What should I play next?

Tale

Tale, I can sell you it for like $10. I have two copies.

Please PM me with payment options.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

He said 10$, but he actually wants your lovin'. :o

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If you haven't tried System Shock 2, then i can presume that haven't tried Deus Ex as well. Anyone on this forum can recommend Deus Ex as much as System Shock 2 :ermm:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I find myself browsing my Amazon.com recommendation and wishlist a lot lately. So, I think I should find a new game to buy. And by new game, I mean old game. So, I come here to find a recommendation from you guys, hoping you'll recommend me something I may have missed or forgotten.

Things I'm considering:

System Shock 2, but $50 for a used copy with just a sleeve sounds a bit steep.

Arcanum, same as System Shock 2

Fallout 2, but I'm wary. I do massively prefer Baldur's Gate II to Fallout I if that helps shed light on my RP preferences. I think it's more a preference for interactions and story than for the mechanics in RPGs.

Katamari Damacy, but maybe it's just too wacky. Could it's popularity be gimmick based? Or is there something solid there.

Speak of your favorite games of past years. Say what you liked about them. I'm not going to bother mentioning more of what I've already played because I want this to be useful to others besides just me.

Fallout 2 is the most bang for your buck from that list. If you haven't played Bloodlines you should add it to the list.

Care to give any details about the games? What you particularly enjoy about them?

I've looked at reviews for many of them, but a lot the reviews themselves are dated or overly generic.

Edit: Also, I hate you Krookie.

Edited by Tale

JA2 takes place in a war torn country where an bitchy dictator rules with an iron fist. You can send her flowers if you'd like. You are in control of a small mercenary company, and you capture towns and mines as you slowly take over the country. As you take over towns, you can also train troops to guard them and in the new version, they even go out patrolling. It's open ended, so you can go after whatever territory you want, in fact you can even make a beeline straight for the capital (although that's not very easy without cheating to get great mercs.) As your mercs fight, they increase their skills, meaning the mediocre ones can be very effective by the end of the game.

The setting works, but it's the characters that really bring JA2 to life. The mercenaries all have very unique personalities, many bordering on psychotic. They are extremely entertaining.

The combat is some of the best turn based combat out there. It's similiar to Xcom or Silent Storm, although I'd argue it's still better than either. The weapons and equipment are extremely detailed and it really feels like they accurately depict the variety of ammo and weaponry in a modern warzone. Equipment is a big concern, and it's common for my mercs to have an aussault rifle or two, a couple grenades, a backup sidearm, and even a knife or two.

Time to hunt Amazon for JA2, then! Thanks. I'm especially interested because of what you say about the personalities of the mercs.

My Amazon.com cart has Katamari Damacy and Jagged Alliance 2.

Haven't gone through with purchasing, yet. Undecided on Katamari.

Edited by Tale

I probably would have purchased JA2 over Steam, but I've heard nothing but bugs about that version. Missing content for some reason.

Some of the Mercs (A) hate each other (B) develop mutual fan clubs (B) something inbetween.

Vultures eat corpses, mercs barf, you can marry female mercs off to hillbillies, you can commandeer an ice cream truck, buy guns in an adult movie store, get involved in prize-fighting, use mortars, make hundred yard headshots, sit on a rooftop with a Barratt light fifty, make things using springs, duct tape and stuff in an open-ended game world that feels like an agreeably schlocky straight-to-video Steven Seagal movie.

Any game that has a "Tons of Guns" option at the startup screen has got to be a winner.

Never played a game like it before or since, love it to bits.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yeah, I'd avoid JA2 over steam for those very reasons. Don't forget to apply the 1.13 mod, as it lets you change the resolution to much higher settings and generally improves the game. It doesn't affect the story, just adds options.

Also, don't hesitate to recruit mercs with low skills in the early game. Guys like Razor and Haywire are psycho, but they build their skills quickly and can easily become lethal soldiers. It's the wisdom score that actually really matters, as that determines how quickly they build a skill. You really only need one or two accurate people in the beginning of the game, the rest will develop over time.

JA2, Katamari Damacy, and I threw in Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past for GBA are all on their way. All new copies, too. ^_^

actually I would suggest playing the game first without the 1.13 mod since the mod makes sweeping changes to the game, many of which were wanted by people who have been playing Jag 2 for years and consequently make the game significantly harder.

And I will say this: Infinity ENgine combat this ain't; combat is HARD when you are first learning the game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Beyond Good and Evil is good, I have it on my to replay list. I played the demo for Psychonauts over Steam when it first was available through that means, but I had trouble getting into it. It seemed a bit too much platformer for my taste at the time.

Why I would not recommend playing with 1.13:

WIthout playing the original game, you would never how totally out of balance insanely difficult the game is in these screenies. This is stuff that was put in for people who know Jag 2 inside and out. Unless you have an incredible tolerance for frustration, I think it would totally ruin your game experience. Play Jag 2 gold patched to 1.12 first. If it goes well and you really like it, then consider adding the 1.13 addition.

post-378-1188592720_thumb.jpg

post-378-1188592725_thumb.jpg

post-378-1188592730_thumb.jpg

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hmm, is 1.13 really that difficult if you play on the easy setting? I think I played it on medium recently and I don't remember being too overwhelmed, but I have been playing it for years, so I guess I'm a lousy judge.

My only concern is that the resolution will turn Tale off from the game. It shows its age without 1.13.

You may have me confused with Bok.

Hmm, is 1.13 really that difficult if you play on the easy setting? I think I played it on medium recently and I don't remember being too overwhelmed, but I have been playing it for years, so I guess I'm a lousy judge.

My only concern is that the resolution will turn Tale off from the game. It shows its age without 1.13.

erhm, no. I'm playing on expert. But still, stuff like the Drassen counterattack is there regardless. Tru you can turn it off in the jag2options.ini, but again, I think having somebody new to the game have to go through an ini file making changes

is not conducive to a fun gaming experience.

And vanilla Jag 2 is a fantastic game. the 1.13 mod just makes it harder and more complictated for those who have played the venilla Jag 2 to death.

• 1 month later...

My ten favourite games in no order:

System Shock 2

Half-Life 1 and Opposing Forces

Fallout 1

Fallout 2

Planescape: Torment

Icewind Dale 1

VtM: Bloodlines

Deus Ex 1

Giants: Citizen Kabuto - this is a game I recommend to EVERYBODY... it's so unique

KoTOR 1

Other stuff:

Deus Ex 2 should never have been made.

Icewind Dale 2 is a decent dungeon romp but isn't as awesome as IWD1.

KOTOR 2 is a decent RPG. It is also unfinished, IMHO.

Half-Life 2 is one of the best pure FPS games ever, but I don't think it was anything special when compared with HL1.

Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2 are veru fun 2D side-scrollers if you're up for a bit of adrenaline.

Age of Empires 1 and 2 (not 3) are awesome RTS games.

Worms 2 is great fun to play with a few friends, optionally while drunk.

Dungeon Siege 1 is a beautiful game, if somewhat boring.

Dungeon Siege 2 is a big improvement, being playable exactly once, but being great fun that one time.

Nox and Revenant are two old RPGs which are kind of interesting. Worth playing if you can find them.

Of all the games so far, the one I must recommend the most is Giants: Citizen Kabuto. A stunning game... I couldn't really pinpoint it to one genre, though.