When are ya'll hiring for QA?

Aurora

I mean, I know that QA positions are totally bottom-rung and everyone goes in like "omg I get paid to play computer games!" and they crawl out weeping and crying if they make it out at all, but I really need a job soon and I have no qualifications at all aside from going to college and playing games. So, please hire me. Thanks for your help!

I am following my fish.

A temporary home for stranded ML'ers

I have another question to add to this one. What kind of structure do you have for your QA guys? I mean, do we have to report to Irvine, or can we work on projects away from the office and then submit our reports weekly?

I'm in the same boat as Aurora here. We even attend the same school right now. I've been a little reluctant to start a job since the time I started studying Ancient Greek and Latin, but a little extra spending money would be nice. I suppose this forum isn't the most professional way to approach the subject, but I do believe my heart is in the right place. I love games and I'm willing (and what's more important I'm now able) to put in the time necessary to do a good job. Just giving me an idea on the specifics of how I could start with Obsidian would be great. After all, it's not every day that two talented UCR students come your way! :o

I'm local. I love games. I will approach the material objectively. Finally, I can produce well written and detailed reports regarding QA projects on which I work.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I have a feeling a company the size of Obsidian will rely on the QA sections of their publishers or other companies they're working for (Bioware, for now). What little actual QA they do by themselves, will probably be done by the developers.

They're several provinces over. I'd rather live in Eternal Summer (ie. California). :(

Don't. Just...don't. It's a foul hive of scum and villainy, plus it blows.

Back on topic, I'd, uh, volunteer for beta testing as long as I didn't have to sign an NDA elohel

The only reference I have to North Bay and East bay are in the SF/Oakland area.... but South bay always confused me, as we have one in San Diego, San Jose area is considered South Bay, and hunington Beach (or is it lower?) is also considered South Bay... so many places. :)

The only reference I have to North Bay and East bay are in the SF/Oakland area.... but South bay always confused me, as we have one in San Diego, San Jose area is considered South Bay, and hunington Beach (or is it lower?) is also considered South Bay... so many places. :)

i call just about anything between Sacramento and Greater LA the Bay Area D:

Roughly how big is obsidian now? I know alot of smaller dev houses that have at least 2-3 QA testers/engineers on staff to do spot checking and fix checking. It wouldn't be crazy for obsidian to have folks like that in the future.

Also, have you all checked in your local area for temp agencies that handle software and tech industry positions? they usually are the main source for QA testers to get a foot in the door and get some experience. Anyone in the western Washington area can PM me and i can hook them up with some contact information about getting into testing.

I'm not sure that it is a case of Obsidian being big enough or not, I think that currently they don't have a set QA staff because they aren't far enough in the projects to use them effectively.

I hadn't thought of checking out the temp agencies.... good idea though.

Oh, just bite my backside. Dammit, I'm 34. It's not like I'm ancient. I have experience writing reports from human resources days. I have a lot of experience playing games. You young whipper snappers... back in my we respected our Eldars.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!