BREAKING NEWS: ALPHA PROTOCOL - OBSIDIAN MMORPG

Llyranor

Most likely. I can't think of a good reason why you wouldn't be able to change appearance. I can see that with Planescape: Torment it was the way the graphics and animations were handled, but things are different now.

Just a bit.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

With todays technology, the only contraint is how much time and effort the top dogs are prepared to spend on building such a system and making all the art assets you need. Doing something like Mass Effects face editor is no small feat.

I love making my own character, but Ill settle for a prefab if its really awesome (like marcus phoenix)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

With todays technology, the only contraint is how much time and effort the top dogs are prepared to spend on building such a system and making all the art assets you need. Doing something like Mass Effects face editor is no small feat.

I love making my own character, but Ill settle for a prefab if its really awesome (like marcus phoenix)

Marcus Phoenix, oh please. Let me give you a lesson on the finer arts of homo-eroticism :p

I there has to be a prefab, i would choose:

A little of Indy

Harrison-Ford-Photograph-C12142367.jpeg

A touch of McLane

9-bruce-willis-1.jpg

A spoonfull of Bond

sean-connery-good.jpg

And finally a death-stare of Rambo

RamboDeathStare.jpg

Done, and done. Obsidian! Take notes.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Um... Who's Marcus Phoenix?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Play Gears of War, and you'll find out.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

He's voiced by the same guy who does Bender :p

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

He's voiced by the same guy who does Bender :p

Who also did Wacka in Final Fantasy X, an RPG, from Japan.

You hear that Kaftan?

From Japan.

Anyhoo, this is about as off-topic we can go before Steve locks this thread up. Numerous of Obsidian employees have read this thread without commenting, so it looks like the NDA hasn't been lifted yet.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Well, to take this thread back on track, I like the idea so much Im going to preorder this game.

But everyone has his hangups, and mine is with dialogue trees. Im not too keen on the idea of replacing text strings with some sort of mood indicator/emoticon/thingammabob, because it feels like the player is being muted in a way. The classic method of having dialogue options where the line the player chooses is exactly the same as what the PC says is the minimum required, IMO. I really loved ME's system of first having the options reflect more what the PC is thinking than print the actual line, and then sorting the reply options in such a way that you could always tell that, for instance, the diplomatic answer was always in the upper left corner. That way, you have complete control over your actions, while at the same time, you'll never know exactly what the PC will say, thus making the dialogue more fun to watch.

Guest The Architect

I like the sound of that dialogue system.

Sand, limiting the customisation of your character has its advantages, since it gives the developers more of a chance to create a stronger plot with additional flexibility and deeper role playing than one with a more open ended PC, since they have more time and space to work with.

A step backwards in CRPG design you say? Hahahaha, no.

I donn't think "deeper" roleplaying as such, but more controlled rolepalaying.

In a nutshell, the developers have a lot more to say in the dicatation of what makes the story. Personally, I think that is a good thing. it worked rather well in Bioshock for instance.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I donn't think "deeper" roleplaying as such, but more controlled rolepalaying.

In a nutshell, the developers have a lot more to say in the dicatation of what makes the story. Personally, I think that is a good thing. it worked rather well in Bioshock for instance.

Controlled roleplay is good. That's why most FPSs have such good roleplay elements. Like Call of Duty.

It must be a lean season for writers :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I like the sound of that dialogue system.

Sand, limiting the customisation of your character has its advantages, since it gives the developers more of a chance to create a stronger plot with additional flexibility and deeper role playing than one with a more open ended PC, since they have more time and space to work with.

A step backwards in CRPG design you say? Hahahaha, no.

Sorry, but I don't buy that one bit. Take a good look at Mass Effect. It has a strong plotline with solid role play, yet it allows you to have a full range of character types to play as. Certainly your last name has to be Shepherd but that is the only limit of what is dictated by the game. What you say may be true a decade ago, but with how games have evolved since then. It is a step backwards in CRPG design.

I read the title of the thread 'OBSIDIAN MMORPG, NEW OBSIDIAN CONSOLE-EXCLUSIVE ACTION MMORPG'...

Rage building! RAAAGH! MMORPG?!? CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE!?? GRRRR!!

Then I read the actual report. Rage fading... fading... gone.

This RPG actually sounds pretty cool. Just hope you can torture people like Jack Bauer. :)

'Where is the nuclear suit-case bomb!? Oh, wont tell me eh?"

:Jabs pencil in eye: :ban:

Good point. Who the crap wants to be named Michael Thorton? What if I wanted to be Jack Bauer Thorton? What then, huh? Huh?

I'm Jack Bauer Shepard! Or I would be if I had touched the game aside from the first day I got it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)