The Battlestar Galactica Thread

Gorth

Sorry .. I've just read some Calvin and Hobbs - guess that scambled my brain a bit.. heh

-

But why was Cavil real name John?

Maybe it's more biblical allegory?

John the Baptist (Arabic: يحيى‎ Yaḥy

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The whole monotheism vs polytheism has a frakload of references to classic scenarios.

It's just funny that's it's "upisde down" as in the cylons who worship one God and the humans worship the old Greek Pantheon.

Unless it's kind of a wierd retelling of Christianity, were Christians were secondclass citizens and prosecuted, much like the first cylons - who then later take revenge and perfoms genocide on every other religion in it's vicinity.

As a modern day pagan (wiccan, witch, pagan wizard.. whatever title you want to assign to me) I have been thinking the same thing... funny you bring it up. Xians at first were killed and treated like outcasts for the first century or two until the first xian emperor came to power and made it the state religion and the tables got turned on the pagans.

There certainly are some interesting similarities however like always moore and crew and making a bold statement though out the series. Making the, more or less, 'good guys' poly and the, more or less, bad guys the 'one true god' types. Implying to me hes taking a jab as all the negative and destructive things our mono/xian religion has done to our world and for every good it brings at least 1 ill. The wars and millions upon millions killed in our history over 'god', the suppression of truth, speech and science and so on.

The parallels are indeed stark and telling IMO. This is why moore is the bomb, he writes current moral views into BSG and many folks I don't think even realize it.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

And now it seems clear adama is the 'dying leader' the scrolls talked about not laura.

How so.

On a final note, while I buy the deck chief job as also in charge of damage control as well I find it hard to swallow its his job to repair the ship on this level as they showed this past ep. Wouldn't that go to the chief engineer?

There is nobody qualified left.

Adama has been popping pills a lot this half of the season, and how other crew are mentioning how poorly he looks as of late. (Great acting by eddie as always)

I don't buy that, they have the merged Pegasus and Galactica crews running the ship. Which should, more or less even with losses since new caprica, have a mostly full compliment crew total. You can't tell me theres no one qualified in the combined engineering teams for someone to be a chief engineer. In fact SOMEONE has to be running the engineering dept...

On the topic of new cap, while story wise I understand overruled military logic, I am sure if written properly adama would have taken pegasus to rescue them on new cap, not galactica. As from a pure military standpoint he would have wanted the most firepower to take on the 3 or 4 basestars. If so he wouldn't have this current issue of infrastructure starting to fail as galactica would have been sacrificed not pegasus. However, then it would be odd calling the show battlestar galactica if she ship no longer existed. lol

Who was the head engineer supposed to be, there was the guy brought over from Pegasus who was killed in the mutiny, other than that it was always Tyrol who handled anything repair related. The episode where they were trapped in the airlock, investigating the explosives damage caused by Boomer, even the scene where the damage control team had to kill the workers trapped in the compromised bulkheads in the first episodes.

I guess it's a question of practicality, a tv show can't have a character for every imagined major function on a Battlestar, it would grow the supporting cast too large.

I don't think we ever seen the galactica chief engineer... EVER in 4 years so I am assuming the reason was logic was tossed out in favor of practicality as you said. But I do need to say I never understood why moore never introduced such a vital character of a ship. Think trek without scotty for example. Even if it was just a supporting role pulled out only when needed like capt kelly or racetrack.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Artists use lies to tell the truth. Politicians use lies to cover it up...or something like that.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

And now it seems clear adama is the 'dying leader' the scrolls talked about not laura.

How so.

On a final note, while I buy the deck chief job as also in charge of damage control as well I find it hard to swallow its his job to repair the ship on this level as they showed this past ep. Wouldn't that go to the chief engineer?

There is nobody qualified left.

Adama has been popping pills a lot this half of the season, and how other crew are mentioning how poorly he looks as of late. (Great acting by eddie as always)

I don't buy that, they have the merged Pegasus and Galactica crews running the ship. Which should, more or less even with losses since new caprica, have a mostly full compliment crew total. You can't tell me theres no one qualified in the combined engineering teams for someone to be a chief engineer. In fact SOMEONE has to be running the engineering dept...

On the topic of new cap, while story wise I understand overruled military logic, I am sure if written properly adama would have taken pegasus to rescue them on new cap, not galactica. As from a pure military standpoint he would have wanted the most firepower to take on the 3 or 4 basestars. If so he wouldn't have this current issue of infrastructure starting to fail as galactica would have been sacrificed not pegasus. However, then it would be odd calling the show battlestar galactica if she ship no longer existed. lol

Who was the head engineer supposed to be, there was the guy brought over from Pegasus who was killed in the mutiny, other than that it was always Tyrol who handled anything repair related. The episode where they were trapped in the airlock, investigating the explosives damage caused by Boomer, even the scene where the damage control team had to kill the workers trapped in the compromised bulkheads in the first episodes.

I guess it's a question of practicality, a tv show can't have a character for every imagined major function on a Battlestar, it would grow the supporting cast too large.

I don't think we ever seen the galactica chief engineer... EVER in 4 years so I am assuming the reason was logic was tossed out in favor of practicality as you said. But I do need to say I never understood why moore never introduced such a vital character of a ship. Think trek without scotty for example. Even if it was just a supporting role pulled out only when needed like capt kelly or racetrack.

Hell, Pegasus had a chief engineer.

Well, according to some blog, Moore has said that they are going to leave the Daniel/#7 thing alone until Caprica. Just great.

The whole monotheism vs polytheism has a frakload of references to classic scenarios.

It's just funny that's it's "upisde down" as in the cylons who worship one God and the humans worship the old Greek Pantheon.

Unless it's kind of a wierd retelling of Christianity, were Christians were secondclass citizens and prosecuted, much like the first cylons - who then later take revenge and perfoms genocide on every other religion in it's vicinity.

As a modern day pagan (wiccan, witch, pagan wizard.. whatever title you want to assign to me) I have been thinking the same thing... funny you bring it up. Xians at first were killed and treated like outcasts for the first century or two until the first xian emperor came to power and made it the state religion and the tables got turned on the pagans.

There certainly are some interesting similarities however like always moore and crew and making a bold statement though out the series. Making the, more or less, 'good guys' poly and the, more or less, bad guys the 'one true god' types. Implying to me hes taking a jab as all the negative and destructive things our mono/xian religion has done to our world and for every good it brings at least 1 ill. The wars and millions upon millions killed in our history over 'god', the suppression of truth, speech and science and so on.

The parallels are indeed stark and telling IMO. This is why moore is the bomb, he writes current moral views into BSG and many folks I don't think even realize it.

As you imply it's not like the polys are that good either.. But it's interesting the parallels he draws, I keep think about the Old Testament and the Exodus - the nebula that kills the Cylons serving the same purpose as Moses dividing the Red Sea so they could pass.

And Cavil playing the role of Kain.

There are more, but I can't wrap my head around them at this time.

Another thing is that the Humans names and callsigns are mostly Greek and the Cylons are mostly Hebrew/Latin/Christian.. Like John, Daniel, Samuel, Simon, Sharon and Aaron.. With notible exceptions being Leoban, D'anna and most of the Final Five.

Fortune favors the bald.

Maybe D'anna was a lesbian apostle found only in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Or something. :rolleyes:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

As you imply it's not like the polys are that good either.. But it's interesting the parallels he draws, I keep think about the Old Testament and the Exodus - the nebula that kills the Cylons serving the same purpose as Moses dividing the Red Sea so they could pass.

And Cavil playing the role of Kain.

There are more, but I can't wrap my head around them at this time.

Another thing is that the Humans names and callsigns are mostly Greek and the Cylons are mostly Hebrew/Latin/Christian.. Like John, Daniel, Samuel, Simon, Sharon and Aaron.. With notible exceptions being Leoban, D'anna and most of the Final Five.

hhmmm that's a excellent point I never noticed before about the names. Do you think moore had all these details and allegories figured out at the start or do you think hes been improving as the scripts for this season (and others) progressed?

While I was not a huge B5 fan (I like it just not a uber fan; casual fan you could say) I have a lot of respect for the writer. He had the entire core plot all written, figured out from the start and simply spoon feed the audience bits as the seasons progressed until the main story finished. Think moore took a similar route?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

hhmmm that's a excellent point I never noticed before about the names. Do you think moore had all these details and allegories figured out at the start or do you think hes been improving as the scripts for this season (and others) progressed?

While I was not a huge B5 fan (I like it just not a uber fan; casual fan you could say) I have a lot of respect for the writer. He had the entire core plot all written, figured out from the start and simply spoon feed the audience bits as the seasons progressed until the main story finished. Think moore took a similar route?

I think he has the overall story made - as well as the main themes (like Polyhteism vs Monotheism), with that in place I'm also sure he's making things up as he go along.. And I'm glad they (Moore and the writers) are, because I think the writing is getting more interesting. In the beginning, the story would drag it's feet when it was trying to make a serious point - now it throws them around, sometimes without regards to the overall story (like Daniel).. Which is nice, because it leaves us something to discuss and think about.

Fortune favors the bald.

I think he has the overall story made - as well as the main themes (like Polyhteism vs Monotheism), with that in place I'm also sure he's making things up as he go along.. And I'm glad they (Moore and the writers) are, because I think the writing is getting more interesting. In the beginning, the story would drag it's feet when it was trying to make a serious point - now it throws them around, sometimes without regards to the overall story (like Daniel).. Which is nice, because it leaves us something to discuss and think about.

I saw he wrote a 'galactica bible' for all writers to follow so they can be consistent in their stories. I would LOVE for him to release it at the end of the series, I would very much enjoy reading in and getting the behind the scenes views of all the various aspects of the mythos.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

No discussion of the last episode?

Kind of heavy on the soap opera drama, but it's almost poetic justice that

CAPRICA Six loses her baby when she killed that baby on Caprica at the beginning of the series.

Edited by Arkan

Some of the characters are really suffering under the weight of all this pent up plot that's landing everywhere all of a sudden.

Adama arming Gaius' harem, Saul Tigh, Tyrol wanting to fix the Gallactica, and then run away at the next moment.

It's made all the worse by the audience not having any idea what motivates the 'final five', the actors haven't got anywhere familiar to ground their characters.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Why the hell did Adama give guns to Gaius Baltar? That can only lead to trouble.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

^ I was really wondering about that too.. no way did that seem believable.

I thought they were going in an interesting direction, which they did explore a little in this episode, with the human/cylon integration .. Humans and Cylons having to accept that they somewhat need each other to survive...

But Gorgon has a point, it really does feel like the actors of the final five seems to lack grounding for their characters..

Fortune favors the bald.

I was surprised that Ellen turned into a complete c again. Seriously I hated her when she was a shallow stupid manipulative whore and that hasn't changed. Horrible character and I also wasn't digging the whole parents and family deal where the "children" werel ike omg daddy and mommy stop fighting :'( and did anyone else notice when cara was in the bar and shes like "when did you get the piano" and the guy is like "derp?" like there wasn't actually a piano in existence there and then tyrol comes in and i don't remember what he said but it wasnt really important but the point is cara is obviously not a cylon but instead a psychotic b. the end

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

^ I was really wondering about that too.. no way did that seem believable.

It's obviously an ill disguised mechanism to allow Gaius to be a major player again with his cadre of killer concubines. I didn't believe it though, even despite clearly showing Adama's fear of everything Cylon.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I was surprised that Ellen turned into a complete c again. Seriously I hated her when she was a shallow stupid manipulative whore and that hasn't changed. Horrible character and I also wasn't digging the whole parents and family deal where the "children" werel ike omg daddy and mommy stop fighting :'( and did anyone else notice when cara was in the bar and shes like "when did you get the piano" and the guy is like "derp?" like there wasn't actually a piano in existence there and then tyrol comes in and i don't remember what he said but it wasnt really important but the point is cara is obviously not a cylon but instead a psychotic b. the end

If you listen to moores podcasts about the eps he explains some of what is being complained about here. As for ellen as he explains shes still at the core the same character just with all her full memories. So as he explains don't expect her to be a fundamentally different char. More intelligent and slight altered in her reactions because of that, yes. Totally different no.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

No discussion of the last episode?

Kind of heavy on the soap opera drama, but it's almost poetic justice that CAPRICA Six loses her baby when she killed that baby on Caprica at the beginning of the series.

And how baltar goes from helping (indirectly) to destroy the colonies to finally starting to over come his weaknesses and seeming wanting to really do some good. Its like they are all coming full circle to a degree from where they started.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Not really relevant, but it's funny how positive this thread is over all, compared to the BSG forums on the sci fi channel.

Man, are they hammering the show over there. Have been for the last couple years, really.

The concensus on the BSG forums is that Moore and the writers are making it all up as they go along and have no real idea what they are doing.

The word retcon comes up more there than any place I've ever seen.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Does the chief feel like a total tool now or what? Damn, boomer played him like the piano at joe's...

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

- Doreen Valiente

This episode was more of a filler than anything else, there were a few key events like boomer stealing hera and Starbucks dad probably being a cylon of some kind, but they didnt have to drag it out for a whole episode.

AND WHERE WAS GAIUS BALTAR, YOU MOTHERFRAKKERS?!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If Boomer could find the fleet without a problem that must mean Cabal knew where it was all along. So, why didn't he do something sooner.

Also, the spatial distortion caused by the jump... One wonders why they haven't been using that as a weapon if it can blow huge holes in the sides of ships.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.