Christmas Presents

theslug

So I was thinking, I'm a complete failure during all holidays and I have no idea what to get my mom for Christmas once again. I don't want to get another like candles/lotion/all in one craptastic deal at bed, bath and beyond again. I was thinking like a spa treatment or something but I don't have a job and I'm pretty sure they are expensive not to mention Christmas is like 13 days away which is too soon to book anything.

So ideas anyone? Anyone? What are you getting for your family or if you don't have a family what your going to get yourself so when you cry yourself to sleep naked and in the fetal position you have something material to fall back on?

Edit: No glow in the dark cats.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Im getting my gal a new whit gold necklace with a diamond charm. My daughters list is to huge to post but she makes out well. Me, Ill get the usual well-intended-but-really-crap stuff.

Moms shouldnt be too tough. Does she have any interests? (books, movies, gift cert to get her nails done).

Getting? How about wanting? I want The Witcher.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm thinking about buying copies of An Inconvenient Truth for all the people on my list just so I can make the world a bit more aggravating for taks.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I was thinking of buying all the books I want to read next and "giving" them as gifts to be "borrowed" later.

Lessee..., there's some Matheson, a smathering of Pratchett, maybe a Pullum book or two and Hobb, Reynolds as weell and then maybe...

*saunters off mumbling*

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

that would indeed make the world more aggravating for me.

you don't have to spend a lot on a spa, btw. usually massages are a buck a minute. i bought my wife a gift certificate for one a while back and she simply went in and picked out the things she wanted done over the course of a few visits. this year i'm doing things a bit differently than normal. normally, my brothers and i get a nice b-day gift for mom (yes, an xmas baby), but no xmas-only gift. sometimes in the past we would combine efforts and get something bigger, but more recently we all just bought separate gifts. xmas shirts were the norm since my mom is a big xmas fan. she's finally gotten to the point that she keeps saying "i don't need anything" so i'm going the route of "want." she's going to get some good chocolate covered cherries (russell stover), several jars of really good local jelly (from a farm where we get our pumpkins), probably some hot cocoa mix kit (i.e. a mug, the cocoa and some treats) and perhaps a few other items. basically, the types of things she can sit around and indulge upon by herself (since she recently became "by herself") while ignoring the world around her.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I was thinking of buying all the books I want to read next and "giving" them as gifts to be "borrowed" later.

hehe, i told my son that he had to go shopping with me for momma (while she was out shopping for the two of us) and he got a bit bent out of shape being a momma's boy and all that. well, being the negotiator that he is, he ran into his toy room and picked out some motorcycle toy and said "here, i'm going to give this to momma so now i'm done. i want to go with momma." of course, that wouldn't do, and he went with me anyway (after a small battle) but was steadfast on getting her a motorcycle toy - one that he could play with later, of course.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I'm no good at present-giving either ... my family has never been traditional in that sense and hubby and I don't bother gifting each other either, so I never built up a knack for it. I had a friend who was very good at gift-giving because she'd pay attention to the smallest thing you'd say, even in idle passing, and months later she'd show up at your door with something you'd forgotten that you even wanted, until you have one, if that makes sense. :D

But most Moms I know tend to like stuff with personal touches - like old family photos, if you can get your hands on some, in a self-made framed collage or some other kind of inventive arrangement/presentation. Or if she's into tech, one of those digital photo frames perhaps. But I think most digital-frames aren't truly inexpensive.

Other than that, for the less-pricey ranges I have no clue. All depends on your mom's interests.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not giving any any presents, except to myself. Which incidentally also happens to be the only ones I get. I am such an Ebenezer Scrooge! :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm thinking about buying copies of An Inconvenient Truth for all the people on my list just so I can make the world a bit more aggravating for taks.

A noble goal, and no doubt the one Al Gore intended. :)

My friends and family got gifts and/or cards when I was home in October. At Christmas time itself, they'll have to be satisfied with an e-card, although a friend reports that an e-card site has recently been sending random cards in his name to people he doesn't know. This is worrying. :-

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Strangely, Sir Alec Guinness was inspired throughout his career by the same goal.

Sluggo, you should write down the thing your giftees are interested in, then think accordingly. My family like homemade stuff and art more than bought gifts. Have you thought about something like that?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.