GC 2008 screenshots

He does make a point. Some of the environments don't look all that "lived in". That might be the point though, since all the stuff looks very polished and clean, which is fine if that's what you're aiming at.

That is, in fact, the desk of a sociopath.

So, it's the boss' desk? :shifty:

Anyhoo, the first and third pictures, judging by the colorpresentation, reeks of Deus Ex. In a good way ofcourse. 'Extreme' collargrabbing and ridicolus facial expressions aside, i like what i am seeing.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Let's compare.

1216141299_AP_Screenshot_E32008_02.jpg

1219243407_5.JPG

Yeah this is looking much better.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

He manipulates, shoots, and beats people up. You have a pretty forgiving definition of sociopath if that doesn't qualify MT.
I don't think you know what that word means. A sociopath is someone with heavily restricted (or no) feelings of emotions or empathy.

On the contrary:

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

None of those characteristics of superspy meet the deeper psychological requirements of sociopath for behaviour. People can manipulate, shoot and beat people up without being sociopath. (though new Bond definetly is)

Manipulative and Conning

They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Thorton can be nice guy aka roleplaying

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt

A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Again, point of roleplaying

Shallow Emotions

When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

roleplaying

Callousness/Lack of Empathy

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

roleplaying

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature

Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

roleplaying. Doesn't sound very Bourne, right?

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency

Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

roleplaying

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Maybe you wouldn't control the player, but would actually control what's on the desk, influencing Thornton into certain things or going down a certain path.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

He manipulates, shoots, and beats people up. You have a pretty forgiving definition of sociopath if that doesn't qualify MT.
I don't think you know what that word means. A sociopath is someone with heavily restricted (or no) feelings of emotions or empathy.

On the contrary:

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

I know what a sociopath is. The most defining characteristics of a sociopath are lack of emotion and empathy, not manipulative behavior or promiscuity; those are merely results of the complete disregard for others sociopaths have.

# Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt

A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

# Shallow Emotions

When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

# Incapacity for Love

. . .

# Callousness/Lack of Empathy

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Yes, please let's turn this thread into a "Who can google sociopath the quickest and pretend we all knew that already?" game!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, please let's turn this thread into a "Who can google sociopath the quickest and pretend we all knew that already?" game!

How about we not and then I do not have to move from the Roost and the Squad does not have to actually do any work as we are, inherently, much too subjective and lazy to work ...

/FLoSD.ObE

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

1UP GC 2008 Preview

What's our take? Because of its hybrid nature, Alpha Protocol's ripe for comparison to games such as Mass Effect and Fallout 3. On the one hand, that's good company to be in and a popular new niche to join -- but on the other hand, those are some rather high-quality titles to have to live up to. Depending on how well Obsidian polishes the final product, your feelings toward Alpha Protocol are likely to stem from one of these two outlooks. The international intrigue looked as fun as a Bond flick, and the hints at a deep conspiracy running through the plot reminded me of why I enjoy the Bourne series...but until I get my hands on the controller myself, I'm not sure which side I'll take in this conflict.

IGN Preview

The build at GC build was certainly more impressive than what we saw at E3, as it was a lot smoother and polished. Alpha Protocol will contain somewhere around 20 hours of gameplay and is scheduled to ship sometime in February 2009 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.
Edited by funcroc

Dual-wielding SMGs and pistols.

That is all.

The new screenies sure look more enticing! Seriously Xard, when I saw that picture I noticed that something was wrong but I would never have gone that way, thanks for pointing it out and giving me a few good lulz, that was an awesome job :p

The tanned lady in gear with the lace bra and the big gun ... I can't see much from her face but I like what I can see. WOOF!

The graphics look a lot more polished and the the physics look a lot more natural, but I get the feeling that you Devs still haven't stopped tinkering your way through the UT3 engine. I was pretty excited from the start about this game, now I think I'm pretty much sold.

When enemies know you're around and start shooting, your combat skills can be useful for returning fire, especially if you have dual SMGs equipped. By using a bullet storm special ability, you'll briefly be awarded with unlimited ammunition to go on a limited tear, ideal for wiping out a larger group of foes.

ಠ_ಠ

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Probably a mistake from their part, bullet storm supposedly removes the need to reload for a while.

Then again, I could be ways off with that.

Edit:typo days ftw

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Probably a mistake from their part, bullet storm supposedly removes the need to reload for a while.

Ahh, that sounds reasonable.

This was second or third time when that conception came up btw

Either OE is

A) Keeping it quiet about horrible Unlimited ammo design

B) OE is communicating really badly

C) Journalists just don't get their heads around the horrible unlimited ammo design and live in lie and presume it doesn't exist

D) Journalists just didn't get it

Gamespot GC08 Preview

We may have covered a lot of Alpha Protocol at E3 recently, but we managed to see a little bit more at this year's Leipzig Games Convention. We managed to secure an appointment to see the latest build of the game at the Sega booth, where they were able to show us a couple of new things about this promising spy-based MMORPG [sic].

*ROFL*

On another note, you get to see consequences of your action or reports on TV, or through e-mails... which doesn't scream "awesome" but adds some depth.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

I hope they're Bloodlines quality. Some TV-stuff was absolutely hilarious

*ROFL*

On another note, you get to see consequences of your action or reports on TV, or through e-mails... which doesn't scream "awesome" but adds some depth.

I think that it can be a great a way to see how the world is affected by your actions, and how the world ultimately affects your missions.

Also, it could be a way to lead the player into using ammo a bit more sparsely. For example, Thorton can go into a mission with guns akimbo, shooting anything that moves, and setting off alarms all over the place. However, that would put the player all over the news, thus making subsequent missions a lot harder.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Gamespy GC08 preview

Spiffy: Cool customization features; get to act like a spy in a vast and dark conspiracy; multiple endings and lots of skills to charge up.`

Iffy: At the moment, the graphics aren't polished like we would expect from a next-gen game.

...But the most interesting part of the safehouse is actually the bathroom, where you will be able to fully customize your character, simply making him look into the mirror without any special interface. The developers said that they chose to leave Michael Thorton without a particular characterization because they wanted the player to make him their own personal alter-ego via the game's many customization features...

...The enemies have a red circle over their heads, which will decrease in color whenever you hit them with your ranged or close-combat attacks. Yes, there's also the possibility to beat them up, with spectacular combos and acrobatic martial arts-style hits. Of course, if you like the "stealth espionage" model, you can avoid jumping into action at breakneck speed, using stealth instead of brute force...

...Whatever way you bring your missions to a successful end, you will be rewarded with points to spend in your various abilities in a way that closely resembles BioWare's Mass Effect...

...The visuals were better than in the E3 demo, but still need to be polished a little more...

So true.

Besides, we've reached the point where graphics aren't going to get much better anyways.