Great news from Feargus

[..]if not more becouse regional wars and interest conflicts

Yeah but that's exactly what makes a PA setting so interesting. Because the Fallout games weren't about some stupid Orc-Elves war were you can put in every nonsense, but adressed subjects like humanity, despair, power, humor etc. Something people grew up with in their region/city and therefor have their own stories and views of events, as well as have to struggle with the originated social structures, economical circumstances and what not.

I don't usually post here, but this is an interesting thread. Personally, I don't like mixing fantasy and scifi. I also think that the whole nuclear holocaust post-apoc thing is getting old. So how about something slightly more relevant to our times...

50 years from now...

Global warming has led to the melting of the polar ice caps, inundation of coastal areas, runaway pandemics, and general economic hardship. In an attempt to stop further damage to the environment a group of ecoterrorists develop a genetically engineered bacteria that eats petroleum, reducing it to a useless sludge. Stressed world economies collapse and anarchy breaks out around the globe.

Flash forward another 50 years...

The player starts life as a farmer living in a small rural community under the "protection" of a warlord. His village is attacked by a mysterious raider (yes, I know it's stock CRPG plot at this point) who murders most of the men and enslaves the women and children. The player (be he male or female) is one of a few survivors who escapes, and is forced to seek the Warlord's aid in freeing the prisoners. The Warlord has different ideas, though, and "recruits" the player into his army...

[..]if not more becouse regional wars and interest conflicts

Yeah but that's exactly what makes a PA setting so interesting. Because the Fallout games weren't about some stupid Orc-Elves war were you can put in every nonsense, but adressed subjects like humanity, despair, power, humor etc. Something people grew up with in their region/city and therefor have their own stories and views of events, as well as have to struggle with the originated social structures, economical circumstances and what not.

well, thats why they should make it in a cooperation with european developers...maybe Digital Reality? :ermm:

but the point is that because it would be needed to be more complex you can't say its not possible

IB1OsQq.png

I don't usually post here, but this is an interesting thread. Personally, I don't like mixing fantasy and scifi. I also think that the whole nuclear holocaust post-apoc thing is getting old. So how about something slightly more relevant to our times...

50 years from now...

Global warming has led to the melting of the polar ice caps, inundation of coastal areas, runaway pandemics, and general economic hardship. In an attempt to stop further damage to the environment a group of ecoterrorists develop a genetically engineered bacteria that eats petroleum, reducing it to a useless sludge. Stressed world economies collapse and anarchy breaks out around the globe.

Flash forward another 50 years...

The player starts life as a farmer living in a small rural community under the "protection" of a warlord. His village is attacked by a mysterious raider (yes, I know it's stock CRPG plot at this point) who murders most of the men and enslaves the women and children. The player (be he male or female) is one of a few survivors who escapes, and is forced to seek the Warlord's aid in freeing the prisoners. The Warlord has different ideas, though, and "recruits" the player into his army...

I could see playing the game. Of course, there'd have to be more to it. It sure as hell beats Gromnir's Thundarr universe.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

huh? :o

what ya talk about?

im lost

You have no idea. :down:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

it wouldn't matter, as after fallout our continent would be changed to nonrecognition just like USA, if not more becouse regional wars and interest conflicts

I thought it might be interesting to make a Fallout game that was about the collapse of Europe prior to "the big one", during the Resource Wars. The UK and a few other countries were the only European nations that had not descended into anarchy, and that was only because their governments had effectively become totalitarian/police states. These countries were trying to secure resources in the Middle East while continental Europe was tearing itself apart. Nuclear "accidents" had occured in several European countries, and anarcists, gangs, and other crazy people were running all over the place.

i understand the words, but the sentence just doesn't make sense to me :down:

I believe kirottu was trying to make a point that you were talking nonsense by using an appeal to ridicule. (An example wiki gives of this type of argument: If Einstein's theory of relativity is right, that would mean that when I drive my car it gets shorter and heavier the faster I go. That's crazy!)

You suggested there would be little difference between a post-apololyptic Europe and America, as both would be focused on reginal conflicts, and a great deal of what makes European culture European would be gone.

He ridiculed your statement using this logic: If Jorian Drake's argument is correct, then we might as well disregard the pretence of a post-apocolypic Europe resembling our world at all, and instead portray it as a land filled with Elves and crime lord Huts who take counsel from Jedis, Mages and Druids.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I kind of got a little lost on that particular discussion, but I have to admit that Fallout sounds great either in Europe or North America. There are plenty of opportunities for sequels within the United States, but as long the core elements are there, I would love a good Fallout game set just about anywhere.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i understand the words, but the sentence just doesn't make sense to me ;)

I believe kirottu was trying to make a point that you were talking nonsense by using an appeal to ridicule. (An example wiki gives of this type of argument: If Einstein's theory of relativity is right, that would mean that when I drive my car it gets shorter and heavier the faster I go. That's crazy!)

You suggested there would be little difference between a post-apololyptic Europe and America, as both would be focused on reginal conflicts, and a great deal of what makes European culture European would be gone.

He ridiculed your statement using this logic: If Jorian Drake's argument is correct, then we might as well disregard the pretence of a post-apocolypic Europe resembling our world at all, and instead portray it as a land filled with Elves and crime lord Huts who take counsel from Jedis, Mages and Druids.

Um... I thought Morgoth

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

What I like to see is not a post apocalypse type game but an apocalypse type game. Your character is living through the apocalypse and has to learn how to survive the ordeal. A good type of apocalypse for this sort would be one depicted in The Stand or Day After Tomorrow.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

No, NEVER ever let Bethesda publish any games for Obsidian.

NEVER.

After what I had seen with the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth that was meant to be made with a much more richer and deeper experience butchered into the current consolized version because of Bethesda.

NO.

Just make your own IP instead.

Oh, 40K RPG will roxor my pants off.

Edited by Zoma

And it still wouldn't be Fallout even if they did.

No, it would be Fallout 3. Fallout came out in 1997.

Maria CaliB4NzZZZ0rZZZdD :D

is a little know fact that fergie and Gromnir is tight... kinda likes third cousins who mildly dislike each other based 'pon the 2 or 3 times they has met at reunions or funerals over past couple decades. real tight.

anyways, the 40k stuff is smoke screen. fergie has always had a favorite post-apoc license that he has wished to devotes millions o' dollars and thousands o' man hours to realizing... combines magic and tech.

linky

am not always on same page as obsidians, but we thinks this one gots real potential.

I spent many Saturday morning hours watching their adventures! :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What I like to see is not a post apocalypse type game but an apocalypse type game. Your character is living through the apocalypse and has to learn how to survive the ordeal. A good type of apocalypse for this sort would be one depicted in The Stand or Day After Tomorrow.

the terminator 4...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Pfft, I want a cRPG based on the Book of Revelations. None of that pseudo-apocalyptic rubbish.

Ragnarok would do in a pinch.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I don't know about religious based games, but one that is set up like The Stand would be cool. 99.99999% of humanity dead, but all the wonders of modern life , and all their needs to use them, still exists. Roving bands of survivors seeking to etch out a new existance while a supernatural evil lurks to take advantage of man's down fall. It could be yummy.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I don't know about religious based games, but one that is set up like The Stand would be cool. 99.99999% of humanity dead, but all the wonders of modern life , and all their needs to use them, still exists. Roving bands of survivors seeking to etch out a new existance while a supernatural evil lurks to take advantage of man's down fall. It could be yummy.

It was mostly a joke.. mostly.

Nevertheless, you're right, The Sand would make a good cRPG setting. Or maybe an adventure/RPG hybrid with episodic content in which you play a different main character each chapter.