Best NWN2 modules?

roshan

I was wondering, what are the best NWN2 modules out there? I suppose enough time has passed for some long quality modules to be released.

In particular, I am looking modules that feature either challenging combat or lots of roleplaying, and at least 15 hours of gameplay (I dont like anything short).

Thanks.

I only played Tragedy in Tragidor, Pool of Radiance Remastered (First Chapter), and Dark Waters 1, plus some with smaller scope. Of these, I only recommend Pool of Radiance Remastered, it really seemed professionally executed, though not very original in terms of storyline. It just kept me playing like a full price game should. All three chapters should be available by now.

Tragedy in Tragidor didn't have that much appeal, it was not so interesting and not very carefully executed (floating buildings and trees, not all doors set etc), and Dark Waters felt like a pre-alpha version of something that could become slightly interesting. Both modules could however already be improved by now.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I don't think there is any mod at the moment with 15 hours of playtime that I'd recommend (I hear Pool of Radiance is fun though, haven't tried it).

Nighthowls in Nestlehaven is fairly long, and has both roleplaying and combat. Combat was generally challenging, but there was way to much of it for my taste.

The best one so far is Harp & Crysanthemum. While it's not as long, it's the first mod for NWN2 that I would call very good and with no glaring flaws. Very impressive.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Pool of Radiance is probably the best mod out there at the moment, although chapters 2 & 3 contain frequent typos/grammatical issues in addition to a couple bugs. Nothing game-breaking, however.

From what I've seen Purgatorio is easily going to be the best, and it's due to be released soon!

manthing2.jpg

... as it was exactly one year ago :p

The module the Rogue Dao team planned a year ago bears only passing resemblance to the currently in production version of Purgatorio. For example, original plans called for no custom music or voice-over, currently the soundtrack is 3.5 hours long and all of the cutscenes will be voiced over. Another example, no custom creatures were planned, now there are going to be many. The length/breadth/scope in every area of production have been dramatically increased over the interceding year. The quality is also a lot higher :)

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

... as it was exactly one year ago :p

The module the Rogue Dao team planned a year ago bears only passing resemblance to the currently in production version of Purgatorio. For example, original plans called for no custom music or voice-over, currently the soundtrack is 3.5 hours long and all of the cutscenes will be voiced over. Another example, no custom creatures were planned, now there are going to be many. The length/breadth/scope in every area of production have been dramatically increased over the interceding year. The quality is also a lot higher :)

I am happy.

• 1 year later...

The Zork remake is goddamn kickass, really well done.

Also, if you like it, the entire Dark Waters campaign is completed (three chapters).

Fate of a City was quite good. A bit to much running back and forth, but there were some nice consequences to your decisions.

The Conan Chronicles (3 chapters) are really good. And despite what you may think, it's not a hack and slash thing. There are plenty of opportunities for a Rogue to shine for example. It's a lot of fun.

I haven't tried it myself, but the Hunt in the Dark mod remake is generally liked. And the sequel called Loltwanchi just got released to too long ago.

Asphyxia was pretty good as well.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The best one so far is Harp & Crysanthemum. While it's not as long, it's the first mod for NWN2 that I would call very good and with no glaring flaws. Very impressive.

I would also say that's the best module. Moonshadows is also very good. Funnily enough both makers of those mods now work for Ossian, maybe thats why MoW was that enjoyable.

Cool. What about nice mods to the engine/OC? I'm not even halfway through the OC yet and still have MotB to go. :D

Kaedrin's PRC mods are very good. Adding new classes spells and feats to the game.

My personal favourite is Warlock Reworked. But that only if you like Warlocks. Unfortunately the developer stopped supporting it, so to get it to work you have to do a little modifying.

They besides items/fixes are the only mods I use.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I've downloaded Dark Waters - it's pretty good but the prologue is bland - which is a shame because when you dip into it the setting is interesting.

The first level contains, however, one of this puzzles moving mirrors around that invariably leaves me reaching for the off switch.

Am going to try POR next - played the NWN1 version and that was fun.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm mucking about with NWN2 mods at the moment. I've been playing NWN2 a lot recently... if you invest a lot of time tuning the camera and AI it's very good (I wish I didn't have to spend a lot of time doing that but ho-hum). The strategy top-down view appeals a lot.

Anyway, here's three I found that I like -

Vordan's Hero Creator

Roll up a character, give him a gazillion gold pieces and equip him with all the best loot from all the games, then fight in an arena or export him for use in another game. Yes, it's just a character generator mod, but it's well designed, stable, easy-to-use and fun. For what it sets out to do it gets 9/10 for me. You can download the latest version which includes all the SoZ classes and races too.

The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

An adaptation of a 1982 Gary Gygax module (which I played PnP in about 1985 IIRC), you know that you're getting a classic hack'n'slash dungeon crawl. This one is for level 10-20 characters (my favourite power level) and it's a bit rough around the edges. But, it has well-designed combat and some interesting areas / level design and a load of ready to go cohorts (the 15th level Wizard raised my eyebrows a bit, but there are some tough battles). The lack of supporting documentation meant that I wasn't to know that evil NPCs can't get cohorts (I rolled up a comedy Grey Orc Rog 4 / Ftr 8 dual-wielding monkey-gripped falchions, had to change his alignment). The only Hak this requires is a random looting script.

The Grimm Brigade

A strange, witty little mod with lots of custom items. You make a character, join the brothers Grimm and fight little combat scenarios very loosely based on fiary tales. An enjoyable distraction.

----

If I find any more hidden gems on NWN2 vault I'll post 'em up.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

-Pool of Radiance: It pulls from the original dos video game, the novel and the D&D module. I only wish the module author had pulled some of the conversation from the novels and put them in the game, allowing the player to take part.

-Halloween 08': A large compilation from multiple mod authors. Looks amazing. Each house interior is some form of Halloween story or event. The quality from one house to another is drastic, but you will find some real gems in it.

-Harp & Chrysanthenum: Module author is very skilled at creating beautiful locations. Now a member of Ossian I believe.

-Moonshadows: Another Ossian member side mod.

I also really enjoyed Grimm Brigade. It was the winner of the Grimm fairy tale contest some time back.

• 4 months later...
... as it was exactly one year ago :down:

...better make that 3 years ago :(

I think its safe to say this thing is dead. You have to admire their gall though: Not only did they promise release date upon release date which passed them by faster than Winona Ryder can shoplift Saks, but they release the half-done, bug-ridden, remnant of their module as "New Purgatorio Content release! Yay - grab some b00bies and celebrate!". Granted, the Pugatorio fanbois/gurls lap up every excuse they're fed (they're from the same genealogy as the Team Gizka you see), but it's still high grade audacity.

Ah well, another amateur-wannabe-professional group bites the dust. RogueDao, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

manthing2.jpg

Except that the group is still around, and with plenty of people in it, and with work being done on the mod. Don't get me wrong, the project was way bloated and suffered from enormous scope creep during Monty's lead, and after he left for OEI (making most of the rest of the team scatter) the mod was grossly mismanaged when (in my humble opinion) they should've pushed towards a quick release instead of aiming for a superlarge mod.

But yep, believe it or not, they are still active on the mod. Again, if I had been in the charge of the project, I would've opted for cutting stuff at this point instead of adding. But it's alive unlike the Team gizka one where there was afaik only one modder left and he hadn't done any work on the project in several months. And what the current has done well is that they haven't as far as I know set any release dates for a full release, unlike the old team which set several release dates when the mod wasn't even remotely close to being finished.

What's with the insults though? We all know that most or many modders *are* amateurs and haven't worked in the gaming industry and they do this stuff in their free time. Perhaps they are fools for undertaking such a huge project, but better to encourage them and giving constructive criticism since there's the possibility of getting good and free content.

And modules. Fairly newly release Live Forever was really nice and interesting (though rather linear). I'm beta-testing a really nice little mod called Trinity at the moment which has some really nice choices in it and I would recommend people play that when it comes out (shouldn't be too long).

Hey, if they're dead not only can they not be insulted, but I'm also remembering them in all their (hyped) glory. And if by some miracle they're still alive, a little controversy ought to ignite public interest and/or give them the spark to prove me wrong. See, it's a win-win situation for everybody. They should be thanking me really. And some people think I'm uncharitable. *tsk tsk*

manthing2.jpg

Yes, I'm sure they will be reading the OEI boards and go "Oh my god, this jaguars4ever guy has found out what we have been missing all this time! Get to work fellas!" :down:

And if they're dead I shouldn't be able to speak with them. I playtested the mod for about half a year (Spring and Summer or thereabouts, and they did good progress) and still speak with some of the teammembers.

Like I said, mismanaged to hell and back? Oh yes. Dead? Not at all.

But I know you do it out of the love of your heart!

LOL.

I should hope so. But it sounds like you've had some mod management experience, starwars. And I don't mean the snazzy weidu installer kind.

Ever mod anything famous? Like something the average Obsidianite would pat you on the back for instead of lynching you - though I suppose that too would make you (in)famous.

manthing2.jpg

Nah, I have a NWN2 mod lying around that I kinda poke away at every now and then but it's mostly for my own amusement. Don't know when or if it'll ever be finished. So I can't claim much cred in that area unfortunately. :down:

But I mean, I definitely agree with you in some ways. The mod should've been finished by now, no question. And with proper managing and planning it would've been finished a long time ago. It's all fine and well to want to bring the best and the biggest play experience, but it's more important to release something, even if it's smaller or whatever. And at this point, the mod won't live up to the hype and all that that's been slowly cooking throughout the years, reached boiling points and then simmered back down to a sort of quiet cynicism which is probably the worst situation for someone who wants to release a mod or a game. Where people can go "I waited all these years for this?!" even if it's the best thing since sliced bread. And while the Rogue Dao name once stood for innovative modders, the people who brought the Planescape universe back into play, the dudes that did all the kick-ass custom content for NWN2 etc. Now it's more like "oh yeah, those guys who to *forever* to finish that mod". So it's not a very good position for an aspiring young development team.

So yep, it's a shame. But as I said, the project definitely isn't dead.

Edited by Starwars

• 2 weeks later...

Two cool projects were released today.

Trinity, which I mentioned before as I was testing it: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2M...tail&id=405

A great little adventure, good interactivity, polished and with some great choices to make.

The SoZ "Holiday" Expansion Project: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2M...tail&id=406

Originally planned for a Christmas release, this is a project started up on the Bioware forums to create new areas to explore in SoZ. I have no idea on how good it is but the screenshots look promising. Apparantly new areas will be added as they're finished.