly bruised by ATI offerings where it counts. This dual-GPU stuff is just marketing fluff.

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Yes, but you know what, I think it works: It has nVidia back at the "fastest available card" position, even if it is not by much and costs a LOT of silicon (two really big chips) - it immediately will glow back to the less-than-glorious GTX 280 and 260, and the upcoming 285 is going to improve the situation further. I'd guess this is a mission accomplished for nVidia here.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority