Can women join SWAT?

Eddo36

Why do I find myself humming the tune from "Police Academy"...

I am not sure lowering physical standards is such a hot idea. It depends on how important physique is for their particular line of work I suppose. Is it that essential?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't see why they need to tone down the physical aspect of the job, but I don't see why a woman couldn't do the work.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

We have women doing combat roles in the Army. If they can do that, which is substantially more physical, then they can do SWAT. The question of different standards is moot. We have different standrads for different ages, for example. Tough jobs need to be smart about who they recruit not just exacting.

The real question about SWAT is the ridiculous increase in the number of SWAT units in the USA over the last few years. Even one horse towns now have a SWAT team. I've heard cops themselves saying that in small departments it is divisive, and skews the culture of policing towards violence.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

History of LAPD SWAT. LA SWAT has been all male ever since it's 60-70 yr history. Oh sure women can apply anytime. Just that none ever pass qualification, not because they were women, but because of things they can't do since they were women. Get it?

Edited by Eddo36

What kinds of things. Be specific.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

History of LAPD SWAT. LA SWAT has been all male ever since it's 60-70 yr history. Oh sure women can apply anytime. Just that none ever pass qualification, not because they were women, but because of things they can't do since they were women. Get it?

You mean SWAT doesn't have chest plates in their vests for women? Those kinds of things?

The report comes to light at a time of heightened attention on SWAT, which last month saw the first officer in its 40-year history killed in the line of duty and another badly wounded when they stormed the house of a mentally ill man who had barricaded himself after killing three family members.

Born out of the 1965 Watts riots and formalized as a unit in 1971, SWAT has been at the center of some of the LAPD's most violent and sensational encounters.

This says the LA SWAT has been around for only 40 years. :devil:

Twitter | @Insevin

I'd be skeptical of the chances of a woman surviving in SWAT even if she qualified by the normal standards.

Though I guess if the idea that they feel additional women on the SWAT team would diversify the skill set of the SWAT teams would outweigh the current physical qualifications, then it would make sense.

I'm not qualified to state whether or not they are.

alanschu: Whos got qualifications that can help in determining successful strategies for an inefficient SWAT team to improve? We need takers!! I think if women can be successful soldiers, they can be SWAT. Theres a whole US all-female Blackhawk helicopter group in Iraq right now, so I think women can handle riots and hostages.

Twitter | @Insevin

Yeah since 1 button typos are a big deal.

60-70 instead of 40 is not a typo

its misinformation or bad mistake

(such as thinking of your grandparents age while typing about SWAT teams)

Sorry, one thing for sure. Its not one button mistake, its 4 extra incorrect numerals or symbols (6,0,7,-).

We've got one thing in common though, Eddo. CNN freaks.

There was a Doonsbury comic where a female soldier was sexually assaulted. "I was sexually assaulted for my country? Wheres my purple heart?" She recieves a valentines day purple candy heart. :thumbsup:

But thats terrible to place on top of having a soldier's duties, to be harrassed or assaulted... :down:

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

I don't think physical standards should be lowered if they are the necessary requirements to do the job. If a woman can pass the same physical requirements that men are required to take, she should be allowed to join. Anything less would put the team in danger methinks.

Shouldn't a SWAT team going into a potentially hazardous situation be confident that each team member possesses the physical strength and endurance to overcome any environmental or human obstacle that presents itself? Whether that might be subduing an unarmed individual or scaling a wall or running up 25 flights of stairs to then subdue a fleeing suspect, the team should be confident that all members can do whatever the job requires. If a woman shows that she can, then she should be allowed to join. Standards should not be lowered.

If SWAT teams are using excessive force and tactics, I don't think sticking some women on the team for their communication and negotiation skills is necessarily the answer. Aren't there specially trained police negotiators for that kind of job? Do they have to be on a SWAT team to perform those duties?

Maybe they should review the SWAT deployment process instead of lowering standards. Just be reading the article, it seems like SWAT teams decide on their own negotiation and entry/rescue/suppression tactics. Maybe delegating negotiation tactics to other specialized groups and having SWAT go in when all else fails might be better

I know nothing about SWAT or police procedure. :) Just my thoughts

Now that Im goinbg through training I have a slightly different perspective. the physical standard for women are basically the minimum possible. The standards for men are basically just an added margin because we ought to be able to.

As for women not being goood enough, my last serious girlfriend was a woman, ex-Army and a sometime professional bodyguard. I dare say she'd whup most of you nervous nellies hands down. :) I met a female captain teh other day who runs the toughest all terrain marathons in the world. All this tosh about women not being incapable is pure bushwah.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

my last serious girlfriend was a woman
O rly?

But seriously:

and a sometime professional bodyguard. I dare say she'd whup most of you nervous nellies hands down. :thumbsup:
Sounds familiar.
All this tosh about women not being incapable is pure bushwah.
You sure that there isn't an "in-" too much? :thumbsup:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

my last serious girlfriend was a woman
O rly?

But seriously:

and a sometime professional bodyguard. I dare say she'd whup most of you nervous nellies hands down. :)
Sounds familiar.
All this tosh about women not being incapable is pure bushwah.
You sure that there isn't an "in-" too much? ;)

:ermm::lol:

-Elwood Blues