BREAKING NEWS! Fallout3 banned in Australia

Oh come on... Proof that OFLC needs a shake up, what in F3 could seriously be that bad?

based on earlier rumors it seems to be drug use.

It has to be more then that, otherwise we wouldn't of got Dues Ex.

Not really, there is all sorts of crap in older games that would have been banned by the current crop of oflc jerks have they been made today.

The problem is just as newc0253 described, that games are seen as inherently kids stuff, so WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Erm, no, else you'd all be speaking Irish.

Speaking of which, do the Irish still love video-games as much as they love abortions?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh come on... Proof that OFLC needs a shake up, what in F3 could seriously be that bad?

based on earlier rumors it seems to be drug use.

It has to be more then that, otherwise we wouldn't of got Dues Ex.

Not really, there is all sorts of crap in older games that would have been banned by the current crop of oflc jerks have they been made today.

The problem is just as newc0253 described, that games are seen as inherently kids stuff, so WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Ah, the precious children. Never to be exposed of the world hypocricy that the adults indulge themselves to. How noble by the ethics board of Australia.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Thread is WIN, and I agree. This kind of mental control is something best left to parents and not some council with a telephone pole up their collective ****.

So, importing the game after it has been banned would be illegal?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

WON'T SOMEONE THINK
You're kidding, right?

Yes, I am kidding, you got me.

So, importing the game after it has been banned would be illegal?

checking wiki it would seem the answer is yes:

Classification is mandatory, and films* that are refused classification by the OFLC are banned for sale, hire, public exhibition or importation into Australia, carrying a maximum fine of $275,000 and/or 10 years jail.

*And game I 'spose.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Erm, no, else you'd all be speaking Irish.

Do we get to kill the English?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Bah, you didn't get the movie reference! SHAME ON YOU!

I am not English. I am an Iowan.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

And YOU didn't get the internet meme reference, shame on YOU.

Actually, yeah, shame on me :yes:

On topic, am I right in thinking then that the only ilegality is in selling the game, not in owning the game?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

From a kotaku comment:

In the vote Australia had recently for the R18+ rating on games everyone seemed to be for it EXCEPT....

South Australia Governor General Michael Atkinson.

He is the ONE MAN solely responsible for us gamers not getting our content. I can't begin to describe how idiotic and ignorant this man is here, I could literally go on for days. His arguments are pathetic. Unfortunately if all Governor Generals do not agree the ruling is not passed. There is a website you can find for the SA governor generals office, and you can email him.

I knew there were plans recently to use the R 18+ rating for games but it didn't happen, but I didn't realise it was just one man who stopped it going ahead.

That makes a bit more sense to me, Nickie, but I am not well verse in Australia's import/export laws.

I'm suddenly a little nervous, because I shipped Mass Effect to Australia for a friend... I don't know if it was banned, but it wasn't available there yet...

ruh roh...

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

On topic, am I right in thinking then that the only ilegality is in selling the game, not in owning the game?

See my earlier edited post.

Anyway, while I'm against all this censorship nonsense, I also find it hard to really care, because so far it hasn't affected my gaming in any way. Most of what gets banned is crap anyway, and the changes made to games are minor (like the camera moving so you don't see the prostitute working on Niko in GTA4). It'd be nice if Fallout3 was the game that brought about a change to the law, but most likely it'll receive a minor change and no one will care.

I'm suddenly a little nervous, because I shipped Mass Effect to Australia for a friend... I don't know if it was banned, but it wasn't available there yet...

ruh roh...

What are you talking about, ME came out here at the same time as everywhere else in the world.

Edited by Hell Kitty

WON'T SOMEONE THINK
You're kidding, right?

Yes, I am kidding, you got me.

Aww, no need to be bitter. Here. av-6463.gif

Classification is mandatory, and films* that are refused classification by the OFLC are banned for sale, hire, public exhibition or importation into Australia, carrying a maximum fine of $275,000 and/or 10 years jail.

*And game I 'spose.

Ten years jail? Lol priorities.

ruh roh...

What are you talking about, ME came out here at the same time as everywhere else in the world.

Hell if I know.

When Amazon was taking pre-orders for the PC, they weren't shipping to Australia according to the friend, so I bought two copies and sent one to her when it finally came in. I just took her word for it that she couldn't get it there. *shrug*

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

From a kotaku comment:

In the vote Australia had recently for the R18+ rating on games everyone seemed to be for it EXCEPT....

South Australia Governor General Michael Atkinson.

He is the ONE MAN solely responsible for us gamers not getting our content. I can't begin to describe how idiotic and ignorant this man is here, I could literally go on for days. His arguments are pathetic. Unfortunately if all Governor Generals do not agree the ruling is not passed. There is a website you can find for the SA governor generals office, and you can email him.

I knew there were plans recently to use the R 18+ rating for games but it didn't happen, but I didn't realise it was just one man who stopped it going ahead.

How idiotic is that, that one man can cause that, such things should be a majority rules vote, because you will always find at least one idiotic, ignorant person in a position of power. I'm ashamed that he is the Governor of my state. :yes:

But when I think about it it actually makes no difference to me, because I would of been importing it anyway, since it much cheaper to do so. Except it will be 'illegally' now.

Still it makes me angry that one narrow minded man can force his will on an entire country.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Still it makes me angry that one narrow minded man can force his will on an entire country.

Say hello to politics in general.

Hope you don't get arrested!

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

When Amazon was taking pre-orders for the PC, they weren't shipping to Australia according to the friend, so I bought two copies and sent one to her when it finally came in. I just took her word for it that she couldn't get it there. *shrug*

Oh, well in that case the issue is Amazon not shipping certain items to certain countries.

Btw, i am currently reading Plato's "The Republic", so i am a bit biased at the moment.

k you're friend now lol

As for the ban... *shrug*

I guess this means game doesn't include kids

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)