PLAY BALL! The 2008 Baseball Season Begins

Guard Dog

"I think it'd be cool to see them win the division this year,"

They did last season thanks to the Mets being boneheads.. will liekly not happen this season...

We're tied now!!

Pretty big series coming up. :ermm:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I think it'd be cool to see them win the division this year,"

They did last season thanks to the Mets being boneheads.. will liekly not happen this season...

We're tied now!!

Pretty big series coming up. :(

It's times like these when I wish I had the MLB online video package. ESPN did pick up the Wednesday game though right?

The Arizona Diamondbacks acquire P Jon Rauch from the Washington Nationals for IF Emilio Bonifacio

The Houston Astros sign P Jim Brower to a minor league contract

The San Diego Padres trade P Randy Wolf to the Houston Astros for P Chad Reineke

The Washington Nationals sign SS Cristian Guzman to a 2yr contract extension

Nady and Marte to the Yankees for ?

LINK

Another more complete LINK

Nady and Marte have been dealt for right-hander Ross Ohlendorf and three prospects. Those prospects are believed to be lefty Phil Coke, outfielder Jose Tabata and right-hander George Kontos.

Dodgers release P Matt Riley and IF's Mark Bellhorn and Ramon Martinez

Mariners sign P Oscar Villarreal to a minor league contract

Edited by Kelverin

Was this is 2nd try? I thought he had been on there before and didn't make it..It's all about the year that you're trying to enter truthfully. Even qualified players get turned down when there's a phenomenal hall inductee class.

Was this is 2nd try? I thought he had been on there before and didn't make it..It's all about the year that you're trying to enter truthfully. Even qualified players get turned down when there's a phenomenal hall inductee class.

It was his ninth year on the ballot. Exceptional closer that often went 2-3 innings to get a save unlike today's prima donna's that pitch for an inning or even less to get a save.

"prima donna's that pitch for an inning or even less to get a save. "

L0L Prima donnas? Like thye chose that. That's 100% manager decision to make that change; not the players.

And, the old days were full of whiny prima donnas. We just didn't hear about it because the media were wussies.

That's 100% manager decision to make that change; not the players.

So all the managers just decided to stop using pitcher to close games in the 7th inning? And when did this trend begin? Pitch counts also a managers decision as well, no outside pressure from management, agents, the players themselves?

Considienrg that most picthers would prefer to eb starters (for the glory!), I seriously doubt that pitchers/relievers/closers as a group went to MLB and made a demand to only picth 1 inning because any more than that would be cruel and unusual. L0L

actually, the concept of pulling pitchers earlier than most of us think is acceptable began quite a while ago (in the early 90s maybe?) with the biometrics thing. someone did some analysis and determined that pitchers lose effectiveness around 100-110 pitches. basically, they noted that pitchers had much better w/l records, lower eras and gave up fewer hits if they stopped pitching before 100-110 pitches. tony larussa jumped on this and began yanking his guys in this region, no matter how well they were pitching. he's moderated his willingness to do this over the years (he lets carpenter complete games, for example, even if he hits 120 pitches), but he still has a knack for pulling a guy in the 7th even though he's given up only a few hits. other managers hopped on the bandwagon and it has become the norm across the league.

yes, it is the manager's decision, but he's certainly talking to others for input (larussa and duncan are peas in a pod, for example). he's also watching the pitches to see if they're hitting their mark, and looking at pitcher mechanics (pitching coach's job) to see if bad habits are creeping in (which is a sign the pitcher is getting tired). it's incredibly complicated overall (the reasons), and i'm not 100% convinced it is always the right decision. sometimes a pitcher just has the opposing team's number and they ain't gonna hit him regardless of how many pitches he's thrown.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The Cleveland Indians acquire P Anthony Reyes from the St.Louis Cardinals for P Luis Perdomo

about time they got rid of reyes.

Dodgers acquire 3B Casey Blake from the Cleveland Indians for P Jon Meloan and C Carlos Santana

o ye como va, felipe!

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yankees fill need, acquire Pudge

"NEW YORK -- Dealing from their greatest area of strength to fill a pressing need, the Yankees acquired 14-time All-Star catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers on Wednesday in exchange for right-handed reliever Kyle Farnsworth."

LINK

White Sox sign OF Jason Tyner to a minor league contract

Mets release P Juan Padilla

The Seattle Mariners claim P Luis Munoz off waivers from the Pittsburgh Pirates

Report: Griffey to White Sox pending OK

Sixth-leading all-time home run hitter must approve trade

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Today's the trade deadline, so expect a lot of action. Too bad I can't edit this thread as I go, instead of making new posts all the time..

Edited by Kelverin