The missed purchases thread

kirottu

- The tiny $135K condo 11-13 years ago that would probably sell for about $450K-525K now.

- All 3 seasons of Star Trek:ToS on DVD, when I saw it at CostCo for far cheaper than anywhere else.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The reason (well, one of them, anyway) that I have a pile of books to read is based on the times when I have seen a book that interests me, and I haven't purchased it. Only to find later that I couldn't find it. The best example is the book I am currently reading: 1759. After deciding that it was worthy of reading, I decided I would "buy it later", only to forget its title and author ... so it took me probably more than two years to find it again (by British Museum Search of every bookstore I went into, which is a dangerous activity for someone who nearly always walks out of a bookshop with a handful).

The lesson I learnt from that (and other instances) is that it is much better for me to have a pile of books from which to choose my reading, at leisure, than to be irritably looking for something good to read, especially something that I know I want to read and can't have.

Now I pick up a book from my pile(s) and, no matter how long ago I got it, I know I will enjoy reading it for some reason.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Option to buy three bedroom house in County Durham for 20k in 1999. Recently sold in 2006 for 135k. GodDAMMIT!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The stakes weren't quite as high as Wals or LadyCrimson's purchases, but I kind of wish I bought a t-shirt at the concert Sunday.

I established a "no more concert t-shirts rule" last year, because I've accumulated way too many t-shirts, and I'm loathe to throw out the old ones. Also, too many bands sell only black t-shirts -- and I'm really sick of black t-shirts. They make me look like some kind of punk or goth, and they attract heat on sunny days.

So the band I went to see Sunday had the traditional black t-shirt, but they also had some slick-looking gray and blue ones for $15. I could have been the paragon of indie rock coolness... but I couldn't make myself part with the cash.

I did spend $10 on one of their old CDs, but why didn't I kick in an extra buck to get a few stickers for my guitar case? Sometimes my cheapness disgusts me.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

There's usually an excuse for it. When I was offerred the house I thought I'd be out of the country within a year. It didn't make any sense.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I told myself I wouldn't spend 110K on a house without a garage a few years back. Now they've just about tripled in price. :wowey: At least the mortgage on my condo will be paid off in a year or two.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I have more stories about things I shouldn't have bought than things I should've..

come to think of it, I only have stories about things I shouldn't have done or bought.. :wowey:

Fortune favors the bald.

I had a chance to pick up a Porche 928S for a song and a dance. It was red, sexy and fast as a bullet but it needed a fair amount of interior work (cracked dash, torn upholstery, missing knobs). After perusing a few dealers who specialize in after market Porche parts and seeing what I would have to invest to "get it the way I wanted it", I ultimately decided to pass on the car.

At a gunshow, I saw an LC Smith Ideal grade in 16-gauge for sale for well below the current market's highly overblown pricing. I took a look at it and handed it back, deciding to take a walk around and think about it. I decided I wanted it about five minutes later and returned to find that someone had already bought it. D'oh!

Actually I have quite a few of these I could share, as well as some purchases I ended up regretting.

I remember demanding a pair of trainers back when I was a kid. I was absolutely adamant that they were a great idea. About six hours after I'd spent the best art of a year's pocket money on them I understood I'd made a dreadful mistake. Still, it taught me an important lesson.

-Elwood Blues

I had a chance to pick up a Porche 928S for a song and a dance. It was red, sexy and fast as a bullet but it needed a fair amount of interior work (cracked dash, torn upholstery, missing knobs). After perusing a few dealers who specialize in after market Porche parts and seeing what I would have to invest to "get it the way I wanted it", I ultimately decided to pass on the car.

I had a similar experience with a Porsche 356B, only I bought the damn thing. Bad idea.

I had a similar experience with a Porsche 356B, only I bought the damn thing. Bad idea.

I remember you posting about that. At the time you seemed pretty happy about it and things were going smoothly with the repairs. Did you eventually get burned out / priced out on the whole thing?

actually - come to think of it - I've often wanted to buy a book collection.. but my friends all have extensive "libraries", which means I've never had to buy a book myself.. these days (my friends scattered across the country) I kinda regret not having an entire wall pasted with literature.

When I shared an apartment with an old friend, who had about 500+ books in his collection at that time, we were able to this with what we couldn't get on shelves:

post-5477-1179344156_thumb.jpg

Fortune favors the bald.

"There's a bit of Kristian in all of us." You get around don't you?

"Kristian is a female force." Now this is a bit more surprising....

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"There's a bit of Kristian in all of us." You get around don't you?

"Kristian is a female force." Now this is a bit more surprising....

I do and I am.. But I was inspired by Gifted1 here - I just couldn't resist once I read his..

"There's only one, Gifted1" - perfect.. ;)

But here's one for you Pidesco:

style7,cuffawkle.png

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Never trust your instincts? ;)

Actually the lesson it taught me was how to shuck oysters. Go figure.

-Elwood Blues

I remember you posting about that. At the time you seemed pretty happy about it and things were going smoothly with the repairs. Did you eventually get burned out / priced out on the whole thing?

I had to buy a completely new front and back end for it because someone forgot to tie it down loading it into a truck. Then they needed to be installed, and then the whole thing needed to be repainted. I'm still working on it but I've made almost zero progress since I started. I did install some new brakes, however, and it's in the shop getting the engine installed. When that's done I'll have it upholstered and maybe finally get some real work done.

When I was in Hungary in 1992 and was offered a hotel room in Budapest's finest hotel for $20 per night.. but I declined the offer and went to a c0ckroach infested hostel where the rooms cost like.. 50 cent per night! I mean.. $20 is nothing!! The hotel was so exclusive that they had limousines drive into the foyer on a red carpet and there were like ten people for every car who took care of the guests and luggage. An absolutely beautiful hotel it was too..

I huddled on a tent bed with a huge c0ckroach in my pants that night :ermm:

PS. C0ck should really not be in the profanity filter database.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I had a chance to buy AT&T Wireless stock at $3.16 per share. I passed. Eight months later they were bought out for $16.00 per share. AARRGGHHH.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell