Christmas food

Walsingham

Christ on a donkey! You weren't kidding!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Mayonaise on fish si good, on salad good, on certain cold meat good also. But you dont put it on cake, darnit!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

have you ever had cincinnati style chili? cinammon. ugh. it.was.horrible. my mother thought it would be cool to try, but then again, she's also well known for the onion pie that hit the trashcan after one bite from my dad. fortunately, SHE was the one that put the chili down the drain. awful.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

have you ever had cincinnati style chili? cinammon. ugh. it.was.horrible. my mother thought it would be cool to try, but then again, she's also well known for the onion pie that hit the trashcan after one bite from my dad. fortunately, SHE was the one that put the chili down the drain. awful.

taks

I made a cinnamon and allspice type chilli just teh other day. I liked it! :)

What puzzles me about the mayonnaise is that if you are just adding eggs and oil, why not just add eggs and oil? Is it the emulsion you need?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

cincinnati chili? it's a real specific recipe and not just cinammon, but the cinammon was what i didn't like. it's popular in OH so i guess at least some people like it, you included. :)

i would think so on the emulsion. it probably makes the egg cook differently.

taks

After some thought I decided my Christmas dinner will be a lightly grilled Yellowfin steak, 2 lobster tails (spiny lobster), conch salad with tangerine slices and sauteed zuchinni, tomatos, and mushrooms. You can take me out of Florida but I guess you can't take Florida out of me!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Fruit Pizza. Since I'm not a big fan of sweets this isn't at the top of me recommendations, however, since I am in the minority in this viewpoint, I thought I'd throw this out for you guys. My wife made this and according to to others, it isn't too bad.

The 'crust ' is sugar cookie batter backed to about a 1/4 inch thickness. Bake according to the packages instructions. Now cover it with a glaze of cream cheese whipped with honey ( to taste ). That will give you the 'sause'. Then you add the 'toppings'. Sliced grapes, blueberries, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, whatever ( you get the drill ) and you've got a fruit pizza. Now start a small pot of water to boil and add sugar to create a simple syrup. Saturate the water with sugar to make it thick and while it is still hot, carefully brush/dab it on the 'pizza' with some sort of brush ( a paint brush works just fine here ). This will, in addition to making it sweeter, add a vapor barrier to prevent the fruits from turning brown as well as adding a shine to the 'pizza'. Refrigerate obviously until serving.

Credit given here to my wife for this recipe :wink:.

post-643-1230101881_thumb.jpg

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

New Years were having cornish game hens. I'm deciding whether to go with a citrus or asian inspired marinade, either way it should turn out alright but I've never dealt with these things before. As for Christmas my mom is going to make prime rib....again, even though every freakin year I tell her not to becuase number 1 she sucks at "cooking" and number 2 prime rib is something that should be done by a professional who has the tools and technique, none of which we have. We don't even have a freakin meat thermometer or at least one that is anywhere near half reliable. I'm freakin angry.

Edit: We made fruit pizza in cooking/nutrition class. Just another reason to hate vegetarians. And yes vegetarians should be hated. Horrible people.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

We don't even have a freakin meat thermometer or at least one that is anywhere near half reliable. I'm freakin angry.

Edit: We made fruit pizza in cooking/nutrition class. Just another reason to hate vegetarians. And yes vegetarians should be hated. Horrible people.

Yeah, a thermometer is kinda a requirement. Most meats should be cooked at 165 Deg F for 20 seconds to eliminate most foodborne illnesses. A cheap tool however at $10 USD.

Vegetarian=Lousy hunter. :wink:

I don't ask for meat at every meal but it is nice once in a while. I like to think that I'm smarter that what is required to sneak up on a plant for a meal.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Drinking for 12 hours yesterday, I invented a venison stew (very finely chopped venison), with onions, garlic, leeks, pepper and marjoram. A bit of red wine, and served over mustard mash, and drizzled with truffle oil (I did say I was drunk). Unbelievably good.

-Elwood Blues

This is what I am making for New Years Eve.

Cola Baked Ham

1/2 uncooked ham (5-6 lb.)

1 c. brown sugar

1-1/2 c. Coca Cola

1 c. crushed pineapple

Instructions

Wash ham thoroughly. Rub fat side with brown sugar. Pour Coca Cola over ham. Pour crushed pineapple over ham. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 3 hours.

On topic here is how I go with the Christmas as well as Thanksgiving Turkey

Honey

Soy Sause

White Wine (which is injected into bird before cooking)

Cover until last 30 minutes

:)

i did carraba's for dinner tonight. yum. best chain italian on the planet. better than macaroni grill by far. they modified their menu, too, and the bill was cheaper than i normally see in spite of having two desserts which we normally don't do. oh, tonight was wine wednesday, too, and it took about an hour and 15 to get seated (we arrived 40 minutes into that duration). of course, i made my way to the bar and, well, time and a bottle of wine make fools of us all. :)

happy new year everyone!

taks

i did carraba's for dinner tonight. yum. best chain italian on the planet. better than macaroni grill by far. they modified their menu, too, and the bill was cheaper than i normally see in spite of having two desserts which we normally don't do. oh, tonight was wine wednesday, too, and it took about an hour and 15 to get seated (we arrived 40 minutes into that duration). of course, i made my way to the bar and, well, time and a bottle of wine make fools of us all. :)

happy new year everyone!

taks

I went to a carraba's once like 5 years ago and didn't think it was that great. The mild food poisoning didn't help their cause.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.