So are you going to buy Mass Effect PC ?

Will you buy it?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Mass Effect PC

• Yes, Ill probably get it
    • Yes, Ill get it even though Ive already got it for the 360
    • No, Im not interested
    • No, Ive already got the 360 version
    • No, my PC isnt good enough
    • No, I cant afford it
    • No, I will download a pirated copy for free

On the 360, it always steers where youre aiming instead of having steering and aiming indpendant of eachother as is the norm.

That sounds horrible. This is why I don't have an XBox.

I just completed my second playthrough, this time as a female infiltrator paragon. I could stand a third go, I think, but I'll wait until the expansion pack is available. Anyone have an ETA on that?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Hummm.... Well I wonder when the non-DRM version will come out - any ETA on that? Oh, that's right, pirates have already have access to it, BioWare and EA just haven't released the legal version yet. ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hummm.... Well I wonder when the non-DRM version will come out - any ETA on that? Oh, that's right, pirates have already have access to it, BioWare and EA just haven't released the legal version yet. ;)

Hey look! You can play Bioshock now! DRM = Gone!

EDIT: Nevermind. Just the install limits have been removed.

Edited by Deraldin

Yeah, I'm only now considering buying a copy, so, if you were trying to mock me, it backfired. ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Yeah, I'm only now considering buying a copy, so, if you were trying to mock me, it backfired. ;)

Wasn't trying to mock you. Just saw the news and this thread was the first thing that came to mind.

Okay, maybe I was trying to mock you just a little...

On the 360, it always steers where youre aiming instead of having steering and aiming indpendant of eachother as is the norm. I wonder if the 360 controls were a result of hardware constraints or just plain bad design.

They are independent, left stick for movement and right stick for aiming, but is seems to be buggy. I'm replaying right now, and most of the time it seems to work fine, but sometimes aiming in a particular direction cause the Mako to move forward. A moment ago I was neither moving nor aiming, and simply using the left trigger to zoom in caused the Mako to move forward, and continue to move forward until I performed some other action. So like I said, buggy.

Hummm.... Well I wonder when the non-DRM version will come out - any ETA on that? Oh, that's right, pirates have already have access to it, BioWare and EA just haven't released the legal version yet. :o

I hope Bio will do this for ME. As far as I know they haven't said anything beyond "promising" that they will remove restrictions if they can't/won't support it anymore.

Yeah, I'm only now considering buying a copy,...

Do it, it's a very good and interesting game if you can get past the sometimes very half-assed shooter elements and enjoy it for what it is. ;)

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

enjoy it for what it is. :lol:

edit: This post refers to Bioshock (which can be conveniently refered to as BS), not to MAss Effect (ME).

But what is that exactly?

Its certainly not a crpg. There's not enough thinking or object manipulation for it to be an adventure game. Its not really a survival game since there is an infininte supply of everything all the time and the character can't die anyway. I can't really call it a flight sim since th eonly airplane crashes in the first thirty seconds of the game. It's not a NHL hockey game since there is no hockey underwater. A golf sim? A deer hunting game? Hmm.

No probably not.

Actually, it really is nothing more than a half-ass shooter. Quarter-ass actually. FOr all it's shine there is nothing else there.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There are dialogues that are affected by your character stats. And there's driving.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There are dialogues that are affected by your character stats. And there's driving.

I don't know if this was in any way responding to my post, but just in case, to clarify I was referrign to Bioshock not Mass Effect. I though thtat was what Moat was referring to there.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oh, I see!

I'd say you are about right, then.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I just finished my first playthrough of Mass Effect. Good game... not great... and with some design decisions that made gameplay utterly tedious at times. Had no DRM problems, the occasional sound/video stutter, and a couple of freezeups... nothing I couldn't live with. I feel as if I got my money's worth, but there's a sense that for me at least the story didn't live up to the hype.

I thought it was good, certainly the best story BioWare has ever come up with. But they really need to stop with this "the ancient race who created everything" schtick theyve been using IN EVERY SINGLE GAME THEYVE EVER MADE.

And the 360 Mako: the turret is semi-independant, but which way is forward is determined by where youre aiming, which complicates things to a great deal. If you want to strafe around Trasher maws for instance, you have to constantly compenate your direction which is very tricky. My theory is that some senior designer thought that was a good idea, and no one else wanted to argue about it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I thought it was good, certainly the best story BioWare has ever come up with. But they really need to stop with this "the ancient race who created everything" schtick theyve been using IN EVERY SINGLE GAME THEYVE EVER MADE.

What was the creator race in Jade Empire? :blush:

IB1OsQq.png

"But they really need to stop with this "the ancient race who created everything" schtick they've been using IN EVERY SINGLE GAME THEYVE EVER MADE."

Lies never help one's point.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

the turret is semi-independant, but which way is forward is determined by where youre aiming

They're both dependant on which way the screen is facing, but entirely independent of each other. The vehicle controls are the same as on foot, pushing forward moves you into the screen, rather than being accelerate, and it's hardly suprising that the turrent is always going to be pointing at the cross hair in the middle of the screen.

My theory is that some senior designer thought that was a good idea, and no one else wanted to argue about it.

Nope, the controls are simple and strafing is easy, your inability to handle the controls doesn't make for bad design.

An acceptably bad shooter with awesome storytelling, atmosphere and plot?

It's an action/adventure, regardless of how big the stick up CrashGirl's butt is. The problem is she's an anti-fangirl, as passionate about attacking a game as fanboys are in praising it as the best thing ever.

The problem is she's an anti-fangirl, as passionate about attacking a game as fanboys are in praising it as the best thing ever.

So true! ATM though I ony have two real targets: Oblivion and Bioshock. And Oblivion I admit has a few redeeming qualities even in the vanilla game. Bioshock though is the epitome of cruddy next gen game design. IMO, of course. Most other games, such as ME, I don't really have strong feelings bout one way or the other. I don't really get the passion for ME, but it is nothing terrible.

AH well. Next! :)

While I agree with your assessment of the gameplay in Bioshock, Crashgirl, I'm also happy to see a game that creates a unique atmosphere and goes after some fairly complex subject matter. In fact I'd rather have mediocre gameplay and great storytelling than vice versa.

Nope, the controls are simple and strafing is easy, your inability to handle the controls doesn't make for bad design.

Now you're just being an ass. Have you even played the 360 version?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I played the 360 version of ME and after a few tries didn't have any trouble driving the mako around. You just have to adjust the driving stick relative to where the turret is pointing.

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

It's an action/adventure, regardless of how big the stick up CrashGirl's butt is.

What kind of medication are you on? Surely for it to be even close to an adventure game it should have some kind of interaction that isn't reflex based and I honestly can't remember something that fits the bill.

I guess you have a bit of an argument in the whole little-girls thing. The games primary propellant is still running and gunning and as such it is a first person shooter.

Is there some enviromental problem-solving that I'm totally forgetting?

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The game is a bit short too. I'm currently on my second run-through, and only do the story-missions and side quests on the citadel. Should take me only 10 hours to beat it. Exploring the uncharted worlds is imo boring and just an artificial way to extend the play time. They better should have skipped that and include an other story planet instead.