Neverwinter Nights

ghosta

I'm intrested in Neverwinter Nights but I want to know what some general information on the game and it's story.

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

You might want to post this in the right forum then. Also do you mean Neverwinter Nights 1 or Neverwinter Nights 2? If you mean NWN1, as your title seems to indicate then you need to use the Bioware forums. Then again, you might want to use the Bioware forums for NWN2 since that is where the official forums for it is at.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I ment both and the seris in General

but thanks I'll go to the Bioware forums

I used to post in the K1 forums there but I havent in a while

By the way why are the Jedi Temple forums dissserted?

Edited by ghosta

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

Don't know. I don't post there.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

NWN1 is a D&D 3E game from BIO. It's their second D&D series after BG. It's also their most successful despite the protests of a rather vocal minority.

It has 4 parts. The OC which was of average quality, and when people attack the game their focus is usually directed there. There's the Multi Player which is self explantary. There's the Dungeon Master Client which allows one to play (and DM) the game like pen and paper DnD which the game is based on. The toolset is the 4th part, and it allows one to create their own adventures.

Like all D&D games, NWN has all sorts of classes, races, spells, monsters, and everything else you might think a fantasy game would likely have.

It has two expansion. the first is Shadows of Undretide. It is decent at best, and is overrated though the first chapter is impressive. The second expansion is Hordes of the Underdark which introduces epic levels (game was originally up to level 20, HOTU allows you level 40), and is actually impressive though it has lots ph@t lewt.

NWN allows you to have 1 character + 1 Expert Hireling controlled by the computer. SOU has 1 PC + 1 computer controlled henchman. HOTU gives you a second computer controlled henchmen.

Both expansions add lots of new stuff as well as their original campaigns.

There are also tons of user made modules, and Persistent Worlds 9kind of like MMORPGs except they are free, and not exactly massive - 64 max player susually though most PWs allow much less). There are also a few Premium modules available which are sold at the BIO store. These are modules builty by BIO or financed by them. NWN has gotten years of suppport starting when it was released in 2002.

NWN2 is the sequel to NWN1 (heheh, no duh! :brows: ). It was developed by Obsidian with the blessing of Bioware. It allows 1 player created character + player controlled henchmen (number varies; but usually 3). You can have the computer control the party if you so wish. It is 3.5 DnD as opposed to 3.5 (mainly just an update). The main additions are improved graphics (for the most part), a new class, and built in subraces. The new OC is also of average quality. It does soemthings far better than the NWN OC; but ti does some things worse as well. Most people on this particular board no doubt prefer NWN2 O. Just look at the name of the baord for the reasons why. Thus far, Obsidian has done a solid job updating/patching NWN2. There's likely an expansion to come. The game was released later last year.

Both games are worth the purchases. NWN1 = all the extra goodies cna be had rather cheap; but the graphics (obviously) are lagging behind current generation of stuff. NWN2 is a solid purchase; but still (dpeending on who you ask) has some kinks to be worked out.

Buy both and enjoy. :sweat:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Thread pruned. I am sure we can stick to the topic and not resort to taunting one another.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Buy both and enjoy. :thumbsup:

NWN 1 is crap. NWN 2 is better. Don

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

NWN1 OC is crap. SoU is better. HotU is decent. I say buy it for the gameplay and the user made mods. NWN2 is superior in almost every aspect to NWN1 and overall a better game.

Buy both and enjoy. :thumbsup:

NWN 1 is crap. NWN 2 is better. Don

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The original OC (Official Campaign) is fairly disapointing but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be IMHO. One of the big problems in the OC was that a lot of quests were carbon copies of a quest you had just performed. In the first chapter for instance, for one quest you need to break into 3 noble houses to steal art objects and the dialogue is nearly identical in each house. NWN 1 really could have been shortened in area do to these repeat quests and dialog.

While Baldur's Gate 2 had impressive interactive followers who would interact with you at all different times and have completly different stories that each had a quest completly different from other characters, NWN 1 henchmen all open up to you in the exact same format. Level up to talk to me more and I'll give you another peice of the story. Once you get enough info out of me I'll ask you for some object to find. The henchmen, while having interesting stories, had the blandest and most manufactured way of telling their stories I've ever seen. I think it sucked a lot of the life out of their characters.

The expansions are much better IMHO. I have a particular fondness for Shadows of Undrentide.

I frankly recommend this game for all the amazing content developed outside the box. Even if you end up loathing the OC as much as others here, there are hundreds of outstanding modules available for this game, from recreations of classic D&D modules and games to outstanding new scenarios made by fans. There is even a complete remake of Diablo & it's expansion pack Hellfire out. If you do decide to get NWN DEFFINITLY get a complete package with the two expansions as many of the best modules require both expansions installed.

There is always the possibility that you might even enjoy the OC. While many people complain about it there are plenty who enjoyed it as well.

haven't played any of the expansions for NWN1, and after playing the OC, i don't think i'll bother

it was just so bland. generic story, endlessly identical quests...

eventually i'll get round to trying out NWN2, so i hope it's a bit better at least

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

If you're not a graphics whore go and buy NWN. You can find way much more content for it than you can find for the second one. It can easily keep you busy for 500+ hours. Besides, its community is still larger than the NWN2's.

For both games, OC is just a placeholder. Just a sample which shows the capability of the tools. Nothing more.

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

"500+ hours"

Thousands, actually. Heh. With NWN2, I've used it for maybe 100 hours including the OC and my pathetic attempts at making modules. R00fles!

NWN1 is teh sucky. Garbage graphics, so-so story. NWN2 is far better.

Install and play NWN1 for 10 minutes, take a close look at the animations. Then install NWN2 and play it for 10 minutes. Zoom in and watch animations, and compare. Then log on here, and see if you still agree with what you just said.

Oh, and do put your glasses on before playing. Not that you need it though, just to be sure.

As for the story. Sure. Great story in 2. Wish I got to play the game as well, not just watch it play iself.

J.

NWN1's "circling fights" animations are teh sucky. I prefer new ones. They fit to NWN2 although they definetly wouldn't for game like KotOR

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

"NWN1's "circling fights" animations are teh sucky. I prefer new ones. They fit to NWN2 although they definetly wouldn't for game like KotOR"

u r krazy

NWN1's combat animations are 1 million times betteet han NWN2's attempt. NWN2's combat animiations are so boring, I belive it really hurts the game's combat. i find NWN2's combat A LOT more boring than NWN1's despite the fact they basically have the same combat system (still NWN2's combat is still superior to other games).

As for story, NWN2's story is pretty sucky. Worst part of the OC outside of forced npcs. Thankfully, other things made the OC fun. But, story wans't one of them.

If you buy the collector's edition of NWN2, you get NWN and its two expansion packs on a very handy single DVD.

haven't played any of the expansions for NWN1, and after playing the OC, i don't think i'll bother

it was just so bland. generic story, endlessly identical quests...

eventually i'll get round to trying out NWN2, so i hope it's a bit better at least

I recommend getting the expansions, as the stories are better than the original OC, or even skipping their stories and going straight to the user-created modules on the Neverwinter Vault. I'll admit I was a little uncertain at first as to whether humble gamers could have produced anything that didn't look poor by comparison with the efforts of professional developers, but it's true. There's some really worthwhile stuff over there, to suit all tastes.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

There's some really worthwhile stuff over there, to suit all tastes.

I'm angry the Paladin trilogy was never finished. That was my favorite, despite being ridiculously linear.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There's some really worthwhile stuff over there, to suit all tastes.

I'm angry the Paladin trilogy was never finished. That was my favorite, despite being ridiculously linear.

Yes! When I first started playing that series I didn't realize that the entire thing wasn't finished and might never be. :blink: