What you did today

Gorth

Indeed. RVs are probably the worst things on the road, especially with gas prices as they are right now. You would be better off buying beach front property in Arizona.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I bought an RV.

Holy crap.

Why on earth would you buy such a horrible investment?

Investment? It's a luxury item, that really doesn't have anything to do with it. If I spent all my time worrying about what type of return I was getting on my luxury items, I'd go nuts. It's a comfortable way to travel, it is still cheaper than staying in a hotel for a week (even with gas) and it's perfect for my daughter and any futuure children.

The RV we bought is $36,000, originally priced at $49k. So, yeah, bit of a sticker shock, but I'm still very excited to take it out.

Whats a RV? :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Tried Wikipedia?

Edit: I just discovered that one of the places that I applied for a job at a couple weeks ago is hiring for the same position again. Guess the person they hired didn't work out so well. :)

Edited by Deraldin

Recreational Vehicle. It's basically like a bus/mini house. Has a kitchen, beds, bathroom all inside of a tour bus sized vehicle. Or they have ones that fit on the back of a truck.

I don't know much about RV's but 36k sounds like a pretty good deal since most run like 50kish I believe. My moms friends family just got one and its like a complete waste of money and takes up too much space.

But whatever floats your boat. Could be great out camping when your not keen on sacrificing the comforts of home.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

A lady from the states was filling up her RV at our gas pump the other day. I walked around after filling my own tank and stared blankly at her pump readings.

"What are you doing?" She asks.

"Feeling better about myself" I reply, then add "How many miles to the gallon do you get with this thing?"

She said eight.

What you save on hotel accomadations you can spend on fuel, I guess.

Happy camping, Hurly!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Whats a RV? ;)

Recreational Vehicle. It's basically like a bus/mini house. Has a kitchen, beds, bathroom all inside of a tour bus sized vehicle. Or they have ones that fit on the back of a truck.

Ah, thanks Slug. Never heard the term before :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest The Architect
So, apparently the interview today went better than I thought. I got a call from the recruiter and was told that the company would like to make me an offer. I'm going in tomorrow for paperwork.

I will be, in a short time, employed in the video game development industry.

I like being vague. No, it's not with Obsidian.

Congratulations!

A lady from the states was filling up her RV at our gas pump the other day. I walked around after filling my own tank and stared blankly at her pump readings.

"What are you doing?" She asks.

"Feeling better about myself" I reply, then add "How many miles to the gallon do you get with this thing?"

She said eight.

What you save on hotel accomadations you can spend on fuel, I guess.

Happy camping, Hurly!

It will cost me about $250 to fill up the tank. It really just depends on how far we go on a trip. My parents live about an hour away, but there is a great park on the beach near them, so we'll probably take a weekend there every couple months.

The long trips are definitely costly, but then so are flights. It's definitely a lifestyle choice though, some folks love it and some hate it.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...v%3D2%26hl%3Den

There's a link to what we got.

Edited by Hurlshot

With the economy the way it is I just think it might have been more prudent to save that money for just in case emergencies. To each their own I guess. I hope it works out for you. Nothing is worse than spending a good chunk of money on something just to see it break or not work right.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

With the economy the way it is I just think it might have been more prudent to save that money for just in case emergencies. To each their own I guess. I hope it works out for you. Nothing is worse than spending a good chunk of money on something just to see it break or not work right.

I guess it's a double edge sword, there. If the economy wasn't so bad, then they probably wouldn't have knocked the price down so low.

My wife and I are pretty set on job security, so that's not the problem. We'd love to go buy a bigger house, but the equity in our own home is messed up and in order to sell we'd take a huge loss. The mortgage is too high to make it up renting, too. So we have no problem making our payments, but we are pretty stuck until the economy recovers somewhat. So the RV is a bit of a bandaid to help get us out of the house more.

Hey, guys. Quit trying to make Hurlshot feel bad about his new stuff! You think he's going to take it back, and demand a refund because teh intarwebs told him it was bad?

Personally, given 99% of hotels attitude towards customers I'd love to tell them to get stuffed. Modern hotels are so highly cost-run it feels as if you're an annoyance rather than an essential. No soap, no tea, scratchy bedlinen, pay for an alarm call.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No soap, no tea, scratchy bedlinen, pay for an alarm call.

Have you ever considered not going to crappy hotels?

They just charge you even more... :*

I prefer serviced apartments when staying more than a week in a place. Better value for money.

No soap, no tea, scratchy bedlinen, pay for an alarm call.

And they charge by the hour too, right Walsh? :*

The housing market does suck right now. Hmmm... I tried owning a house a while back but it was such a pain it was ridiculous. You have to take care of the yard, pay out of pocket if anything breaks down, all sorts of hidden costs up the wazoo. I much prefer renting. Just pay one monthly fee and you never have worry about mowing the lawn, fixing the water heater and furnace, or even clean out the gutters.

Edited by Sand

The housing market sucks if you're trying to sell. But it's beautiful for people like me who don't own a home but will be looking to buy in the next few months. Prices keep falling, mortgage rates are still relatively low, and owners are willing to accept offers that would have been laughed at a year or two ago. The only drawback is that selection isn't as good as it could be, since people like Hurl who would like to sell are opting instead to sit on their investment and wait until the market turns.

Yeah, the maintenance of owning versus renting can be a hassle, but it also comes with the benefit of long-term appreciation, huge tax advantages, and the ability to renovate, remodel, or otherwise do whatever the heck we want with our home. (Plus, in our case buying would also mean we move from an apartment with a 3'X6' balcony to a house with an actual yard.)

Edited by Enoch

I suppose I could try better hotels. I'd never thunked of it before. :bat:

Owning a house does indeed suck in many ways. But .. um... alright it just sucks. Particularly if - due to stupidity - I am likely to die in the next ten years.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

different story here in the states. it's quite a bit cheaper in the long-run to own vs. rent, though it requires a bit more work and is definitely more of a headache. the house i'm in is three times the size of my last apartment and the mortgage is only about $200/month more than rent on the apartment (before tax deductions and appreciation, but also before property tax). some expenses are higher, however. overall the difference is probably about the same $200/month before appreciation, but for 2200 square feet more space and a much nicer place (and i can't hear my neighbors stomping around upstairs!).

while i do have a yard, it's not very big. my next home will be on a few acres, however. that's the thing that chaps my hide right now.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The house is also a great option for retirement. Eventually the mortgage will be paid off and you'll only have property taxes (which are limited in my state, my grandma pays $700 a year on her house, while a new neighbor would pay closer to $9,000.) So you can set yourself up to live very cheap in the golden years.

Plus you can sell it and move into a retirement home, as after 30 years it's probably gone up a ton if you haven't refinanced over and over again.

The house is also a great option for retirement. Eventually the mortgage will be paid off and you'll only have property taxes (which are limited in my state, my grandma pays $700 a year on her house, while a new neighbor would pay closer to $9,000.) So you can set yourself up to live very cheap in the golden years.

Plus you can sell it and move into a retirement home, as after 30 years it's probably gone up a ton if you haven't refinanced over and over again.

Or you can reverse mortage and live your life like a king in your end years. Just hope you die before your equity runs out.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

They don't have those in thee Aussie Land?

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

They don't have those in thee Aussie Land?

I can't say they don't have them, just that I don't know of them. Never heard anybody talk about such contraptions. Bear in mind that I am not a native English speaker, so things may pass over my head sometimes :)

I think the closest thing I've seen before is what is called "Camper Trailers" on google.

Maybe it's true that things just are bigger in America :lol: