Diablo 3 Officially Announced

Humodour

The more they have DRM the more they'll see their industries die. I imagine if they start DRM as draconian on Consoles as they have on PC then those will die, and Cell phones and such will continue on their rise with games for them to unlimited levels.

I imagine that the more they squeeze their fist, the more they'll see other arenas that are more convenient take their place. It's not that Cell Phones and Ipads won't have download only and other such things, but they are MORE convenient than going to a PC or console already...and you always have them with you. Add in DRM and it's no wonder why other industries are growing at such a pace. Why go to my PC if DRM stops me from playing a legit game when I can simply play it on my console with NO HASSLE.

And when they start doing the always online for consoles SP games...why worry about that when I can simply play where I'm at on an airplane or whatever with an IPAD or cellphone and not even have to be online for an SP game.

I love the fact that Itunes doesn't DRM it's music...part of the reason I think Apple is so friggen on top where no one can touch them (currently at least, Android is REALLY trying however, but Android doesn't have an IPAD competitor that's...competitive against Apple...yet...).

The more they squeeze their fist, the more people will find other ways to have fun and not even be near the fist to begin with.

IMO of course.

PS: Of interest, and maybe people will link stories to it, I find it interesting that there may be a move for Nintendo to start developing for Cells even while doing the console thing, maybe they too can feel the shift of the tides.

Edited by greylord

And when they start doing the always online for consoles SP games...why worry about that when I can simply play where I'm at on an airplane or whatever with an IPAD or cellphone and not even have to be online for an SP game.
Is that sarcasm? Please let it be sarcasm, because otherwise I'd have to think you're a complete tool.

Playing games on your cellphone in order to protest PC DRM, bwahahahaha-aaah! Thanks mate, that was really the best joke I've ever heard.

What does source code "theft" have to do with DRM exactly ?

I'm not saying there's a direct link, I'm saying in an industry with **** like that going on and the consumers actually supporting these hackers and crackers it's no wonder companies are getting increasingly draconian in their protection methods. I'll start caring about gamer DRM outcries when gamers start making sure they're no longer neccesary. It's about time gamers grew out of this self-entitlement phase and turned their attention on the ****ers who are ruining it for the rest of us.

Hm, maybe. HL2's case I doubt it as it wasn't like he was in a scene group or something, if I recall. Not exactly how you seem to blame all gamers for pirates existing though, thus leaving them to get boned by any quirks or failings of a DRM scheme that the pirates themselves evade. But yeah, I can see us getting stuck with heavy handed DRM schemes in the future, as well, not much we can do to rub out warez groups :p

Look, I'm not saying gamers as a whole are to blame for all piracy, but if gamers as a whole directed half as much energy against piracy as they do bitching about DRM then piracy would become the unpopular option and DRM would be much less neccesary. As it stands now piracy is pretty much condoned by the general gaming community. Hell, people are using DRM as an example to pirate games, which is of course completely backwards.

Is that sarcasm? Please let it be sarcasm, because otherwise I'd have to think you're a complete tool.

Playing games on your cellphone in order to protest PC DRM, bwahahahaha-aaah! Thanks mate, that was really the best joke I've ever heard.

You're laughing, but cell phone and iPad games are becoming increasingly profitable whereas console and PC games are slowly but surely slowing down, comparatively. Of course, somewhere along the line these things are going to become the new handhelds and eventually technology will make it the choice place for AAA games. Then these games are going to pirated somehow, and there will be DRM again. So it's essentially the most short-sighted protest in gaming history.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Look, I'm not saying gamers as a whole are to blame for all piracy, but if gamers as a whole directed half as much energy against piracy as they do bitching about DRM then piracy would become the unpopular option and DRM would be much less neccesary. As it stands now piracy is pretty much condoned by the general gaming community. Hell, people are using DRM as an example to pirate games, which is of course completely backwards.

Wouldn't say it's condoned. Here you see the teeth gnashing and fist shaking at the mere mention of it, and other places you get the requisite words, scum, thieves, entitlement culture, etc. So it's largely an upopular choice for gamers. DRM as an excuse is dumb, I agree.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's not protesting at all, it's a matter of convenience. You already have to BE at a laptop or PC in order to play the PC games, and porting a laptop isn't as easy as an IPAD or Iphone. You always have your phone on you anyways. To add another layer of difficulty, AND THEN make it so that when you are on the go you can't play games anyways due to an always on internet connection...makes it a no brainer why the Iphone or Ipad would start to be the platform of choice. I doubt (at least with the current model and how much people are on the go with the IPHONE and/or IPAD that they'll have a major push for all the SP games to only be playable when connected (there are some), but even so, it's already more convenient than a PC.

They kill Consoles with that same logic of killing piracy by forcing you to always be online...why go through the trouble. IPADS already are gaining enough ground to compete with the consoles and they say the Iphones and Cellphones are taking players away from Handheld consoles (like the DS). Add in that always on DRM scheme and it just hastens the flow substantially.

Sure, there still will be PC gamers and Console gamers, but the market will die enough (in PC it's already died enough that people are complaining about all the games being made for Consoles and all players being Console players...go back a decade and it wasn't always so). You laugh today, but the Cellphone and Ipad gaming are real threats to what you see as gaming currently...and the industry shenanigance of fear is only hastening their ascendancy as the top gaming platforms in the near future (probably the next five or six years if the current trends continue...ESPECIALLY if they start with the always on or authentication only with consoles and their games via the internet).

Convenience almost always wins out...and when you make something even MORE inconvenient than it already was...it only pushes people towards the more convenient solution. It's not rebelling or protest, it's simple convenence rules.

There's a REASON companies should listen to their consumers instead of thinking they are always right, when consumers tell you they don't like this push to control their gaming life...if the companies don't listen the customer will find a more convenient path...and sometimes those on that path listen far more to the consumer than those that pushed them that way.

It's not protesting at all, it's a matter of convenience.
How is;

-lower resolutions

-lower computing power

-lower game time due to battery life

-inferior controls

-inferior display quality

just to name few, more convenient than succumbing to online DRM ?

You're so delusional in your self righteous quest against DRM that you actually convinced your self to believe that switching to mobile phone gaming would be BETTER than playing on PC, as long as you don't have to be connected to internet.

Now unless you can produce some kind of evidence that a SIGNIFICANT number of players are abandoning PC as a platform in favor of mobile phones ONLY BECAUSE of DRM I think we're done here.

It's not protesting at all, it's a matter of convenience.
How is;

-lower resolutions

-lower computing power

-lower game time due to battery life

-inferior controls

-inferior display quality

just to name few, more convenient than succumbing to online DRM ?

You're so delusional in your self righteous quest against DRM that you actually convinced your self to believe that switching to mobile phone gaming would be BETTER than playing on PC, as long as you don't have to be connected to internet.

Now unless you can produce some kind of evidence that a SIGNIFICANT number of players are abandoning PC as a platform in favor of mobile phones ONLY BECAUSE of DRM I think we're done here.

It's about convenience...not certain if you grasp onto that.

However, since you are fixated...

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/13242...n-gaining-steam

Survey shows mobile computing revolution gaining steam

Purchase rates for PCs, cell phones will fall in 2011; tablet, smartphone buy rates will grow

Which research/consulting firm Accenture just did. A new Accenture survey of more than 8,000 consumers in eight countries found that the consumer purchase rates for personal computers (including laptops) and cell phones will decline this year, while the purchase rates for tablet computers, smartphones and ebook readers will rise, in some cases astronomically.

Some snippets of data from the survey:

* Ownership of basic mobile phones dropped to 65 percent in 2010 from 79 percent in 2009.

* Smartphone ownership quadrupled to 32 percent in 2010 from 8 percent the year before.

* Only 17 percent of survey respondents plan to buy a desktop or laptop computer in 2011, a 39 percent decline from last year.

* Consumer purchase rates for tablet computers will rise by 160 percent.

* Consumer purchase rates for ebook readers are expected to increase by 133 percent.

In a prepared statement, Kumu Puri, senior executive with Accenture?s Electronics & High-Tech Practice, said, ?There?s increasing potential for an end in sight for the relevance of the personal computer in the home as we know it today.?

You can read Accenture's detailed report of its survey here. ( https://microsite.accenture.com/landing_pag...erTech_2011.pdf ) [note link is a pdf]

Chris Nerney writes about the business side of technology market strategies and trends, legal issues, leadership changes, mergers, venture capital, IPOs and technology stocks. Follow him

It's already happening due to convenience, DRM simply adds another obstacle, adding obstacles is NOT the way to win market share, normally it's a good way to scare it off.

playing games on a cell phone has about as much in common with traditional pc gaming as playing checkers in the park does.

when the gameboy was released did people say "oh now, now my sega genesis is USELESS!1!!"

people who think mobile phone gaming is TAKING market share away from the console and pc gaming crowd really don't get the console and pc gaming crowd.

last example: you really going to skip diablo 3 so you can play angry birds on a touchscreen? really?

note: it would be different if a phone could accept a mouse and keyboard inputs, and had the same graphical power of a computer. but if it could do that, then its not a phone anymore, its a computer that can make calls and fit in your pocket. in other words: "a deck". (see: william gibson).

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The more they have DRM the more they'll see their industries die.

No, not really. Since Steam, PC games have experience a new resurrection, sort of.

Also EA does now Origin for Retail too, and Blizzard (and possibly later for all Activision games) use Battle.net.

Better have DRM with my PC games than no PC games at all.

Ubiloader and GFWL are still inexcusable pieces of software feces, however.