US Presidential Elections

Guard Dog

To that point I will counter by posing the same challenge to you as I did to Sand: Write one letter to your State Senator and another to one of your US Senators and see which one responds to you. The answer there should be self evident. The legislators and bureaucrats elected from the smallest voter pools will be most in tune with the needs and issues facing the people from those pools.

Sure, but is that always a good thing? A legislator who spends all of his time writing back to every nutball who sends him a letter isn't doing a whole lot of reasoned consideration of larger policy issues. There is a continuum between a totally responsive rulemaker with zero subject matter expertise, and a non-responsive expert rulemaker. Local and state governmental officials tend to be closer to the former, and federal bureaucrats delegated power via legislation tend to be closer to the latter. And, depending upon the nature of the policy being discussed, one will generally be more effective than the other.

I have no argument with that concerning issues like pollution and transportation where more than one state is affected. However when it comes to Education, Health Care, social issues, etc, what is good for the New York Goose does not work for the California Gander. For example Florida raises money through property tax and sales tax. The Department of Education Organization Act of 1980 then requires the state to pay part of that to Uncle Sam to fund the Department of Education which turns around and pays that money back to the States to fund education programs. Really is just feeds a bureaucratic machine who's appetite for money knows no limit. Now the DOE has the ability to withhold money (that the state raised in taxes) from the state if the State Secretary of Education (who is elected) does something the US Sec Education (who is NOT elected) does not like. Now with the No Child Left Behind act it is even worse. Now the DOE can target a single school in a single school district for a funding cut. Enoch, the local school board whose members were all locally elected has been effectively neutered buy a Washington Bureaucrat who is not elected therefore accountable to no one. I realize you are a Washington guy but as a lawyer, as an educated American, can you not see how someone would have a problem with that? To make matters worse, the US Constitution does not mention the word "Education" or allude to ANYTHING that can be construed as Education, so where does the Federal Government get this power? From nowhere, it takes it and what can one do? Nothing, really especially since five of the nine wise souls on 1st ST in DC have no heartburn with the Federal Government exceeding Constitutional limitations.

I really don't know much about Education's funding and programs (in federal parlance, the Department of Energy = "DOE" and the Department of Education = "Education"), and it may well be that they're promulgating some poor policies (I'm not the biggest fan of NCLB, either). But on a theoretical level, I don't really think that entirely local control over educational standards and funding is a particularly good idea. Sure, it made sense a century ago, when geography determined a person's employment future to a great extent, but nowadays, the educational needs of children don't differ a whole lot based on their location. And education is a vitally important part of ensuring the future of America's international economic competitiveness , so I don't see much wrong with federal legislators and bureaucrats having the authority of prevent local elected officials from sabotaging this by retaining lousy teachers, overcrowding classrooms, or indulging in the periodic curricular lunacy of the Kansas School Board. Also by drawing on a national or state-wide source of funding, communities can avoid the vicious cycle of bad schools --> low land values --> low tax income --> bad schools.

More local control has the advantage of quicker response time to fix policy failures, and it preserves the experimental benefits of federalism (i.e., states and localities being "policy laboratories" where ideas are tested before being applied more broadly). But some federal oversight added to the mix is very helpful to bring substandard jurisdictions in line, and to distribute resources in a more effective way than local tax funding does.

Edited by Enoch

Do the states have any strings that they can pull back for balance of power? Senate/congress?isn't it the legislative branch that can change balance this back out? So they do have power if they can agree upon the issue correct?

Has the federal government always had power to trump the states government when not even at war?

The States can file suit in federal court if the federal action was in fact beyond it's constitutional powers. States have won suits like this before (see, for example, New York v. United States). They can also try to influence members of Congress to change laws and cede more authority to them.

As to the second question, yes. The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution (Art. IV, clause 2) ensures that the federal Constitution and all laws made under its authority (i.e., by Congress) are the "supreme law of the Land." State laws that contravene federal laws are a dead letter.

Edited by Enoch

Nader on running for president at meet the press:

Part - 1

Part - 2

Boy, he is angry. And he's also pushing my buttons on a couple issues. Finally, the guy is 74? Three years older than McCain? Maybe being a part of the 'green' party has kept him pretty healthy :teehee:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nader got 2.7% in 2000 under the Green Party nomination, but only .3% in 2004 as an independent. People voted for him in 2000 because he based his campaign around the similarities of Bush and Gore. Now, I think everybody knows that the differences are painfully clear. If anything, he's more a threat to McCain's pool of independent voters than Obama's.

Yeah. I was going to say, why are we treating Nader's effect as zero sum? Surely a third party candidate can activate unused votes, rather than simply stealing?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Looks like Obama is a islamist terrorist.

lulz, whut?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

lulz, whut?

A picture that shows Obama dressed as a muslim.

Hvae you been mainlining pop-rocks or something today, DR?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So, every single muslim is a terrorist now?

I saw the pic and he looks like no freaking terrorist, Dark Raven. He looks like an American in traditional Kenyan garments. Make sense since his father was Kenyan. You are grasping at straws on this one.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So, every single muslim is a terrorist now?

I saw the pic and he looks like nor freaking terrorist, Dark Raven. You are grasping at straws on this one.

Nope. He's going down. Time for him to quit the elections.

More information.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I think that this is a poor tactic of Billary, trying to play on people's fears instead of running a honest campaign. Obviously she can't win otherwise.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

lulz, whut?

Hvae you been mainlining pop-rocks or something today, DR?

Looky

I know precisely which picture you are referring to, and I repeat the question. You're bouncing off the walls today.

-Elwood Blues

Even if he was Muslim, what would be the big deal?

How?

Religion is a private affair between oneself and one's deity of choice. As long as a person doesn't go around killing people or try to force others to convert I say let people worship what gods they may.

'Aye ain't been votin' for no goddamn mus-o-lim' is what Gabs is getting at.

Muesli?

-Elwood Blues

I think that this is a poor tactic of Billary, trying to play on people's fears instead of running a honest campaign. Obviously she can't win otherwise.

The rumors about Obama have been echoed on Internet message boards and chain e-mails.

Who's Billary? :) No, Hillary isn't being a bad person here. Obama often doesn't provide evidence of how he will fulfill his claims. I do not beleive that Obama is "bad" or a terrorist, just not the right choice for america. As for the quote from the article: irony!

Walkerguy is an idiot. Do not listen to him. Listen to me. hatnosewj3.gif

This pic thing was utterly despisable thing by Billary. Damn bitch.

Go go Obama!

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

This pic thing was utterly despisable thing by Billary. Damn bitch.

Go go Obama!

If it was her on purpose I think it was a damned silly idea. Yes it will turn off a number of voters, but frankly they'd probably turn against him anyway. In the meantime she looks like she can't even play straight within her own party. I think being petty plays worse than doing a photo op.

-Elwood Blues