Downloadable Content

So considering this is the first game made for the next-gen consoles by Obsidz, I was wondering if we'd be seeing any sort of post/simultaneous-release DLC for the game beyond the usual avatar pics and dashboard themes.

- Since the game is said to have a camo / disguise / outfit system, would we see outfits or items be made available via DLC? Things like this in other games, like MGS4 and Dead Rising, are usually given out freely. They don't even really have to "fit" into the game, per se. Just for fun, like in Dead Rising. I'd love it if I could go through Alpha Protocol with my character decked out in Hooligan facepaint and a flowerprint dress, or a gold-lame jumpsuit, or hell, throw a reference to Obsidz past with some jedi robes or maybe some chainmail. MGS4 had some interesting camouflage items that didn't help you in any obvious way but affected gameplay subtly, by increasing the chance for enemies to react in a certain way (burst out laughing, run away in fear, etc.)

- Extra weapons. This one's been done in a few games, but they're usually sold instead of given away. They've been met with some resistance in some games, like the Godfather game, because you're essentially spending real money to gain an in-game edge. Perhaps they could just be inconspicuously inserted into the inventory of arms dealers and the like?

- Developer commentary. Valve ships these with their games, but MGS4 for example has a (apparently dead in the water) series of "podcasts" that you can download. These would be free.

- Extra levels or quests. This seems pretty unlikely, as AP strikes me as a Fallout / KOTOR sort of deal, where the shipped product isn't really modified or expanded upon except in sequels, and besides, how's it going to fit in with the story, and who's going to work on it? They would require lots of forethought and work, far beyond any other superfluous DLC addons.

Edited by Pop

If there'll be DLC it should be really meaningful and worthwile. Pity those players who were forced to PAY for the sad excuse for DLC that was released for ME

And then there's horse armor

Umm...let's not go there. You must block the mere words out of your mind

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

- Extra levels or quests. This seems pretty unlikely, as AP strikes me as a Fallout / KOTOR sort of deal, where the shipped product isn't really modified or expanded upon except in sequels, and besides, how's it going to fit in with the story, and who's going to work on it? They would require lots of forethought and work, far beyond any other superfluous DLC addons.

If I like the game (combat system, character progression, "feel", etc) and the game's system allows it, I wouldn't mind paying for an additional town or two. You know how it's been said that we can fly to different destinations in the world? Well, what if we're actually able to walk into an airport in the game and the DLC would appear as a new flight destination?

Instead of just having Hong Kong, London, Paris, New York (the usual suspects), you'd be able to download Reykjavik, Helsinki, Cape Town, Auckland, Montevideo (the not so usual suspects)? I would gladly pay for that, if the game itself is good.

I've actually always wondered why noone's ever done this already.. For example, make a seamless space combat game in a huge universe and equip the player and his ship with RPG elements. Let players trade, fight space pirates and land on planets and explore them and solve quests. Ship the game with 10 or so different planets and then sell additional planets/derelict space stations/star systems for the players who feel the game is worth it and want more. I could see myself play such a game for a long, long time.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I wouldn't be surprised by some free outfits and then maybe some overpowered weapons and stuff that you can pay for.

As for extra missions, I really don't see it. I mean, maybe they'll come up with some extra stuff that you can do after you beat the game, depending on how it ends. Splinter Cell, for example, had 3 free maps that continued the storyline, but it wasn't something that felt necessary after playing through the game. I mean, the game didn't feel unfinished before downloading the extra maps. I definitely want a satisfying conclusion with no apparent loose ends. However, they could always release some extra maps and say that something else happened that wasn't obvious from the main game content. Then again, if there are branching endings, it may be more difficult to add extra end-game stuff that fits with everything else.

In that regard, I'm really interested in how Rockstar is going to pull of episodic content for GTA4. I'm going to be disappointed if it's just extra missions in the middle of the game, but if it's endgame stuff it will probably have to completely ignore 2 main characters to account for the fact that one or the other is dead depending on your path, so it might not mesh well with the rest of the game.

But extra side missions I don't expect. Every mission in this game seems like it will be related to the main story, whereas in something like Baldur's Gate you can sell extra content because there were a bunch of side missions and such that were totally irrelevant to the main game. But in this game it would just be like "Here's some other stuff you could've done to help with the end-game, but you probably already beat the game and this wasn't necessary." Plus I don't really want to have to start a new game to enjoy DLC that I paid for.

Edited by themadhatter114

How about more kittens? You can't have enough in a game!

Seriously though, a side quest or two that did not affect the main plot or the game's ending could be added later on, or possibly side missions where we get to control side characters? Like 2 agents working together to complete a mission and each has to do his thing in order for the other guy to advance.

Like, uh, Mike and Javier Bartem for example ( first name that came to mind, sorry) have to infiltrate a facility, one works as a decoy while the other gets the necessary items/files/whatever or one of the two has to go and deactivate security in different parts of the compound while the other guy goes for the objective.

It could work like that, while in the OC you'd just use Mike and count on the devs and the writers that the other guy did his job, with the downloadable content you should be able to guide the other agent through too.

Auckland

Trust me, that won't be fun.

You know, instead of the usual expansion-pack model, that might be pretty fun, too. Essentially release medium-sized sidequests - ranging around the scope and pricing range of NWN premium modules, adding something like one town/hub area, one or two quests, one or two clothing thingies and whatnot. Not sure how economically viable that would be, though.

A new sidequest with a funny new supervillain and ticking bomb would work - "Mike Thorton and the Attack of the Black Widow" or somesuch, or is that headed too far into comicbook territory?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)