Australia to Resettle Guantanamo Detainees

Guard Dog

Does this remind anyone else of a game of Illuminati? i love that game. What they need is an online version.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can't think of one example where the UN has handled anything remotely successfully. Commitments are patchy, command structures bloated and sluggish, attention spans butterfly thin. And that's before you factor in the inherently creaky mechanisms of UN mandates.

Until we can come up with a better global forum for dealing with global issues, it's the only game in town.

The WHO and the UNCHR have had some notable successes, such as eradicating smallpox, and one other easily treated pandemic, what was it again... some time in the 50s. That's not to say it could not have been achieved more efficiently, but it's a good example of why you need a global forum.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Good news for anti Amerikans... according to Russian 'experts', Amerika will be 'no more' by the end of 2010...

The next logical question is who will the world's ire be turned towards next as the 'big bad bully'. R00fles!

Luxembourg!

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Until we can come up with a better global forum for dealing with global issues, it's the only game in town.

The WHO and the UNCHR have had some notable successes, such as eradicating smallpox, and one other easily treated pandemic, what was it again... some time in the 50s. That's not to say it could not have been achieved more efficiently, but it's a good example of why you need a global forum.

I see where you're going, but I don't think it works. Some things just aren't safe until they actually work. It's like saying that its ok to drive your car with faulty brakes because you can't afford to fix them.

The health things are a good example, but of a different issue. They are good, well defined, slow issues that don't move quicker than the bureaucracy that is managing them. Unlike military-political situations.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oh well, nothing is going to change anyway. The US will continue to poke its nose where it doesn't belong. The UN will still be largely ineffective. Most of the nations will stomp their feet in disgust at the US while at the same time asking the US for a hand out. Nothing ever changes.

Well they have some competition again.

Russia just passed a law authorising their military to station warships at various countries (100 or so) around the world "in case a something goes wrong or a situation flares up".

Don't get me wrong, I'd like America to have some competition for status as 'world police' - I'd just prefer it be, say, Europe, instead of a corrupt Russia that's slowly reverting back to totalitarianism and agitating for Cold War 2.0.

I think I've managed to derail us.

Gitmo detainees. Some innocents, but mostly highly dubious characters? If so, why on Earth would anyone want them?

-Elwood Blues

I think I've managed to derail us.

Gitmo detainees. Some innocents, but mostly highly dubious characters? If so, why on Earth would anyone want them?

This might sound cynical, but several prisons in the US making a lot of money by having their prisoners to work for different subcontractors in different industries (within the prison of course). The wage is in the vein of cents per hour and the workers are not allowed to unionize or anything remotely similar. I mean, who wouldn't want those people, that are most likely to spend their lives inside the prison walls. Instead of waiting for death, while not work yourself to death instead?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't think US prisons are anything any decent, civilised country should be aspiring to.

There are many that are better than some inner city neighborhoods.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

"Also the UN is the best the world has to deal with joint projects."

LOLZ

"The US cannot afford to do things alone no matter what the Neo-Cons thinks."

Hilariously enough, neither Iraq or Afghanistan were solo projects.

They might as well be. The only other nation that did any significant work was Britain and they have pretty bugged out now. Everyone else that contributed only gave token support.

And this proves you've got no idea what your talking about. Australia's had forces in both regions before during AND after US involvement. Especially in Afghanistan.

Shall I have to hunt you down like the sorry dog that you are?

Interplay shall never truly die while we remember her.

Indeed, one thing you can say about the Aussies. They know when a job wants doing, and they bloody stick to it.

-Elwood Blues

Mmm. Australia sent thousands of troops, as did America and Britain. Our commitment obviously isn't as large as America and Britain's, but it's still formidable.

I'm pretty sure Poland did similar.

I fully support the Afghanistan peacekeeping effort. I'm still unsure about Iraq; I obviously support our forces, but the intentions for the invasion were misplaced, and there are worse brutal dictatorships in the world. Though that's not really an excuse for inaction, either, in my mind - I guess history will be the arbiter here.