Dawn of War: Soulstorm announced

Musopticon?

http://news.filefront.com/wh40k-dawn-of-wa...torm-announced/

Dawn of War® - Soulstorm, the next standalone chapter in internal studio Relic Entertainment

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

2nd new race is probably going to be Tyranids. I can't see any justification behind them adding a fourth human army and Dark Crusade is filled with Tyranid references.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Where exactly is there Tyranid references in Dark Crusade?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

-In the description for the Hellfire Canyon map, it is stated that every known power in the galaxy has attempted to take the area, except for the Tyranids, but "time will soon remedy this exception."

wikipedia.org

That's one and I can swear there were others, but don't recall them off the top of my head. Maybe it's just that one, which would make my comment of "filled" an exaggeration.

I've played as every other race except Ork and SM(well, not a lot) and that's also the only reference I could find. There was something about Macragge and something about Tau and Tyranids, but that's about it.

I mean, this is kind of like the old Juuzhan Vong argument for K3 "because Canderous told so".

But yeah, I wish it was the 'Nids, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's Daemonhunters, since there's another Chaos race to fight against in Soulstorm, we got Grey Knights in Dark Crusade and Inquisitors in vanilla-DoW and of course there's the comment made by Relic, that they wouldn't be able to do justice to Tyranids with this engine.

kirottu said:

there's the comment made by Relic, that they wouldn't be able to do justice to Tyranids with this engine.

I did some searching around and apparently they have made such a comment. So, I guess there is good reason for them to include yet another human army, because aside from Tyranids, that's all that is left.

Edited by Tale

Isn't this the last licence they have left to license a WH40K game?(5 games they are allowed to make I think, 4 DoW games and one WH40K MOO game)

If that is so... Its disappointing.

No. Not at all. They have a license agreement through 2013.

Yeah, Relic has said on several previous occasions that they're never going to put Tyranids in Dawn of War.

This suprises me though, considering what a Swan Song Dark crusade was, I thought they'd be working on Dawn of War 2 by now as suggested by the FMV at the end of the SP campain. It looks like said FMV was actually talking about this new addon though. Disapointing.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Looks like people are placing bets on it being the Sisters of Battle. albeit the sisters get a lot of their units from the IG and Marines. Were I relic I'd instead add the Inquisition or the church as a faction.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Somebody suggested adding Inquisition units to IG, so that they'd get some needed antidaemon gear. It would be kind of natural as well.

I don't think I want Adepta Sororitas in the game, they are ridiculous enough already.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I doubt it'll be Inquisition. There are Inquisition units with the Space Marines already, would seem redundant. The wiki entry claims that some fans think it could be the Emperor's personal bodyguards.

I don't even know what "Emperor's personal bodyguards" are. I think they'll probably go with what's most logical for the plot and popular among fans.

Heh, I wish it was Adeptus Mechanicus, but that would be kinda far-fetched.

kirottu said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeptus_Custodes

I would doubt Mechanicus too. It doesn't fit in with "Soulstorm" and reading the wiki, it seems difficult to justify in general. Would seem better as something to use as units for IG and SM (IG already has tech priests, anyway). Though it would be interesting!

Edited by Tale

Custodes are not likely to be included, as a race I mean. They don't even have a unit roster as it is. Also, this is about the second time even heard of them, not to mention ever seeing models.

kirottu said:

Yeah, looking at wiki it seems Lost and Damned and the With Hunters are the most likely candidates.

However, this is assuming there's not a lot of Lost and Damned included in the existing Chaos Marines (I don't know).

Well, of course the Cultists and the Aspiring Champions are featured in The Lost and The Damned, but tLatD is usually taken to mean traitor guardsmen and mutants. There are actually several organized chaos armies that don't have any of the Traitor marines in their corps. Look for "Blood Pact" for instance.

I doubt it will be the Blood Pact, since it's a book license and army lists are considered unorthodox by GW, but some form of tLatD is not out of the picture. A unified Inquisition, meaning both Daemonhunter and Witchunter units, is more likely though. Would go well with Epic's notions of making the races fun instead of by-the-book(Word Bearers shouldn't be able to field Berzerkers or Raptors, IG are only Cadians, etc).

Edit: Of course, Epic can say whatever they want and still add Tyranids. Sure, they're gonna be big in DoW 2, supposedly, but that won't stop them from being featured.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Considering how popular chaos is I was thinking they should've divided the four Ruinous Powers. Call me old fashioned but I get annoyed seeing khorne berserkers deployed by the Emperor's Children. Or sorcerors deployed by the World Eaters.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just hope we get to learn about the origin of the Blood Ravens SOON. It is suspected that they're a split from a traitor legion.

Considering how popular chaos is I was thinking they should've divided the four Ruinous Powers. Call me old fashioned but I get annoyed seeing khorne berserkers deployed by the Emperor's Children. Or sorcerors deployed by the World Eaters.

Can't the Undivided do this?

Edited by Tale

Some can, but the most organised Undivided, the Word Bearers don't usually deal with the fringe cults, since they view Chaos as a religion, it's like an organised religion dealing with cultists, heh. The second most organised Undivided one that abhors cults is Iron Warriors, but that's because of their battle doctrine. Alpha Legion and indeed especially Black Legion are complete opposite, usually taking advantage of every aspect of Chaos available.

Some Traitor legions are so close-knit in battle practice, such as Thousand Sons, that they don't either need or want cults, or even be able to use them. Not to mention, Emperor's Children, World Eaters, etc don't have an organised structure anymore but have formed bands of raiders and work as mercenaries of sort. Epi...Relic completely left this aspect out. Though, I'd imagine it had been sort of hard to implement in pre-Dark Crusade DoW and now they can't do an upheaval anymore.

kirottu said:

If it was 'realism' over fun and balance then chaos would have access to Dreadnaughts and Land Raiders as it were.

My guess is (based on Company of Heroes) that Dawn of War 2 is going to be a vastly different game, possibly incorporating the army sets that you guys are going on about in a similar way as divisions are used in CoH.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I hope so, I'd be happy to see the game more tactical. The Warcraft-like pace and model of action in vanilla DoW was perfect for Space Marine purgeworks, because they don't generally use a lot of strategy, but some of the more entrenched forces, like Tau and IG absolutely need a more strategic bend to survive, so the aspects CoH presented(actual battlements, entrapment, motts, etc) are apreciated. Really, to be honest, right now, it's mostly Tier 2 spamming and most games end in a legion of Howling Banshees/Raptors/Hellhounds.

That said, some of the Imperial Guard forces are ridiculously awesome. And pitting them against Tyranids...sublime. Should they go for a more Ground Control-alike perspective, DoW 2'd be godly.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I just hope that they keep it at the scale they are at or go bigger (SupCom scale). Those feel like they do more justice to Warhammer 40k than the tactical fighting of COH.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't know about this business with the Undivided. What I do know is that Slaanesh and Khorne don't get on on an absolutely fundamental better than atomic level. Likewise Nurge and Tzeentch. Chaos undivided might be some approach focussing on the pure anti-order/life components, but... I dunno. I have to say I always wondred who invented the canon on thsi subject. It's quite terrifying.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.