Bioshock 2 concept art revealed

Morgoth

Very tyte! From the looks of it, those concept arts might be from an opening ride similar to the one in Bioshock. This time set in a construction yard and a train car.

Furthermore, let me acknowledge my joy of finally getting a sequel to an original game I like that's not done by a separate studio and company years later.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I wasn't really all that impressed with the original.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I wasn't really impressed with your face to begin with.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I wasn't really all that impressed with the original.

Totally agree, but I always have hope that when the same team (mostly) can make a sequel they will make improvements. Jagged Alliance 1 wasn't NEARLY (not even close) the awesome game that Jagged Alliance 2 became. When a different design team with a different vision picks up the rights to do a sequel, I think there is less opportunity for improvement. Bioshock had potential, it was just nerfed due to its desire to be the simplistic computer equivalent of knocking colored pegs through their matching holes with a bright red plastic hammer.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

A prequel sounds like the perfect way to go with this series.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

My main problem with BioShock is that there is no threat of death. You die, you just pop out of a cloning booth. You die again, you again pop right out of a cloning booth, ad nauseum. There is no danger, no thrills, nothing fun in a game like that. Well, at least for me.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I just can't get scared in a game without permadeath.

QUEIT YOU!

Oh, well. I like them.

kirottu said:

They're darn good, no wonder those could be thought as real concept art

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

• 2 weeks later...
I just can't get scared in a game without permadeath.

Death is not scary, it's what happens before you die, that's scary.

Reloading saved games or using vita-chambers; it's the same kind of cheating, except reloading is worse.. imo.

Permadeath? Imagine that, worst case scenario: you die.. last screen you see before the game exits to windows and uninstalls itself permanently is "Game Over" and then 2K's homepage is updated with your retail copy as "R.I.P.-OFF".

Hm.. no thanks.

(Signatures: disabled) 

The problem with the Vita Chambers is that there was virtually no penalty for death. Besides respawning at half health/EVE, your enemy's health wasn't reset, making the game more about perseverance (respawning, shoot, dying, repeat), than about strategy.

The problem with the Vita Chambers is that there was virtually no penalty for death.

Exaactly. Death in computer games isn't really about your player character(s) "dying" (unles you are playing an Iron Man type of thingie like in Wiz :), it's about a game giving you some reason to avoid having your player character(s) die, ie the penalty. Bioshock not only had no penalties attached to pc death, but it really encouraged your pc to seek death (although not in an interesting way like PS:T might have) which just seems remarkably dumb in a FPS game.

IMO, Levine simply wanted to make a game that was incredibly easy and simple. WHich he did. It was also boring. WHich probably follows logically, I suppose.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I still disagree that Bioshock was "boring", because it still had a great gameplay and a great story. The Vita-Chambers were a mistake, yes, but it didn't ruin the game for me.

I probably wouldn't have found it as disappointing if I hadn't played System Shock 1 and 2 to death. And disappinting is a key word here. I don't think Bioshock was a bad game, just a whole lot less compelling than I was hoping for. It's quite similar to my reaction to Deus EX and and its follow up Invisible War. Even though Bioshock isn't a "sequel" in the traditional sense, more like a remake.

But let's be honest. The little sisters and big daddy AIs were cool at first, but when they kept doing the exact same behavior level after level with 0 variation, the initial thrill quickly passed into monotony, at least for me.

I actually disagreee that the VIta chambers were the biggest problem. They really just function as autosave points, simply deactivating them in the game isn't really going to improve the experience of the gameplay.