Bioware/EA's KotOR Online leaked

Jaesun

Its strange that so many companies seem to be on the MMORPG bandwagon. It just seems to me that MMORPGs are one of the product niches where there just isn't a lot of room for a bunch of different ones to succeed. Most MMORPG players are only going to have time for 1 or 2 MMORPGs at a time, and for most one of those will probably be WoW. Given the ongoing cost of having to maintain the online world, it would seem to be a tough way to make money.

Star Wars through is probably an IP that has as good a chance as succeeding as any other.

Actually, the gigantic release of Funcom's Age of Conan makes it clear that the upper limit for MMO subscribers is really unknown. Plus, MMO's do taper off over time, and those players tend to look for greener pastures. WoW is king right now, but this KotOR Online is probably still years away from release, and who knows what the market will be by then?

You have quite a few MMO's going strong right now, and by strong I mean over 100k subscribers:

WoW (of course)

LotR Online

EQ2

AoC (impressive start, not sure on lifespan)

EVE

FFXI

Lineage 2

I'm probably forgetting a few, and there are some that manage to cling on to enough people to stay in business: The original EQ, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, D&D Online, Vanguard, SW: Galaxies (I think this one is ending)...

Source please.

There's no reason why there can't be a KoTot online and a KoToR 3. That would make the most sense anyway, since you could make multiple use of the same developement assets and yet hit both the single player and MMORPG markets as well as using the single player game to promote the online experience.

Unlikely, you may get a kinda AoC thing where you have online with a sort of single player mode

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

There's no reason why there can't be a KoTot online and a KoToR 3. That would make the most sense anyway, since you could make multiple use of the same developement assets and yet hit both the single player and MMORPG markets as well as using the single player game to promote the online experience.

Unlikely, you may get a kinda AoC thing where you have online with a sort of single player mode

Why? There's always money to be made in a single player game. Put a free-for-a-month account for the online game in as part of the installation and you've just increased your exposure for the online game as well. Maybe Bioware wouldn't want to do it themselves, but they could farm it out just like KoToR 2.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Its strange that so many companies seem to be on the MMORPG bandwagon. It just seems to me that MMORPGs are one of the product niches where there just isn't a lot of room for a bunch of different ones to succeed. Most MMORPG players are only going to have time for 1 or 2 MMORPGs at a time, and for most one of those will probably be WoW. Given the ongoing cost of having to maintain the online world, it would seem to be a tough way to make money.

Star Wars through is probably an IP that has as good a chance as succeeding as any other.

Actually, the gigantic release of Funcom's Age of Conan makes it clear that the upper limit for MMO subscribers is really unknown. Plus, MMO's do taper off over time, and those players tend to look for greener pastures. WoW is king right now, but this KotOR Online is probably still years away from release, and who knows what the market will be by then?

You have quite a few MMO's going strong right now, and by strong I mean over 100k subscribers:

WoW (of course)

LotR Online

EQ2

AoC (impressive start, not sure on lifespan)

EVE

FFXI

Lineage 2

I'm probably forgetting a few, and there are some that manage to cling on to enough people to stay in business: The original EQ, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, D&D Online, Vanguard, SW: Galaxies (I think this one is ending)...

Is 100,00 a lot? I mean is that enough users for the developers and publishers to be making a steady profit?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't see how this would preclude a K3.

In fact, I could see this set in the interim between K2 and K3, with interest in the rebuilding of the order, facing propulgating the "True Sith" threat to the Republic, etc. And K3 being the time when the real "war" breaks out.

Just like the prequels jumped 10 or more years between each one (whatever you think of them), K2 to K3 could jump a good chunk of time as well.

MMORPGs are laaaaaaame.

That said, if companies like Bio and Obsidian need to make them to stay profitable, then so be it.

lolwut

Bio = EA

It's not like they have no problems when it comes to profits

OE too is doing nicely

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Is 100,00 a lot? I mean is that enough users for the developers and publishers to be making a steady profit?

It all of course depends on how much the developer sent on making the MMOG. I used to know the typical number a simple MMOG would cost... but I am drawing a blank.

Here's some info (While not 100% accurate, it is quite extensive) on subscriber numbers. If any are interested.

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

I don't see how this would preclude a K3.

In fact, I could see this set in the interim between K2 and K3, with interest in the rebuilding of the order, facing propulgating the "True Sith" threat to the Republic, etc. And K3 being the time when the real "war" breaks out.

Just like the prequels jumped 10 or more years between each one (whatever you think of them), K2 to K3 could jump a good chunk of time as well.

You guys just don't get it do you?

MMO's DO FEATURE STORIES. THEY TAKE THE STORY FORWARD

And MMO's go on for years. New patches and expansion packs give players more missions thus "advancing" the story forwards.

In upcoming Wrath of the Lich King player gets to tackle Arthas's plans and fight against him in a plot. It is exactly what would've happened if Warcraft 4 had been made instead of WoW. Only game type changed.

In MMO form plots are instances and missions.

You can bet True Sith Archsith's Citadel is the last crazy instance for level 80 party

You CAN'T pull enough stuff from crap like you mentioned for years to come.

However huge conflict a la Republic vs True Sith (plus other factions like Mandalorians and K1 sith fleet's remnants added in for flavour) can be kept going on for years.

Just take quick visit to WoWwiki and you can see how much storyline of Warcraft has gone forward during game's existence.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

It all of course depends on how much the developer sent on making the MMOG. I used to know the typical number a simple MMOG would cost... but I am drawing a blank.

Here's some info (While not 100% accurate, it is quite extensive) on subscriber numbers. If any are interested.

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

lol that chart is ridiculous if accurate. Any developer who would try to go after WoW is just throwing money down the toilet. None of the others are even remotely playing in the same ballpark. Not even close.

NOTHING in the whole world of gaming is playing in the same ballpark as WoW. NOTHING

*shrugs*

I disagree. I think there's plenty of plotline between that without having a single story. I think the market for a Revan/Exile continuation is definitely there. And it's not going to be satisfied by an MMO, since people have different ideas of what Revan and the Exile represent.

There's plenty of room for warfare in the time period I suggested, for instance, without touching what Revan or the Exile do.

*shrugs*

I disagree. I think there's plenty of plotline between that without having a single story. I think the market for a Revan/Exile continuation is definitely there. And it's not going to be satisfied by an MMO, since people have different ideas of what Revan and the Exile represent.

There's plenty of room for warfare in the time period I suggested, for instance, without touching what Revan or the Exile do.

Ermmm.... what?

Revan is already fitted in the same mold - thing that fights against TS

He has all his memories back so he's entirely different person than the one you played

Exile can be easily retconned or killed as well.

Please, people want kotor game. They don't want to see how their "ideas of Revan and Exile represent" are portrayed

And are you kiddin? Those two are in center of it all

Good instance bosses both if you play on True Sith side, har har

Edited by Xard

NOTHING in the whole world of gaming is playing in the same ballpark as WoW. NOTHING

Totally spooky. Lineage was doing well for a while. Never heard of it myself. The only game that really seems to be growing its user base is WoW.

It will have to take an incredibly innovative game design to topple WOW's current throne (Which, while I love Bio... they are not capable of). That said, no one ever though ANYONE would topple EQ and Lineage. And then along came WOW.

You don't have to topple Wow's throne to be very succesful

@CG

Age of Conan had over 700,000 accounts at this point, I don't know about now. It is also getting a Xbox 360 release at some point, so if it can muster the stamina it might be the second great MMO.

Age of Conan wasn't on that chart was it.

If 100,000 is enough users to make money then there is more room in the MMORPG marketplace than I thought. I was expecting profits for these things to require a million or so users consistently over time.

@CG

Age of Conan had over 700,000 accounts at this point, I don't know about now. It is also getting a Xbox 360 release at some point, so if it can muster the stamina it might be the second great MMO.

That is actually pretty good for a MMOG. And with a XBox port... only more subscribers. I wasn't aware it was doing that good. Good for them.

You don't have to topple Wow's throne to be very succesful

You are correct sir.

Do most MMORPG's require a monthly fee? Or do you just have to buy the game one time and then you can play forever?

021406_rage.jpg

I CURSE THEE WITH THE WRATH OF THE HEAVENS AND A FIST OF AN ANGRY GOD

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wish this MMO was set pre-KOTOR1. Mandalorian wars MMO?

Do most MMORPG's require a monthly fee? Or do you just have to buy the game one time and then you can play forever?

Monthly fee, though there pseudo-mmos that doesn't require it.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Monthly fee, though there pseudo-mmos that doesn't require it.

So I guess MMORPGs are econmically similar to subways. The user's cost to play the game is pretty small, but the developers make money because a large number of users are sharing the same assets concurrently. But that model requires maintaining a sufficient volume of users otherwise you start bleeding money in a hurry since you can't really cut costs per user if things go bad.

I'm really not sure how to feel about this. If this is LA's way of producing an unofficial (or maybe official) K3, then I'm disappointed. But if this is simply an idea to expand into the MMO realm, for BioWare (and to expand the KOTOR era universe), then it might be good.

Of course, I'm not looking forward to any monthly fees. :ermm:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)