Baldurs Gate 2

I don't think it's either, in terms of stats. IE games specifically point out how gender is only an "aesthetic preference" and I'm pretty sure FO doesn't differentiate.

Tutu looks better at 1024x768. :huh:

Gender made a minor difference prior to AD&D 2nd Ed, as was demonstrated in SSI's Gold Box series. For example, female humans could only have up to 18(50) strength, versus 18(100) for males. I miss some of the function of the older editions, such as Sweep, which allowed low level fighters to attack as many small creatures in melee as the fighter had levels. So a level 8 fighter could sweep up to 8 kobolds in a single attack, and might kill them all if he managed to hit each for enough damage. It was a great skill versus cannon fodder hordes. Of course, 3E brought it back in the form of Great Cleave (Cleave is only as good as a level 2 sweep).

I've no interest in "alternate lifestyle" NPCs. I get enough of that crap in the real world, and I don't want to pollute Faerun with it. Otherwise I may as well quit computer CRPGs and wander around malls all day.

That's the res. I use, any higher and things are too small - God, I can't go back to 640 now. Well, I can stand it for FO and PST, but still.

My female stalker hasn't got past Friendly Arms yet... actually, I often get really, really discouraged by BG1 until I get to Nashkel or Beregost. I hate Candlekeep (installed the skipper), the stupid stupid gibberlings whom you have to run from, and I don't know, Friendly Arm Inn is just silly. Find-me-a-ring and all that other stuff is only fun if you're tripping over yourself in pnp. I think I enjoy myself the most between immediately after the Nashkel mines, and up to return to Candlekeep... mid-game.

Edited by Tigranes

There are some secrets, such as a hidden ring of wizardry in the grounds south of the keep at Friendly Arm. I missed it both times I played through the original game, then I saw it mentioned in the walkthrough at dudleyville.com. In Tutu you can use TAB to reveal everything, so keep your eyes open.

The game does have something of a slower pace, with lots of wandering around. Bioware mentioned this in the opening words of BG2's manual as the reason for making BG2's areas more useful. I've completed BG2 many times, but BG1 only twice. It just doesn't provide the same sense of urgency as BG2.

i've completed BG1 probably 8-10 times and BG2 nearly 20. ToB only a few, however, as i always lose interest towards the very end.

I've no interest in "alternate lifestyle" NPCs. I get enough of that crap in the real world, and I don't want to pollute Faerun with it. Otherwise I may as well quit computer CRPGs and wander around malls all day.

i agree. in fact, most aspects that delve into sexuality, whether "alternative" or "normal," i'd prefer be left out of crpgs. the real-world versions of these things are much more satisfying. running around slaying high-powered magic users, or solving ancient puzzles buried in some dungeon, however, is not possible in the real-world. hence the "fantasy" aspect. i was not a fan of the romance options in BG2. it felt forced. i almost had to be mean to spurn their advances, which was counter to my typical character. i am unable to detach myself from the real-world enough to feel any bond with a few pixels on the screen and pre-written text.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

My approach to romances in games, particularly IE games, has always been of achievement rather than some kind of bond to the character. I get annoyed if I can not solve the "puzzle" of some romancing character's personality.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

... Besides Dark Raven? :mellow:

Now I'm thinking of making a "beautiful and bitter" NPC named Gabrielle. :brows: Perhaps an assassin, or maybe a necromancer. If I went the necro route I'd probably have to add to the game's rather weak repertoire of necro spells.

I installed the BG1 NPC Banter pack (for tutu) and haven't noticed any improvement. In fact! They might actually be talking less now.

I remember in my first attempted playthrough of the game, right out of the Friendly Arm Xzar and Jaheira decided they wanted to kill each other. Haven't seen that in some time.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's the res. I use, any higher and things are too small - God, I can't go back to 640 now. Well, I can stand it for FO and PST, but still.

In PS:T's case, you can edit the torment.ini file and play the game in windowed mode. The mouse control takes a bit of getting used to, but the game looks great. I haven't got it installed at the moment, but I believe you just have to change "Fullscreen=1" to "Fullscreen=0" ...something like that.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Taught me everything I know about business. Any time I'm in a client's office I begin stuffing everything I can into a large rucksack in case it is needed later so as to save me going back for it. It's also fair to say that i never ever pass up the opportunity to kill kobolds for cheap XP.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Being that BG2 is long and fraught with several games worth of replay value (whereas NWN2 only lasted about 2 playthroughs before running dry :blink: ) it's probably my favorite game of all time, slightly above Fallout 2.

Also, I listen to a lot of music while I play my games, and BG2 might just stand out in my mind because I've played so much of it and thus so much music is associated with it in my mind.

I installed the BG1 NPC Banter pack (for tutu) and haven't noticed any improvement. In fact! They might actually be talking less now.

I remember in my first attempted playthrough of the game, right out of the Friendly Arm Xzar and Jaheira decided they wanted to kill each other. Haven't seen that in some time.

is this with new games, or games that were already in progress? IIRC, existing saves are usually not affected by pack installs.

taks

is this with new games, or games that were already in progress? IIRC, existing saves are usually not affected by pack installs.

taks

New, but they claim it works with current games anyway.

i've always found that add-ons that claim to work with existing saves seem to screw up other things. you might then have a conflict between two add-ons. some just aren't compatible, or require installation in a certain order, and they end up overwriting each other.

taks

I have two add-ons. tutu and the BG1 NPC Banter pack that is made for tutu (but supposedly works with BGT, as well).

Maybe I just haven't been playing enough.

Edited by Tale

tutu = hit and miss. could be that you're not playing enough, could be an issue with tutu, could be something completely unrelated. i played tutu a few times and had enough problems with it that i stopped.

the one i was looking forward to was icewindgate, but due to a lack of time and resources, weimer could not complete it.

i'm starting to miss BG again... ;)

taks

I'm not replaying BG until I can think of another character who will be as interesting as Silence.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm not replaying BG until I can think of another character who will be as interesting as Silence.

How about an ADHD Wild Mage?

I have both Minsc and Edwin in my party and am heading for the Gnoll Fortress. Only thing I remember was Minsc wanting to go the Gnoll fortress and Edwin wanted to meet some lady for some reason or another. I don't really know what's going on so I can't be blamed for what happens.

Yeah, one can't be expected to remember everything when bigger things like godhood and booty are concerned.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds