Fallout 3 First Impressions

Guys, please be a bit more careful with the spoilers in here. Either use spoiler tags or post it in the Fallout 3 thread in the spoiler section.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I just swam all the way to rivet city to avoid the battles, and I find the damn place locked. What a ripoff. I guess finding the key is somehow related to the main quest.

... theres a intercom thingy on land that will allow you to have a bridge swung out for you to cross to the carrier.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm picking the game up today or tomorrow. This is a really good thread, helped me make my mind up, thanks to all who've contributed.

I like marksman / stealth characters with some diplomacy skills and maybe a tiny smattering of tech ability. Any ideas for a character build? Because to be honest that manual will kill me and I haven't played anything using SPECIAL for a couple of years.

Don't mind minor spoilers, power-gaming or meta-builds either.

Cheers in advance,

MC

BTW: Most surreal moment of the week? Walking through a small rural English village on a frosty autumn morning to be confronted by a 3' high picture of a BOS trooper at a bus stop ad. FO3 advertising has gone massive here in the UK, presumably because it's a big console title.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I like marksman / stealth characters with some diplomacy skills and maybe a tiny smattering of tech ability. Any ideas for a character build? Because to be honest that manual will kill me and I haven't played anything using SPECIAL for a couple of years.

I honestly think that's the default character for the game. I finally got my small guns + sneak skill up and have been 1-shotting everything; I'm level 8. The Chinese Assult Rifle and 10mm minigun are my best friends right now.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I wish you could give your companions orders. In the Crysler Building, I had to leave dogmeat outside, as he'd immediately go on a rampage and bring everything in the building over to slaughter us. The building itself is a disappointment. This game has too many dungeons-to-nowhere. You enter a hostile area, and battle your way to the bottom to find
Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

If you sneak dogmeat will stay close to you and growl in the direction of danger, he won't immediately charge off and get killed. of course sneaking commando style through a whole area takes a high score. You get accuracy bonuses when crouched as well.

I was sneaking. He still drew them to me because he doesn't do sneak attacks.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I see.

Well, I agree that after a while everything gets very 'two mudcrabs and a pile of bonedust', particularly the DC train stations.

In the beginning there's lots of scripted encounters like saving big town, as the game goes on they become less and less frequent. I started just sneaking through stations long ago.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I think "contentwise" the downtown area is the biggest disappointment because of the rate of encounters, plus the fact that you have to go through tunnels filled with even more monsters. I love the idea of exploring a barren urban landscape but as it is I think it's slightly to much of a warzone for my tastes (though that is also obviously what they were aiming for). It gets repetetive.

Exploring the wasteland outside the main city is more fun.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0