Expelled from Expelled

I was specifically referring to the "lying down by default" bit.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Summing it up: Ben Stein and Mark Mathis are a couple of creationist wankers. Mathis lied to Dawkins, saying this movie wasn't a bunch of creationist wanking. Dawkins tells it like it is: this is a crappy movie based on lies, deceptive quotes, strawmen and disinformation.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Summing it up: Ben Stein and Mark Mathis are a couple of creationist wankers. Mathis lied to Dawkins, saying this movie wasn't a bunch of creationist wanking. Dawkins tells it like it is: this is a crappy movie based on lies, deceptive quotes, strawmen and disinformation.

I cannot see anything wrong with that statement at the moment. :grin:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I think the whole blogging-thing going on right now makes us see the what "flaming" is going on on a personal level. Not really interesting, makes the scientists seem less sientific because they deal out on said personal level and get offended on the same level, and the creationists, well... they didn't seem worthy of serious attention so far, and only become so thanks to the internet showing a quantity of them actually do exist in this world, many of them obviously in the US. To me, this is all unnecessarily public, a thing of belief and thus should be quite personal. The whole science vs. religion debate is so superfluous... I mean, who the hell cares if a scientist is a christian, an atheist, or something else? Job and belief really should be on a different level for every serious scientist and educated person in general, if you're not a religion scientist or a priest.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I think the whole blogging-thing going on right now makes us see the what "flaming" is going on on a personal level. Not really interesting, makes the scientists seem less sientific because they deal out on said personal level and get offended on the same level, and the creationists, well... they didn't seem worthy of serious attention so far, and only become so thanks to the internet showing a quantity of them actually do exist in this world, many of them obviously in the US. To me, this is all unnecessarily public, a thing of belief and thus should be quite personal. The whole science vs. religion debate is so superfluous... I mean, who the hell cares if a scientist is a christian, an atheist, or something else? Job and belief really should be on a different level for every serious scientist and educated person in general, if you're not a religion scientist or a priest.
Half of the US population thinks the world is less than ten thousand years old. Creationists have an extremely strong position in the United States, and it wasn't so long ago that acts making the teaching of evolution illegal passed by an overwhelming majority.
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Does what other people believe really have such a huge impact on your (everyone's) lives?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Its true that the creationist got their hooks in primary education. The curriculum's are decided on the state level and following a judgment they now have to pretend that creation science is not complete nonsense, by 'allowing for the possibility of intelligent design'.

Thats all fine, very egalitarian, but it doesn't belong in a science textbook. This battle was fought once before in the 50s and 60s, back then the US needed to go to the moon, to prove that they were more technically advanced than the soviets. The creationists were stamped out without a moments notice, no room for it in a cold war.

Now they are resuirrging, and again choosing education as the battlefield.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I have no problems with Intelligent Design being taught in public schools, just as long as it isn't taught as hard science or biology. It belongs with religious studies and the social sciences.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I don't know, I don't think it's a huge deal for it to be taught in science classes, as long as they put it in context as being a faith based theory.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

:(

Hilarious. It's not like I like Dawkins (he has read too much Dennet for his own good) or agree with most of his ideas but like his exemplar, he is smart fellow and surely knows how to write :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

If it's not science, why should it be taught in science classes?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

To get people off their backs.

I don't think it's a huge deal for it to be taught in science classes, as long as they put it in context as being a faith based theory.

No, it should be in a voluntary philosophy or religious studies class, not a science class.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

There was a radio show on yesturday where an intelligent sounding woman tried to defend the physical resurection of Jesus Christ as being 'the only resnoble explaination to the evidence we have'. As far as I can see, when the only explaination for somthing is someone physically coming back to life after three days, there's a problem.

It's not just that she belived this actually happened, but she tried to defend this as being about more than just faith, given the 'evidence'.

These are not the kind of people who should be teaching children science.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It's like in high school where when we were studying origins of life, there were three main models we were introduced to,

Primordial Soup Model

Extra-terrestrial

And then one other one that was like intelligent design, I'm not sure if it was called that though

We only went into depth on the first one, but they still mentioned the others because they are still out there. I mean, they still mention perpetual motion even though they pretty much laugh it off as impossible.

These are not the kind of people who should be teaching children science.

Right, those people don't teach children now, and I wouldn't expect that to change.

There is only one side in science and that is going by the empirical evidence at hand and applying the scientific method. You can't do that with Intelligent Design because its roots lie with religious belief and not sound scientific thought, Krookie. Intelligent Design does not belong with science. It belongs in Religious Studies.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You seem to feel pretty strongly about this issue Hades. Almost, fanatical.

There is only one side in science

I don't know about that.

Edited by thepixiesrock

There are very different sides in science of course :( But if you didn't quote it out of context, it might have become obvious that it actually means "only one viable method of backing up theories".

I agree that intelligent design should not be banned from school (banning never makes things better), but certainly not be taught in a science class, but rather be noted as theory with roots in mythology or belief.

I wouldn't particularly have a problem with them "teaching" ID and creationism in the same way they "teach" things like prior models of the atom, perpetual motion, the classical four elements and such: as completely debunked bull****. Science classes do tend to have some "history of science" thrown in. But you know the creationists wouldn't stand for that.

You seem to feel pretty strongly about this issue Hades. Almost, fanatical.
It's an important issue and teaching children that there is any real doubt about evolutionary biology

There is only one side in science

I don't know about that.

In this issue? There's one side: evolution as the origin of humanity is as much a fact as any scientific theory can be (read: pretty ****ing well).

I wouldn't particularly have a problem with them "teaching" ID and creationism in the same way they "teach" things like prior models of the atom *snip*

Certain atom models are still useful for calculating certain things, on school level at least, as long as it's made clear that these are no longer considered models that describe things accurately from nowadays knowledge. Thus it has it's place in an introductory science class, where, as you wrote, the history of science plays a role too. You cannot, however, calculate or conclude anything using ID, except trying to prove that it is a valid model. Thus it is completely self-centered and serves no further scientific purpose and should, in my opinion, not be taught as scientific approach to anything.

Edited by samm

That last post was just to bust Hades's chops. I think I've made my case.