US Presidential Elections

Guard Dog

Last thing I want to see is Bush to Clinton to Bush back to Clinton. Hell, if Clinto wins it it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Jeb Bush tries for the Republican nominee next time around. Then we will have George Clinto (Bill's brother) or even Chelsea give it a try. WE NEED TO STOP THIS NOW!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Last thing I want to see is Bush to Clinton to Bush back to Clinton. Hell, if Clinto wins it it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Jeb Bush tries for the Republican nominee next time around. Then we will have George Clinto (Bill's brother) or even Chelsea give it a try. WE NEED TO STOP THIS NOW!

I can see it now! It would be hillary until 2016, Jeb Bush until 2024, Chelsea until 2032, George P Bush (Jebs son) up to 2040, by then Chelsea will have a child old enough!

I think i'd move to Canada first! o:)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is a pretty interesting read. It discusses in good detail what the four possible outcomes of todays primary elections could be and what they mean. Although most of you are politically saavy enough to figure that out on your own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/us/polit...amp;oref=slogin

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Look like Hillary Clinton wins Indiana, Obama wins North Carolina. Neither election was close. So since they both pick up roughly the same number of delegates and votes looks like the outcome today is a push. Both candidates are still virtually tied.

And the race goes on....

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Thomas Sowell

Not so fast Enoch, there are two cards left to play. Florida and Michigan. There is a real sentiment here that not seating the Florida delegation means Florida (the 4th biggest electoral prize) will likely go to McCain in November. If they do seat the Florida and Michigan delegates Hillary is all but guaranteed the lead in popular votes. That would be a compelling argument to use on the superdelegates who I still believe WANT Hillary as the nominee. Think about it, if a majority of the Supers really wanted Obama, they could have declared for him already and put this charade to bed for good. I still think the want Hillary and only need one thing to hang their hat on to give it to her. A win in total popular vote might be enough. Or it might not, who knows. As long as they keep tearing each other apart I'm happy.

Thomas Sowell

Not so fast Enoch, there are two cards left to play. Florida and Michigan. There is a real sentiment here that not seating the Florida delegation means Florida (the 4th biggest electoral prize) will likely go to McCain in November. If they do seat the Florida and Michigan delegates Hillary is all but guaranteed the lead in popular votes. That would be a compelling argument to use on the superdelegates who I still believe WANT Hillary as the nominee. Think about it, if a majority of the Supers really wanted Obama, they could have declared for him already and put this charade to bed for good. I still think the want Hillary and only need one thing to hang their hat on to give it to her. A win in total popular vote might be enough. Or it might not, who knows. As long as they keep tearing each other apart I'm happy.

Florida might be counted, but Michigan certainly won't be. (It was essentially a Soviet election-- vote Hillary or "uncommitted." It would be insane to give it any credence.) And your theory that the remaining uncommitted superdelegates want to give the nomination to Hillary more than they want to have a viable Democratic party over the next decade is a whole lot of wishful thinking. They haven't "put this charade to bed" yet because no candidate has the delegates necessary to mathematically cinch the nomination, and there are still people who haven't voted. Superdelegates are politicians. Politicians like to back winners. Once the last primary is done, they'll issue press releases endorsing the delegate leader. Even some of the Supers currently pledged to Clinton will probably switch if she's not in the lead when the voting is done. (NJ Gov. Corzine has hinted as much.)

People down there might be angry about the exclusion of their delegation now, but, when push comes to shove, I really really doubt it's going to influence any votes in November. Do people really take procedural bickering between the FL DNC and the national DNC more seriously than they do war, the recession, taxes, healthcare, etc.? Heck, the GOP is excluding half of the Florida delegates at their convention, too!

I'm a big fan of ublic education, even if my own was private (in fact possibly more so because of it :shifty: ) What are the views there?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm a big fan of ublic education, even if my own was private (in fact possibly more so because of it :( ) What are the views there?

In the U.S., public education is administered at the state level, but the federal government does get involved mostly by giving large education grants to the states with conditions attached. In general, the Democrats tend to be in favor of more federal money and involvement. Republicans generally prefer less federal involvement, and when there is federal involvment, stricter standards that schools/teachers/etc. have to meet to keep the funds.

As for this election in particular, in the Democratic primary, there is very, very little difference between the two candidates on any policy matter, including education. Yeah, their published healthcare plans have slightly different approaches, and Clinton has come out in support of the gas tax holiday idea, but apart from that, they agree on almost everything. That race has been almost entirely about personality, experience, public trust, etc.

For the general election, I'll confess that I really don't know how the presumptive nominees stack up with each other in terms of education policy.

Guess by adding Michigan's and Florida's votes, the rules installed beforehand would be meaningless huh.

I suppose from then on every election, conventions would happily break the rules whenever they see fit if there are no penalty at all.

Can't argue with that.

Looks like Michigan is in. HC gets 69, BO gets 59.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

That's not racist, it just means that she think a large part of americans are. I'd find that insulting, but then again I find Hillary in general to be insulting.

And noone besides Hillary and some optimistic republicans thought that she had a chance of winning.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary, when are you going to stop pumping your own money into a dieing campaign and realize that you cannot win this?

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hillary is desperate and apparently racist, too. Still think she's gonna win? :*

That's not racist, it just means that she think a large part of americans are. I'd find that insulting, but then again I find Hillary in general to be insulting.

And noone besides Hillary and some optimistic republicans thought that she had a chance of winning.

sad face :no:

Twitter | @Insevin