Best Game Graphics

No, it's pretty much a mess of a game.

Rule #1 of game storytelling - If you're going to break your plot up over three games, make damn sure you can release all of them. It's like if they released Dead Man's Chest and cancelled At World's End.

Edited by Pop

The series isn't cancelled, its just on hold for now. In fact recently a game came out called Virtua Fighter 5, pretty big fighting game series from the same team in Sega of Japan with a hint to Shenmue being finished. One of the Pai characters in Quest mode is named "Shen Fa" with the tagline: "The Tree will Blossom Again" (Shenmue meaning 'Cherry Tree' in Japanese)

Still Shenmue 1 and 2 are probably my 2 most replayed games ever, I find them to be such a great tale, with insane amounts of depth when you research the real places they are based and the real myths its based around. Some guy I know of went and took pictures of the real places in the game and its very authentic. Epic and inspiring game love it! despite the bad English voice acting.

Anyway.. This is miles off topic so back ON topic another game that wowed me for graphics is Half Life 2 on PC when running on a high end PC was wowzor.

SEGANERDS

#1 unofficial Sega News website

SHENMUE is a joke of a game...

Shenmue is a freaking epic game. The only people who can't appreciate Shenmue are dolts or have ADD, which are you? :teehee:

While it does contain some quirky elements, my personal experience with the game in it's original state, on the dreamcast that is, is that it suffers from an awkward interface, rather small gameworld, and fairly linear gameplay. Considering how much it cost to produce the game, $20,000,000, I can't help but see it as a joke of a game. It try's to do too much and in that becomes great at none.

There is loads of pointless content in shenmue, it isn't a game for all people, and implying I am a dolt or have ADD is comical... If you cannot make a constructive arguement don't bother saying anything at all.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I love the Doom 3 engine, especially the recent Prey and upcoming Quake Wars. Doom 3 is what motivated me to update my computer.

I thought the graphics in Doom3 were... So-so. BUT it ran like butter on my machine, which i have to give props for. :teehee:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Well just saying that Shenmue is a joke of a game alone isn't any more of a constructive argument either.

Shenmue made some great leaps forward, It introduced Quick Time Events which countless games use now, The graphics and world detail for its time where amazing, The fighting system was as good as any Fighter using the Virtua Fighter style engine that it did. Everything in the game was based in real places the storyline is based on history and myth dating back years into the Chinese dynasties. When you see the sky scrapers in Shenmue 2 where you can go into every room and each room is different to the next you can see how much effort and detail was put into making this game and where all the money went.. Sure a lot of it is unnecessary but its what MAKES the game what it is love it or hate it.

I know that Shenmue is not for everyone it starts off very slow and isn't all out action all the time which most people look for in a game. I'm sorry for calling you a dolt but I've spent a lot of time on this game and I think its awesome despite a couple of things that could have been done better. like the tedious jobs you take and voice acting.

SEGANERDS

Well just saying that Shenmue is a joke of a game alone isn't any more of a constructive argument either.

Considering it's budget I can't help but see it as anything else, but I agree it isn't a constructive arguement.

Shenmue made some great leaps forward.

Did it now?

It introduced Quick Time Events which countless games use now.

Did it now? *cough* Dragons Lair *cough*.

The graphics and world detail for its time where amazing.

I would bloody well expect something for 20 mil. Yeah it looked good in it's day and the world does have more detail than you can wave a stick at. The whole minigames within the game such as hang on, was kinda cool, but that doesn't make a game good.

The fighting system was as good as any Fighter using the Virtua Fighter style engine that it did.

Sure, but I prefer my fighting games as fighting games...

Everything in the game was based in real places the storyline is based on history and myth dating back years into the Chinese dynasties.

Which is great if it interests you...

When you see the sky scrapers in Shenmue 2 where you can go into every room and each room is different to the next you can see how much effort and detail was put into making this game and where all the money went.. Sure a lot of it is unnecessary but its what MAKES the game what it is love it or hate it.

Sure, in that respect you can see where it all went, but it does seem somewhat needless to me, like you say... It's a matter of taste.

I know that Shenmue is not for everyone it starts off very slow and isn't all out action all the time which most people look for in a game. I'm sorry for calling you a dolt but I've spent a lot of time on this game and I think its awesome despite a couple of things that could have been done better. like the tedious jobs you take and voice acting.

I've known alot of people who have enjoied the game, which is certainly a persons right to do so and I'm glad that folks do enjoy such games, the game didn't touch me at all, but it did try and do something new, but overall it resulted in being a HUGE waste of money on sega's part, and its overall impact on games in general appears to be very minimal...

GTA's are perhaps comparative in detail to an extent, so perhap it could be deemed a great grandpa to that genre in a sense... But in the end Shenmue doesn't appeal to me.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

The environments in Doom3 were nice, but the creature builds suffered the same block-plastic-itis that were endemic of graphics in the 90s. UE3 is also generally guilty of this (Bioshock looks pretty good, but Gears of War had the problem in spades)

I much prefer the Source engine. HL2-E1's intro scripted sequence was probably the most awe-inspiring sequence I've seen from a computer game.

So @\NightandtheShape/@, what your saying is, It's not your type of game.. Which is fair enough. But to call the game a joke just because you don't like it doesnt sit well with me. Funny you should bring up GTA, because I hate GTA series with passion.. But I see why people would injoy it and I leave it at that.

SEGANERDS

So @\NightandtheShape/@, what your saying is, It's not your type of game.. Which is fair enough. But to call the game a joke just because you don't like it doesnt sit well with me. Funny you should bring up GTA, because I hate GTA series with passion.. But I see why people would injoy it and I leave it at that.

20 million dollars for the resulting game is a joke, the game to me doesn't reflect the investment.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

SHENMUE is a joke of a game...
If you cannot make a constructive arguement don't bother saying anything at all.

Ironic.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

ZING :teehee:

I have to go for Source engine in PC games. With PS2... well, either MGS's or Shadow of Colossus

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Really. If you're going to criticise a game, at least back it up with something.

And if you aren't going to back it up with something, don't tell other people to back up what they're saying.

I did eventually back up why I thought what i thought did I not?

I admit my inital post was about as empty as a post could possibley be, but I didn't resort to insults which is why I made the statement I made.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

If I had to choose a "best graphics" award-winner, I'd go for Half-Life, and Half-Life 2. The original Quake was really impressive, too, for its time, just like the original Duke Nukem game (the shareware one).

I also agree that cartoony-graphics can be better than a poorly executed "realistic" attempt; Grim Fandango, the NwN series and Freedom Force versus the Third Reich being a couple of good examples.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Grim Fandango was a great game and the graphics really helped set the tone from the very beginning.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If anyone has bothered looking at ingame footage of Mass Effect in full resolution, you'd know ME beats the crap out of any other game, graphic-wise.

Seriously, Mass Effect is just THE most beautiful game I've seen yet.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I see your ME and raise you Okami.

Hell, I raise you Homeworld 2, just by art direction.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Oh yeah, Okami wins just for its Art Direction

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

If anyone has bothered looking at ingame footage of Mass Effect in full resolution, you'd know ME beats the crap out of any other game, graphic-wise.

Seriously, Mass Effect is just THE most beautiful game I've seen yet.

What? The game isn't out yet. It's pretty hard to judge a game before it's in our hands.

Since graphic-engines evolve as technology gets better for every 18 months, it makes it a bit difficult to judge the graphics objectively since there's always a better looking game around the corner (right now, it's Crysis). Usually, one can just judge a games graphics on the art design and what they were able to do with the engine at the time.

That being said, Unreal 1 had the best graphics of its time (1998). When playing with a Voodoo 2 3D-card, nothing came close to it, no Quake 2 and certainly no Half-Life.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Since graphic-engines evolve as technology gets better for every 18 months, it makes it a bit difficult to judge the graphics objectively since there's always a better looking game around the corner (right now, it's Crysis). Usually, one can just judge a games graphics on the art design and what they were able to do with the engine at the time.

That being said, Unreal 1 had the best graphics of its time (1998). When playing with a Voodoo 2 3D-card, nothing came close to it, no Quake 2 and certainly no Half-Life.

I'll see unreal 1 and raise you Unreal tournament and Myth: The Fallen Lords (one of the greatest games of all time in my humble opinion.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.