Racist 3D Animation Shorts on Fox

Fenghuang

Dude.

I came across these while I was watching the recorded episode of House from this last week just now, and liking animation, and especially 3D animation I perked up. Only to be disgusted. Now, the tone of the article I linked to doesn't reflect my political views at all, but the shorts were blatantly racist; even before I'd read the article and caught all the stuff I'd missed just viewing it.

What's the deal Fox? :down:

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I'm more offended that they aren't in any way funny or entertaining. I usually find racism hilarious unless it involves violence.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I asked a chinese girl at work if all chinese could fly or just those trained in martial arts.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

When I was little I didn't realize that black people existed except on the television.

The first time I saw one up close (I was like five) I automatically assumed he was a character from Sesame Street.

My mom almost killed me.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I can't tell if the shivering I'm experiencing is revulsion or startlement. Maybe they were aiming for Borat, and just got plain crud. Racial humour is like fugu fish. It has to be prepared and served by a master. Not by minimum wage yobs in the basement at Fox's lair.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Reminds me of the new Pro "stare over your kids shoulder while online" ads

POS is, instead of Piece of S*** it's Parents over shoulder :yucky:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah I agree with Oerwinde, racism is funny, if done right. Mencia and friends suck especially mencia. Gawd I hate that fat slob.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I remember seeing this on TV; thought they were just plain old ads with weird animation and haven't really watched them since I usually walk away during commercials. So I wouldn't have noticed.

From the article, certainly doesn't seem politically correct, that's for sure. Whether the producers meant any real harm or not, who knows.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I remember seeing this on TV; thought they were just plain old ads with weird animation and haven't really watched them since I usually walk away during commercials. So I wouldn't have noticed.

From the article, certainly doesn't seem politically correct, that's for sure. Whether the producers meant any real harm or not, who knows.

Intent or no, it's awfully insensitive. I've no doubt that Fox is capable and willing to employ mouth-breathers who wouldn't know or care what taste is, but chances there's somebody who knew better, and they let this 'un go.

But Fox programming is usually so classy!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm the guy who wrote the original post at Democratic Central about these racist shorts; glad to see you're discussing the issues.

Personally I think racism is hilarious -- not because ethnicity is funny, but because racists are idiots. "Racist humor is like fugu" -- exactly right, but with a caveat. Mencia does racist humor, and it's not funny. Sara Silverman is a great example of what she calls "meta-racism" where you use a racist persona to make fun of the racists. It's the Stephen Colbert approach, and it's hilarious when done really well, but that's not what fox was doing. Fox wasn't pulling a borat -- where you use meta-racism to expose actual racism in others.

Let me also say that no one "fell asleep at the wheel" here. Advertisers don't do things like this by accident. I've written ads, I know. When I said these ads were "textbook" examples of tacit racism, I wasn't kidding. There are textbooks written about the southern strategy, the way you can invoke racist imagery without putting it on screen. If you put it onscreen, people know you're being racist, and they don't like it, but if you just frame it, and let people fill in the rest ("That's funny, because arabs are terrorists who go to a lot of detention facilities"), you've got 100% effect, with zero liability.

Don't let these guys skate on their easily-contrived plausible deniability. It's not hatespeech, and it's not inciting violence, it's just reinforcing pre-existing racial prejudice, and while it doesn't deserve too much outrage, it at least deserves our scorn. Thanks for reading.

Dr. House is my hero.

:) (Is this a Fox programme, or am I missing your reference?)

it's just reinforcing pre-existing racial prejudice, and while it doesn't deserve too much outrage, it at least deserves our scorn.

I agree that they are re-inforcing existing prejudices, but I disagree that it only deserves scorn.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The Fox maddness started with Al Bundy ... :D

American Idol is a Fox production too, which I'm sure gives them plenty of funds ...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I do my best to avoid Fox shows since they canceled Firefly.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I know the show, I watch it religiously on Thursday nights.

He's not kidding. He has this huge hat, and incense.

msnook, what do you believe would be the purpose of such adverts then? Is it really just to make the odd thuggish fool hoot and eat more snacks?

-Elwood Blues