George Carlin R.I.P.

Meshugger

What do you mean try harder. This isn't a troll. Humor is subjective and I just don't happen to find his humor funny and to be honest I'd have to agree that he was just an angry hippy. Not exactly a personal attack, since from what I saw he was very "passionate" about his material. I'd have to say my favorite stand up is Dave Attell but I like many other comics who don't really come to mind except maybe David Allen Grier but then again I've never heard his standup but his radio personalities on the Adam Carolla show are extremely funny.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The company you guys are placing Carlin in is disgraceful at best, downright heresy at worst.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

What do you mean try harder. This isn't a troll. Humor is subjective and I just don't happen to find his humor funny and to be honest I'd have to agree that he was just an angry hippy. Not exactly a personal attack, since from what I saw he was very "passionate" about his material. I'd have to say my favorite stand up is Dave Attell but I like many other comics who don't really come to mind except maybe David Allen Grier but then again I've never heard his standup but his radio personalities on the Adam Carolla show are extremely funny.

When someone is considered by the public and by the comics themselves as one of the most influencial and legendary stand-up comedian of all time, then you better have an indepth and analytical reason on to why you don't like him. Someone mentioned Hedberg, while i don't find his jokes to be as profound as Carlin or Hicks, i do see a sense of style of delivery that resembles Prior, so i understand why people would prefer him against the "angry dude". The whole "i don't like angry comedians that try to tell us on how to think"-schtick just sounds defensive without any basis (IMO).

There's fun in Candy and Farley, they did have a great sense in playing awkward characters which were funny by being what they were. But they weren't stand-up comedians!

As for David Attell, i couldn't even find what exactly was funny about him. There weren't any funny characterics like Prior, no stories that were funny by themselves like Cosby would do, and certainly no insight like Carlin or Hicks. It just felt so tame, without any real joke coming along. Since i failed to understand it completely, i just have to agree to disagree with you :brows:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't agree with everything he says; but he is funny and highly entertaining. Carlin is also obviously a smart man even if he can sometimes talk aout of both sides of his mouth "Amerika is the best country in the world, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else" and "Amerika is POO!"

Still, a cool dude with attitude.

P.S. I love him simply because he puts enviromental hippies in their place.

Save endangered species!?! No, I think not. LET THEM DIE!!!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Dave Attell's stand up is pretty lame all and all, its his work on Insomnia thats really good.

I'm a big Prior, Bill Hick, Lenny Bruce, and early Eddie Murphy fan. I've never been into Carlin, I really can't say why. Carlin never really spoke to me, it had to be something in the delivery.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

John Candy was okay, but I never really liked any of Chris Farley's work.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

P.S. I love him simply because he puts enviromental hippies in their place.
:)

I have recenctly discovered another side of Mr. Carlin and that is watching Thomas and Friends with my kid.

they put him in because Ringo Starr was too... edgy(?)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Guest The Architect
I'm a big Prior, Bill Hick, Lenny Bruce, and early Eddie Murphy fan. I've never been into Carlin, I really can't say why. Carlin never really spoke to me, it had to be something in the delivery.

Bill Hicks was not only a great comedian, but one of the best social commentators I've ever had the privilege of listening to.

well, thats what a good stand-ups comic is

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

We all know that Bill Hicks was one of the greatest, but his awesomeness needs it's own thread :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Bill Hicks was not only a great comedian, but one of the best social commentators I've ever had the privilege of listening to.

Don't make me mention girdles. I nearly threw up instantly.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.