Spore!

Kaftan Barlast

Regular pirates or space pirates?

Space, there aren't any regular pirates.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Regular pirates are just ninjas in disguise.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

There is a creature bonus that limits the bad events that happen to you I believe.

If you're a vicious carnivore pirates attack less.

speaking as a vicious carnivore, though, i still get pirated reasonably often.

it's a pain but it doesn't actually inhibit gameplay too badly.

dumber than a bag of hammers

There is a creature bonus that limits the bad events that happen to you I believe.

You mean a download, or some reward type bonus for doing something in the game?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You mean a download, or some reward type bonus for doing something in the game?

If you're aggressive in one of the earlier stages (Civ, I think) then pirate raid frequencies are reduced. But not by much, comparitively.

If you're aggressive in one of the earlier stages (Civ, I think) then pirate raid frequencies are reduced. But not by much, comparitively.

Thanks for the info. Sounds at least helpful, but then of course it limits you to what 'style' you'd choose to play.

It's been nice to see the good/bad viewpoints in this thread...my initial enthusiasm isn't quite as high, but I think I still want to check it out before too long. :wub:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I see Spore like the Sims, where you stop playing and then pick it up again once you discover something new. Right now I'm terraforming planets and moving its creatures up the evolution ladder. If I don't like how things are turning out, then I just put the planet through another Ice Age and start afresh

Question: Registering your game & making a Sporepedia account is how you can download creatures and buildings other people make...is that how you populate/encounter other worlds w/creatures not of your making? ie, let's say you didn't register (or just didn't download Sporepedia stuff)...would the space stage of the game then be really boring because of lack of variety in colonization, or something?

Edited by LadyCrimson

No, it would be populated by Maxis-made monsters.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Question: Registering your game & making a Sporepedia account is how you can download creatures and buildings other people make...is that how you populate/encounter other worlds w/creatures not of your making? ie, let's say you didn't register (or just didn't download Sporepedia stuff)...would the space stage of the game then be really boring because of lack of variety in colonization, or something?

i dunno because i registered my copy. but i suspect the game has a sufficient amount of built-in content to keep things ticking over ... it'd maybe get repetitive after a while, but then it does that eventually anyway.

I'm at the Tribal Stage. The creature editor is creatively fun, but the game is so-so. Pretty, and fun for the first 10 minutes of each 'stage', but then repetitive and confining.

I think the problem for me is that I was expecting a more...seamless?...concept of creature evolution, rather than these drastically different split up stages. I also didn't realize that eventually the game wouldn't be about designing/creature evolution at all, but rather the spaceship thing. I was also hoping for more of a 'sandbox' mode - the editor is one thing, but a playable sandbox would be nice.

Question - the game booklet shows a 'progress meter' for the Space stage. Does it take a really long time for it to fill up, compared to the other stages? Or is it just as fast? Just wondering, since so many people seem to think space stage is the best stage/"real" game, or something. Do they just keep playing after the progress meter is full, or what?

I think the problem for me is that I was expecting a more...seamless?...concept of creature evolution, rather than these drastically different split up stages. I also didn't realize that eventually the game wouldn't be about designing/creature evolution at all, but rather the spaceship thing.

yeah, once you're past the creature stage, the actual physical evolution of your creature stops, which is a shame. your conduct towards other tribes & civilizations still matters to the bonuses you get, but you're no longer controlling your creature (until maybe the space stage, when you're flying round your spaceship).

Question - the game booklet shows a 'progress meter' for the Space stage. Does it take a really long time for it to fill up, compared to the other stages? Or is it just as fast? Just wondering, since so many people seem to think space stage is the best stage/"real" game, or something. Do they just keep playing after the progress meter is full, or what?

yeah, you can keep playing after the progress meter fills up.

...space stage is the best stage/"real" game, or something.

I'm sure you've figured this out, but that opinion is obviously untrue. The different stages all have something different to bring to the table and they're all lovely and sparkly in their own way (except tribal and Civ which just plain sucks, both of them, sucks.). The reason most people say that the space stage is the most fun is that it is definately the most "harcore" part and will appeal to people who normally play lots of games. Creature and cell stage will appeal to gamers who can watch their girlfriends have fun actually playing a vidya game or alternatively play it with their children/babies/dragons as there will be increased fun from the 3rd party participants.

But yeah, get to space and decide the worth of the game there and only there.

I'm personally taking a break from Spore, but it is definately a game that I'll return to once I feel like terraforming a race to oblivion again.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif