Suggest a photography "assignment"

LadyCrimson

I need to practice my photography more. The problem is sometimes (ok, most of the time) I'm...lazy...so I thought it might be fun now and then to ask for "assignments." So if you're willing, suggest something for me to take a picture of - silly or serious, doesn't matter. In a couple days I'll make a list of some or all of the ones I think are feasible, and then post what I come up with next Monday.

For now, suggest a still-life subject - y'know, vase and flowers, food item, hands, that sort of thing. Suggestions should be within the realm of reality for a suburbian housewife to aquire during daily living. No guarantee the results will be wonderfully artistic, but hopefully seeing what my interpretation of your suggestion turns out to be might be fun?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Extraterrestrials

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Pictures with fingers covering part of the lense. (I'm particularly good at this one)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I need to practice my photography more. The problem is sometimes (ok, most of the time) I'm...lazy...so I thought it might be fun now and then to ask for "assignments." So if you're willing, suggest something for me to take a picture of - silly or serious, doesn't matter. In a couple days I'll make a list of some or all of the ones I think are feasible, and then post what I come up with next Monday.

For now, suggest a still-life subject - y'know, vase and flowers, food item, hands, that sort of thing. Suggestions should be within the realm of reality for a suburbian housewife to aquire during daily living. No guarantee the results will be wonderfully artistic, but hopefully seeing what my interpretation of your suggestion turns out to be might be fun?

If you were in Ames, or areas effected by the huge winter storm you could take pictures of downed trees, animals trying to cope with the sudden snow, people working or helping each other trying to move downed trees, and the such. If I had a camera I would definitely take pictures of this. As for weather nothing is as dangerous as it is beautiful than freezing rain with wet snow.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Go to your local animal shelter and take pics of the dogs and cats there. Then find a website (like this one even) and post the pics with contact info in case anyone is interested in adopting. That what I would do.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If only my posting wasn't moderated ):<

But anyways find something where nature is overcoming humanity. Like a weed in the sidewalk but more dramatic and awesome.

Or find something beautiful in something ugly or sad. Like a sleeping hobo with a rose in an empty grimy wine bottle.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I was thinking of a picture. There is a shotglass sitting on a bar teble. It is filled halfway. There is a light to the side that casts a beam through the glass, which then hits the table beside the glass. A little away from the shotglass, there is a collection of bottles. Scotch. Bourbon. Vodka. Gin. etc. The caption underneath reads, "The glass is half empty."

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Who needs bowl of fruit nr. 1000.001

:D I wouldn't disagree. I like many still life photos for technical reasons, but they're not usually exciting to look at on visual alone, if that makes sense. On the other hand, I also personally find broad landscapes generally boring visually, as well. It's all what we've been exposed to too often, I suppose.

Main reason for asking for still life's first is they're the easiest to do on short notice, imo. I'm not likely, for example, to spend 3-5 hours in traffic to go to San Francisco or Santa Cruz just to take a few cultural/landscape pics.

San Fran has some great buildings and angle perspectives...I used to like taking pictures up there a lot when I went there regularly for lessons and such. But it's a lot of hassle if you don't actually live there. Haven't been to downtown SJ too much since moving here...it's never looked all that interesting. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Still-life doesn't have to be an inanmiate object on table, btw...'trees' and the street sign idea work as well. Capturing images of random people is a bit different.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought my ideas were pretty good. :sorcerer:

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I thought my ideas were pretty good. :thumbsup:

I didn't say they weren't. :)

Don't you have like.. uhm.. a couple of hot female friends.. and a few bottles of wine.. and.. uh.. nevermind.

My cousin's kinda hot. But she's a lawyer and would probably sue me ... ;)