Deus Ex: Invisible War

Zero

I just played Invisible War...long time coming- yeah. But I got it for $3.99 which is quite a deal- used but everything worked and it had the manual.

Anyway I was wondering for those who have played it and I'm guessing paid attention to its development. Was there a lot of internal strife that caused the game to not be quite up to standards? I read a glib about it on Wikipedia but it didn't have any links or any actual information (really)- just vague wording.

I enjoyed the game, especially since I didn't play through the entire original Deus Ex (I was too young to fully appreciate it at the time). So I didn't have high expectations. It was fun, and the setting was interesting. Although all the characters were pretty 2 dimensional, I found a few interesting moments (its funny that I think the most honest interactions in the game were with Holograms).

Anyway was wondering if anyone can fill me in on the details of any problems the development had? I'm curious because the endings seem either rushed or like an insult - all have a creepy undercurrent. Not to mentions parts of the game didn't seem like they reached their potential (npc interaction, especially amongst the Tarsus alumni).

I recently replayed it, have played through the original as well, loved it and got none of this feeling you're saying. How do the endings seem rushed? I thought they all seemed relatively better than those in the original Deus Ex.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I thought there were quite a few questionable design decisions, some really bad gameplay elements, and a rushed implementation of a broken engine. I still enjoyed it to some degree, played it twice, but doesn't hold a freaking candle to the first DX.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

They should call it Deus Ex: Invisible Bore. Lolz.

I see what you did there.

it was rushed though I thought that they should have had more of a place for the pop star after all the interactions (good ones too) with her holo, instead she's just a brat.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I recently replayed it, have played through the original as well, loved it and got none of this feeling you're saying. How do the endings seem rushed? I thought they all seemed relatively better than those in the original Deus Ex.

I didn't play through Deus Ex, so I couldn't compare o:) I'll say what I thought about the endings..

Their length is one reason ( http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search ) they range from a minute and 7 secconds to a minute and 31 seconds. So they aren't that long.

Another reason is they don't follow up on any of the allies you had (if any). Say Leo. And they all have creepy undercurrents- I won't spoil it. But in one way or another humanity is basically screwed, or is that the basic feeling Deus Ex goes for? That whatever you do, whoever you side with, you're screwed? (in one way or another)

The Apostlecorp ending could be optimistic , I guess. Illuminati maybe also... depends on your views.

Edit: I'm guessing the fact that they couldn't render the endings in-engine(as they can now a days) limited their length(budget and all). And also the fact that you could basically kill anyone you wanted at almost any time, probably kept them from following up on relationships.

Edited by Zero

Their length is one reason ( http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search ) they range from a minute and 7 secconds to a minute and 31 seconds. So they aren't that long.

Another reason is they don't follow up on any of the allies you had (if any). Say Leo. And they all have creepy undercurrents- I won't spoil it. But in one way or another humanity is basically screwed, or is that the basic feeling Deus Ex goes for? That whatever you do, whoever you side with, you're screwed? (in one way or another)

I'm not sure I'd say "screwed", merely uncertain. None of the DX endings were peachy keen, they were all short and didn't follow up on any of your allies. So the DX:IW endings are the same kind of endings as the original.

I'm guessing the fact that they couldn't render the endings in-engine(as they can now a days) limited their length(budget and all).

I imagine prerendered endings are more costly than in-engine ones, but who knows. They originally created fmv endings (and intro) for DX, but held off on using them until the PS2 version. I can't remember the reasons for that.

One of the things about DX:IW that turned me off is that they started the game as if the canon ending to DX was the Dark Age ending, but as the game went on and you finally got to the end it became apparent that both the Helios and Dark Age endings had taken place, which was confusing and stupid.

Plus, the most useful weapon in the game was the pistol, not in a reasonable MGS kind of way, but as a result of the boneheaded ammo scheme.

I thought the ammo scheme was good. I could just pick the weapon I wanted and didn't have to worry about if the next guy would drop any of what I needed or not.

Edited by Tale

It wouldn't have been a problem had they maybe lifted the ammo limit above 100 or whatever it was. I found that more than anything I was choosing my weapons based on the amount of ammo they used, the less the better, and since all weapons used the same ammo I had to micromanage which weapons I was using, since a shotgun blast cost me three pistol bullets, and an RPG cost me twenty-five or whatever. It didn't make sense to have anything more advanced than, say, a silenced EMP black market pistol. It wasn't that it was an awesome weapon, it was that you'd go through a level with your shotgun or Sniper Rifle or RPG and at the end of it you didn't have enough ammo to continue. The nice thing about differentiated ammo types - if you ran out of one type, you had another. In DX:IW, you ran out of ammo and you reloaded the game or used whatever paltry melee weapons you had to slowly rebuild your reserves. At least with the pistol you weren't constantly leaking ammo.

One of the things about DX:IW that turned me off is that they started the game as if the canon ending to DX was the Dark Age ending, but as the game went on and you finally got to the end it became apparent that both the Helios and Dark Age endings had taken place, which was confusing and stupid.

Actually. all the endings were used. JC merges with Helios, Area 51 is destroyed and control is handed over to the Illumnati.

As for unfinished stuff in IW, I thought that it semed stuff must have been cut out in the lead up to the Illuminati ending. the space station thing (Ophelia) was just kind of dumped on us.

I came under the impression that Ophelia was Nicollete. Seemed kind of sudden, but not without some clues.

I guess that leaves the question of what ending Deus Ex 3 will use, that is if Eidos is still making it.

[guess] It will be a very little connection to the previous ones, probably set 100 years after the events of DX2. But anyhoo, Warren Spector is not involved, so it will probably be sucky in any case. [/guess]

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Which do you prefer?

Sucky or...

SAKI!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I played DE:IW before Deus Ex, which, I think, was a good idea. That way I enjoyed both titles. Had I played Deus Ex first, I would probably have hated Invisible War.

I never thought DE:IW was a GREAT game, but it was ok. Though, after playing the first one, the sequel definately feels shallow and small.

Anyway, as I said, I got to enjoy two games, rather than enjoying one and then getting a huge dissapointment.

I came under the impression that Ophelia was Nicollete. Seemed kind of sudden, but not without some clues.

Ophelia was supposed to be an AI, like Daedalus.

Daedalus is from the first game, I take it? So Ophelia wasn't codename for that space-station where all those creepy red goggled eye guys were monitoring everyone ? I guess I should play the first game.

That one ending was the only one where I thought Ion Storm might have been giving a mystery to be solved in the third game- had they not closed their doors.

I cam under the impression that the Illuminati wanted to steal the Denton's technology so they could use it. IE, merge one of the Illuminati leaders with an AI. The Illuminati ending confirmed this for me because you see a physical person when they mention "Ophelia." Hence why I presumed it was Nicollete and not simply an AI by itself.

Are you talking about that person reflected in the glass? Or someone else? I may need to re-watch that ending...

Yes.

I cam under the impression that the Illuminati wanted to steal the Denton's technology so they could use it. IE, merge one of the Illuminati leaders with an AI. The Illuminati ending confirmed this for me because you see a physical person when they mention "Ophelia." Hence why I presumed it was Nicollete and not simply an AI by itself.

I just watched the ending on youtube and I have to agree. Of course now I'm just gonna have to play through the whole thing again.