Did Obsidian make any sort of appearance in GDC?

Winterwolf

Did Obsidian make any sort of appearance in GDC? I've been looking but all I've got was interviews with magic man's and Bioware's doctors. And since Gearbox revealed their Aliens game then how long does it take for Obsidian to reveal its Alien game? Will Obsidian reveal anything in this year? When will the mass media of gaming realize that Obsidian is cool? It's been like 4 years already and Obsidian still is put aside as the little brother of Bioware.

Enough with the dancing clown.

There's too much of this unsettling silence around Obsidian lately.

Exactly. And it's been like 2 months since Chris last updated his blog. What's up with that? Not that I'd check his blog everyday, but there's something fishy going on.

Enough with the dancing clown.

Silence usually means they're damn busy, which indicates a deadline, or milestone...

They're probably so busy because they're getting everything ready for some kind of announcement, or they've fallen behind. I can't say, because I don't know, but I honestly expect they will be showing something soon.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

considering the blog posts from a few of Obsidian developers, they seem to be busy.

http://texturemonkey.blogspot.com/2008/01/tentativeness.html

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Very busy for me lately, work-wise. As usual I can't get into the specifics in this rather public area, but a lot of ups and downs for me professionally, lately. Things are pretty quiet with our studio publicly, but I'll say this much - we're very busy on all fronts. I checked out the "other game" (Aliens) a little -- well, from a distance -- and it's still got my eye.. very interesting.

A lot of us (~26) were at GDC, but no one gave any talks. For next year, I'm applying to give a talk on dialogue tools. I can't believe there are developers that still work with Excel as their method of inputting text.

WHAT! That's insane!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

... Obsidian still is put aside as the little brother of Bioware.

actually its the other way around, now more than ever since Bioware was bought by EA

Umm........ok.

Today Obsidian has more in common with Black ISle than Bioware, while Bioware managed to get a better profile on their new name, Obsidian is better in a lot of things by now, however this will only manifest in the minds of the people in the coming 5 years

obsidianisle3fn5.png

let me rephrase myself: "The isle was made of black obsidian" :-

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

actually its the other way around, now more than ever since Bioware was bought by EA

Umm........ok.

Today Obsidian has more in common with Black ISle than Bioware, while Bioware managed to get a better profile on their new name, Obsidian is better in a lot of things by now, however this will only manifest in the minds of the people in the coming 5 years

obsidianisle3fn5.png

OK, but right now Bioware is a giant and Obsidian are yet to really make their mark, and by that I mean having a really big hit.

Umm........ok.

obsidianisle3fn5.png

OK, but right now Bioware is a giant and Obsidian are yet to really make their mark, and by that I mean having a really big hit.

still, Obsidian's little brother is rich, but still just a little brother :brows:

IB1OsQq.png

In the eyes of larger gaming community/media BioWare is the Top Dog. Nothing can change that at this time.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Actually, as the years go by, Obsidian will be less in common with BIS, and be more Obsidian.

And, neither BIO or Obsidiana re anyone's 'little brother'. They're seperate companies who either work together in the past udner other companies (BIS was BIO's publisher previously) or worked on the other's games sequels (Obsidian on NWN2 and KOTOR2).

BIO, unarguably, has had more success but they have also been around much longer. Obsidian has done well since its formation crafting 2 successful sequels (whether you like 'em or not is irrlevant). Espicially in the cas eof NWN2 which has warranted at least one expansion (and, likely naother on the way).

On Topic: Meh. They'll talk when they feel the time to talk not when whiny board members demand it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Silence usually means they're damn busy, which indicates a deadline, or milestone...

They're probably so busy because they're getting everything ready for some kind of announcement, or they've fallen behind. I can't say, because I don't know, but I honestly expect they will be showing something soon.

In that case, the silence is good news! I am looking forward to what Obsidian eventually reveals!*

*Hoping for a 2nd NWN2 expansion and KOTOR 3. :)

Umm........ok.

obsidianisle3fn5.png

let me rephrase myself: "The isle was made of black obsidian" :)

Thankfully! I can't tell you how much I miss my Black Isle fixes... only new releases by Obsidian seem to quell the withdrawals!