Gas Prices?

Arkan

I'm tempted to get a smallish scooter, ala the Vespas, tho preferably a cheaper type...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

$3.75 a gallon here. And they wonder why we are in a recession. Who wants to go out to places like stores or whatever to spend money when it cost you a lot of money to fire up your vehicle?

It is currently $3.42 whrere I work at. Thank goodness for public transportation.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Gas in the US really is stupidly cheap.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Fair enough. I'd probably be complaining more loudly if it affected me more. But our (subcompact) car pretty much stays in the parking garage collecting soot all week, until I need to do a grocery run or somesuch. The subway might not be the fastest way to travel (my commute is about 5 miles as the crow flies, but it takes me 30-35 minutes each way), but it does insulate me from fluctuations in global energy markets to a certain extent.

I know this officially makes me a communist, but why not just walk? Should only take you about an hour. Plus you'd get great exercise.

There's a river in the way, and the most direct bridge to cross is not very pedestrian-friendly. (There are pedestrian/bike lanes, but they only connect to the trails that run along the river-- I'd have to run across highways to get to them.)

I know you're joking, but the real issue with drilling oil on the moon is that, without a space elevator or other unconventional technology, getting it back to earth would cost more energy than the oil would be worth.

Assuming there's oil on the moon.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

A long while.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Penal colony on the moon, after a while, we'll have oil!
A long while.

Not really. The conversion of organic material into petroleum takes pressure, heat, and moisture. As opposed to the Earth with it's molten core, plate techtonics, and cycle of erosion and sedimentation, the moon is geologically dead. If we leave organic material on the surface of the moon, it's still going to be on the surface of the moon in 100 million years.

If we leave organic material on the surface of the moon, it's still going to be on the surface of the moon in 100 million years.

barring impact. :verymad:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

If gas was $8 a gallon in the US, it might inspire states to actually build effective and truly usable mass transportation in all areas to all areas, including recreational/national parks, beaches and so on - not just a bus to the local store or office. Even where there is some mass transit available, as long as it's not stop n go rush-hour, it's still faster & less hassle to drive yourself there instead, hence people don't use it much.

Feels like you either stay at home and never go/drive anywhere, or you're always driving for hours to get anywhere/do anything.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

it's difficult, however, given that we are such a suburban populace. you can live 30 miles from a city and still be in a heavily populated area.

most major cities do indeed have mass transit, but at a hefty expense to the taxpayers (which generally discourages voters) and considerable problems during construction (since cities were in place well before the concept came up). denver just got a rail system, and i have not heard how well it is doing, but it is rather limited in its reach. most people still have to drive just to get to the danged thing. same in st. louis. the latter is used, but only by people that live near the stations. st. louis' has generally been considered a waste of money by those that don't live along I-70.

taks

comrade taks... just because.