E6850, E6750 or Q6600

Meshugger

Yeah, it got this month's paycheck and it is time to spend on something that really matters: Intel Processors!

First, let's go through the price range:

- Q6600 and E6850 are equal in price (240

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh, and about the front side bus issue: The E6750 and E6850 are at 1333Mhz, while the Q6600 chuggs along at 1066Mhz. While my Abit AB9-Pro supports 1333Mhz through a BIOS-update, my regular, and non-overclockable 4GB of memory-sticks are stuck at 533Mhz (=1066Mhz effectively?). What to do...?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Here in Portugal, it's possible to get a E6750 for less than 170

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You do realize that Intel are releasing their Penryn processors this November, right..? There will be models from that family that has four cores AND 1333MHz FSB combined. I'd wait for those (and the Phenom from AMD) before purchasing a new CPU.

Apparently there are already some reviews out:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...doc.aspx?i=3137

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And go for a quad-core, you need the power, you want the power.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You do realize that Intel are releasing their Penryn processors this November, right..? There will be models from that family that has four cores AND 1333MHz FSB combined. I'd wait for those (and the Phenom from AMD) before purchasing a new CPU.

Apparently there are already some reviews out:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...doc.aspx?i=3137

They will be released at an estimated price pf 999 euro, no thank you :sad:

Quad-Core seems to be better for a longterm choice though.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

....and a Quad-Core was purchased. Thanks for the input everyone :yes:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558...2129TX1K0000532

Apparently not even Crysis benefits from having four cores. I'm beginning to wonder if these multi-core CPU's aren't just a big scam to inflate prices..

^What Bokishi said.

From what i've heard, Crysis and UT3 should have support for atleast for 3 (1 for A.I., 1 for draw-distance and so on) cores in their respective final releases.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I just upgraded and went with the E6750. Very few games support quad-cores, and the fsb speeds were more important to me, as I had much faster ram. It was also nice to keep costs down so I can afford a dx10.1 card when they come out.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Im still fantasizing about a Dual Xeon quad setup... 8 cores.... *drools* up to 300% in mental ray :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I just upgraded and went with the E6750. Very few games support quad-cores, and the fsb speeds were more important to me, as I had much faster ram. It was also nice to keep costs down so I can afford a dx10.1 card when they come out.

I am not aware of any DDR2 RAM that goes above some 1200 MHz though, so unless you spent a fortune on getting a DDR3 compliant motherboard and RAM, those extra MHz are kind of wasted. I've got a Q6600 and some 1066 MHz DDR2 ram, but with my Abit motherboard it's easy to overclock it to 1120 MHz and probably more if I tweak it more seriously.

Still.. I have not seen ANY use for four cores yet. Feels like a waste so far. The only thing I notice is that my CPU temperature is a constant 15-20 degrees Celsius above my old E6600 @3200 MHz even though it's clocked lower.

Still.. I have not seen ANY use for four cores yet. Feels like a waste so far.

That's because you dont do any heavy crunching tasks. wuss.