RIP Charlton Heston

Arkan

You clearly are more informed than I am, wanted to flame a little. Still, regarding the posession and use of a firearm as

a fundamental American right
is a problem imo. And yes, I know that any man is potentially given a gun for free in my country. People here are thinking it a tradition to own a firearm, and are beginning to think it's a fundamental right to own one (for free, including ammunition). This bothers me greatly.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

You clearly are more informed than I am, wanted to flame a little. Still, regarding the posession and use of a firearm as
a fundamental American right
is a problem imo. And yes, I know that any man is potentially given a gun for free in my country. People here are thinking it a tradition to own a firearm, and are beginning to think it's a fundamental right to own one (for free, including ammunition). This bothers me greatly.

You are in Germany samm? Ive not heard of German citizens getting free guns. What model gun is it and why do they give them to citizens?

You are in Germany samm? Ive not heard of German citizens getting free guns. What model gun is it and why do they give them to citizens?
No, in Switzerland. Military service is mandatory for adult males, and the soldiers (except medics etc) are given a SIG SG 550 to take home with them. Ammunition, I just read it, has to be left at the arsenal since the beginning of this year, thanks to some controversy after some people were shot/commited suicide with the rifle, but is easily obtainable still. Apparently, most of the Swiss feel it's a tradition to keep that gun at home, just in case you have to shoot your wife, ahem, I mean, the enemy invaders...

OK, this is quite off topic :shrugz:

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

It sucks to lose the Omega Man. Heston's politics are pretty well in line with the bulk of America, just the tactics often employed by the NRA during his time have been distasteful at best. It isn't really clear if Moses accepted the reigns before or after he started suffering from dementia, regardless it seems more likely that the NRA itself, Samuel Colt and Major Charles Winchester, were simply more brazen with El Cid as their public face.

Its more then a little sad that we're talking about gun control and not those damn dirty apes on a day like today.

I guess its finally time to call Tom Selleck back up from the minors again.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

It isn't really clear if Moses accepted the reigns before or after he started suffering from dementia, regardless it seems more likely that the NRA itself, Samuel Colt and Major Charles Winchester, were simply more brazen with El Cid as their public face.

charles2.jpg

Whut?

Edited by Aram

Thats Charles Winchester III, totally different guy

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The Winchester who founded the arms company was named Oliver.

...and what do either long dead businessmen, one of whose companies no longer exists, have to do with the NRA?

You got to get your money from somewhere to be considered the most powerful lobbyist group in the country from year to year. When tracking the NRA's activities, especially since Wayne LaPierre became "CEO", there is one clear benefactor and it is not the American citizen, but any and all arms manufactures. Within the last 10 years the Consumer Product Safety Commission, The Center for Disease Control and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms have all had their funding cut or gun-related activities restricted by Congress after producing independent research that directly contradicts the NRA's own in house research.

An overwhelming number of Americans and even a majority of NRA members support some type of gun control in the realm of assault weapons, but the NRA has opposed legislation across the board. To whose benefit?

You got to get your money from somewhere to be considered the most powerful lobbyist group in the country from year to year. When tracking the NRA's activities, especially since Wayne LaPierre became "CEO", there is one clear benefactor and it is not the American citizen, but any and all arms manufactures. Within the last 10 years the Consumer Product Safety Commission, The Center for Disease Control and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms have all had their funding cut or gun-related activities restricted by Congress after producing independent research that directly contradicts the NRA's own in house research.

I think you are referring to legislation passed preventing municipalities from suing gun manufacturers for the cost of dealing with gun crime? Think about it this way, that would be like suing Ford if a drunk driver kills someone while driving a mustang.

I did a little snooping on google and I am not seeing any correlation to funding cuts to BATF (or even that it's funding was cut) and any data or enforcement info it produced in the last 5 years. The NRAs website has nothing at all on the BATF other than a few non exciting news links.

An overwhelming number of Americans and even a majority of NRA members support some type of gun control in the realm of assault weapons, but the NRA has opposed legislation across the board. To whose benefit?

That's not entirely accurate. The NRA supported the 1994 Crime Bill that among other things introduced a new ban on a number of imported "assault weapons". Actually Heston was the Association president then. Of course it had a number of pro-gun provisions as well.

LaPierre is a bombastic clown who has done more the hurt the NRA than anyone left or right.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Most of my information comes from the different academic databases. The info funding cuts come from Gun Violence Opposing Veiwpoints, and Moorhouse's and Wanner's Does Gun Control Reduce Crime Or Does Crime Increase Gun Control.