id says that Rage Too Complicated For User Mods

id: Rage Too Complicated For User Mods

id say that user mods of their new driving/shooting things game Rage might not be possible due to the complex way the game engine handles textures.

The id Tech 5 engine uses 'MegaTextures' - huge texture maps (up to 128000x128000 pixels) that require huge amounts of preprocessing to create.

id - and John Carmack in particular - are still very much pro-modding and have confirmed their plans to eventually open-source id Tech 5, but are unsure if there is a way around this technical limitation. Simply put, it is unlikely that any modder would have the computing resources that are required.

Just a thought - this sounds like an area where a project like Folding @ Home could be useful. Sure, cancer might not get cured as quick but, c'mon - MegaTextures!

http://kotaku.com/5052005/id-rage-too-comp...d-for-user-mods

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Not surprising really, considering the sheer size of megatextures... Carmack is hardly one to think it's worthwhile to invest resources in developing faster code when he can throw a faster computer at it, especially when it's something like this that can be done over night.

That said he may turn his hand to it further down the line.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Meh. Ambitious Mod makers will never hold back to create something good, no matter how "complicated" the tools are. Heck, look at the Thief FMs. Most crappiest Leveleditor I've ever seen, but people still continue to make great FMs with it. Waiting for rendering MegaTextures? So what, good excuse to get some sleep.

I never expected people not to try, but it's not likely to be an easy process like source and hammer is.

Think "Advanced Modders".

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Meh. Ambitious Mod makers will never hold back to create something good, no matter how "complicated" the tools are. Heck, look at the Thief FMs. Most crappiest Leveleditor I've ever seen, but people still continue to make great FMs with it. Waiting for rendering MegaTextures? So what, good excuse to get some sleep.

And some games don't even have one...

@Nightshape: Neither was KotOR modding at the start. Things change, tools are developed by the community... mods happen. Maybe someone will create a system to extract only part of a texture at a time, or something. In any case, that kind of texture size is probably going to cause problems just being used in a game...

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

In any case, that kind of texture size is probably going to cause problems just being used in a game...

The idea behind MegaTexturing is that the game only loads the bits and pieces of the texture it needs. Here's an old interview with Carmack that explains things better: http://www.gamerwithin.com/?view=article&a...le=1319&p=1

I'm definitely looking forward to this game like Bokishi.

No boob mod for you! HA!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"