Ninja Gaiden II Preview

You forgot Lost Planet.

I really try to.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You forgot Lost Planet.

I really try to.

It was pretty much like most Capcom games: dull, stupid story and dialog with some nice action scenes, great graphics and fun gameplay (though that depends on what you like).

I managed to like it. Though I guess I'm a sucker for any mech game... too bad Armored Core had such crappy controls.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

...Jorian, you're stalking developers again?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Yeah, the framerate issues are pretty bad in some places. There's one spot on the first level that's absolutely terrible and I can't believe it shipped like that. The camera is about as bad as NG's was on release, with a few really bad exceptions. Most of the other changes feel pretty good. I'm on the second level playing on Warrior and though some of the enemies feel pretty cheap -- seriously, ninja dogs that carry swords in their mouths and shoot explosive shuriken with their tails -- overall it's a good challenge.

I'm gonna play it today. My friend recommends I start on Acolyte, but we'll see. Heh, it's been quite a while from Black.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is Acolyte Ninja Dog mode? Haha, don't be a wuss. I'll probably pick up the game sometime this week.

The demo is out on the NA Marketplace for all those on the fence.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Acolyte is Normal apparently while Warrior is Black's Hard difficulty.

It's a great sequel, really. They've revamped combat to be a lot more mobile, enemies are tons unfairer, Ryu both takes and dishes out more damage and all the little touches, like unobliterated enemies suiciding you and Lunarr XXY combo explosive decapitation, make playing the game a massive thrill every time. That said, the bosses are maybe a bit too different: In the prequel, bosses would have really small damage windows for Ryu to exploit, which would effectively have you trying to discover what kind of trick(a well-placed ninpo, wind run+flying swallow at just the right time) would open more of these windows. But in the sequel most bosses have a fairly large damage window, so you can deal damage in a constant stream. It's alright, I guess, fairly realistic in a way, but to balance things out, they've made half their abilities take two-thirds out of your life. It's an interesting balance.

Having said all that, Falcon's Talons->flying swallow+izuna otoshi or vermillion bird strike+hungry wolf=awsometacular!

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

The next few levels are a piece of cake after you get the Talons, since the combos are so spammable. Several also function like DS's Blade of Empty Air, effectively singling out an enemy out of a throng and letting you deal with him piecemeal. It's not the best weapon for ground control, since the reach is relatively short and there's not much knockback, but it's definitely the easiest weapon to master in the game so far.

I've yet to get the Tonfas! Soon, soon...

kirottu said:

More today. I'll finally get to to the first Greater Fiend.

kirottu said:

I'm in chapter 7 and am completely in love with the game. The boss fight of chapter 6 was the best yet and the build-up to that for the last few chapters felt so good.

Team Ninja has a created an incredibly well-balanced game that, like its predecessors, kicks you into the curb just to get you coming back for more after each defeat until you realize the last battle was over in five seconds. Five seconds of whirling bloodstorm of limbs and heads. All those defeats had built up experience and that experience resulted in three flawlessly executed Kusari-gama combos and finally an on-landing-UT.

For me, that's the kind of game Ninja Gaiden 2 is shaping to be.

kirottu said:

Chapter 4 done. So far, it's been pretty superior to the original in every way.

Though I hear the technical aspect isn't as polished at times, and some design elements later on will be pretty questionable (though you could say the same of the original).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Well, I'd wait till I get to the those "questionable elements" before making any kind of judgment. I think I already know what you mean and it didn't bother me all that much. Then again, I'm playing on Acolyte, didn't feel like being a man and constantly throwing the controller to the wall and instead decided to just start again on Warrior after playing it through. And since I missed the Rod of Trials on this playthrough(second level, yard full of ninjas, kill everyone, wait, enter relic room), there's plenty of incentive for the next one.

I'm in chapter 8 myself, making fillets out of yet another section of Black Spider army. The tonfas are LOVE. The snowy St. Petersburg setting is LOVE. XXXXAXY is LOVE.

kirottu said: