New Screenshots :)

I especially like the one in the garden with all the statues. Very moody lighting and little bloom. However, the faces look a bit plastic and comic-book like, are Obsidian shooting for the same art-direction as Uncharted?

Well, combat's supposedly "similar to Mass Effect but more in vein of Uncharted" (not exact wording) so who knows about other influences

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

You can change his face apparently.

Was that in the PSM3 mag?

I think some developer here in the boards said that.

Yeah it was n the magazine:

"First things first: don't be fooled by Alpha Protocol's genertic lead character in these screens - he can be customised to look however you want. He's called Mike Thornton and, apart from this name, everything else can be fiddled about with, including facial features, clothing and skin tone. You'll even be able to customise his personality and reputation along the way too, but more on this later."

I wouldn't know if a developer has said it on these forums or not, I only just signed up yesterday. But I guess they must have if kirottu said they have.

As for influences, there seems to be quite a few, the obvious: Bourne Identity, James Bond, 24. Apparently there's a character that can be compared with the film Leon. And then there is the cover system similar to Uncharted, chat system influenced by Mass effect, etc etc etc. Obviously Obsidian will put their own unique spin on these influences and then bring them all together in such a way that's never been done before.

The graphics are good but not mind blowing, I hope they get polished up before release, I know they are work in progress so I'll take it with a pinch of salt. The enviroments are also quite empty and dull.

Very nice pictures. The garden looks gorgeous and the interiors look better than the first lot of screenshots we saw. I think the guy in the black suit looks a bit too relaxed for someone with a gun at his head, but perhaps it works better with animation. Motion capture that I've seen so far in several games is not very good at capturing the tension of highly stressful situations - it can all be a bit floppy sometimes.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

For those who have asked, those are all screenshots, none of them are renders, and they are all from core gameplay except for the one with the three dudes standing around talking, which is obviously our dialog system.. The only fiddling that's gone on is some camera manipulation. A half dozen screenshots all taken from the gameplay camera would get old pretty fast.

So the one with the guy in the suit, who has Michael pointing the handgun at his head is a "Freeze!" situation?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Agree with everyone else that graphics are 'good but not mind-blowing', but I never wanted 'mind-blowing' graphics anyway. I'd much rather a game which has good graphics, great art direction and is able to run on more computers without looking like a horrible, crippled shadow of its real self (cough cough Oblivion).

This one really gets me though, the guy being shot at looks really bad. His standing posture is bad to begin with (who stands like that?!), it looks as if the blood effects and stuff are 2D plastered on several feet away from the man, etc. Perhaps a bad capture, but I always wondered why any PR machine would release bad-moment captures.

So the one with the guy in the suit, who has Michael pointing the handgun at his head is a "Freeze!" situation?

Interestingly, that's the level I'm working on right now.

What's actually about to happen in that shot is Mike is going to fire at the guy and he's going to shrug it off and continue his patrol because for some reason he's invincible and doesn't respond to anything Mike does. I heard someone else refer to him today as "the ghost." I'm currently trying to exorcise him.

What should happen in that particular scene is if you pull a gun on that guy he'll either try and shoot you or run for help, depending on his current AI state. But nothing is final 'till it ships.

This one really gets me though, the guy being shot at looks really bad. His standing posture is bad to begin with (who stands like that?!), it looks as if the blood effects and stuff are 2D plastered on several feet away from the man, etc. Perhaps a bad capture, but I always wondered why any PR machine would release bad-moment captures.

He's standing funny because he's transitioning to ragdoll. That m'fugger's dead.

Interestingly, that's the level I'm working on right now.

What's actually about to happen in that shot is Mike is going to fire at the guy and he's going to shrug it off and continue his patrol because for some reason he's invincible and doesn't respond to anything Mike does. I heard someone else refer to him today as "the ghost." I'm currently trying to exorcise him.

What should happen in that particular scene is if you pull a gun on that guy he'll either try and shoot you or run for help, depending on his current AI state. But nothing is final 'till it ships.

He's like a zen master! :D

Anyway, I was kind of hoping for the option for you to take a goon hostage and then use him as protection or as a negotiating piece. Any chance of implementing this kind of alternative to fighting and stealth in the game. Perhaps intelligence gathering could play a part too. Like during a mission, the player could gather information that would elucidate on whether the enemy would be vulnerable to such an approach. Imagine that the player goes into a room with an enemy at gunpoint, and there's two possible outcomes: they respond by not attacking on sight allowing the player to solve the situation through dialogue; or they jut automatically say "shoot them both" and the player has to use his mad fighting skillz to dispose of his enemies.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Good response times, Patrick. Get me a coffee while you're at it. :)

I wonder what determines whether he tries to shoot or wants to run for help? For example, two guards, you shoot one of them to pieces, the other is more likely to run away depending on his particular personality? Now that would be cool.

He's like a zen master! :D

Me, or the ghost?

The mission that screenshot of is actually all about gathering intel, but no more details than that for now. Well, except that the intel you gather you can later leverage in negotiations with a rather nasty fellow, and that it's an optional mission. I hope that gives you a tiny taste of what we're trying to go for with our mission structure.

The mission that screenshot of is actually all about gathering intel, but no more details than that for now. Well, except that the intel you gather you can later leverage in negotiations with a rather nasty fellow, and that it's an optional mission. I hope that gives you a tiny taste of what we're trying to go for with our mission structure.

You mean side quests don't float in vacuum and are actually interconnected with main quests? If so, can I have your babies?

20795.jpg

I agree with some posts that the graphics is looking a little too clean. Uncharted gets way with it because the the gameplay is set in a flora setting with a good mix of water and stone structures. That means it could avoid creating places that is too focused on one set of colors.

Perhaps using optimised grain filter similar to Mass Effect and other similar games would make the game more grittier looking.

Looking good. I'm especially glad to hear you can customize your character's appearance. :)

But not gender.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"