S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadow of Chernobyl (impressions video inside)

Lare Kikkeli

Fascinating. I know the armor bar went down in multiplayer, but not that it ever would in single player. I should hope that's a bug because I never found a way to repair that armor in multiplayer without dying. Even putting on a new suit wouldn't do it.

Nope, not a bug. I bought a replacement leather jacket (which is all I could afford) and when I put it on all my armor values went back to normal, when I put on the damaged armor the damaged values returned. I swapped it a couple times to make sure.

I like it. It never made sense to me that armor never took damage. What is the point of heaving an armor bar if the bar never changes, you know? And now I have something worht buying with my money. I'm curious to see if the trader at the bar north of garbage has an improved inventory as well.

My question is: Is armor taking damage something that was changed in the patch? Or something that comes into play at the higher difficulty level.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't like it because the end of the game has enough firefighting that you could probably run through a few suits of armor, but you don't have the ability to go back and get new ones.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't like it because the end of the game has enough firefighting that you could probably run through a few suits of armor, but you don't have the ability to go back and get new ones.

Well the trader in the first level is now selling armor, so its now more available. Its really expensive though. He was selling a stalker suit although that went away after his first invetory change. Now his top end piece is a merc suit, which is still pretty good.

But yeah, I agree that it is a concern. Since you can't loot armor like you can everything else, you are totally reliant on finds and purchases. There isn't much else to spend your money on, so I guess that's not a huge deal. But I am now highly motivated to take every job and find every artificat to get enough money to buy armor. I wish the stalker suit had not gone away though. I could sure use it when I go into Garbage.

DOes the stalker suit have radiation resistance? I can't remember.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

He always (maybe often? Maybe just sometimes?) has something odd the first time you see him. I saw him with the Duty assault rifle modified for .45 ammo my most recent playthrough.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

He always (maybe often? Maybe just sometimes?) has something odd the first time you see him. I saw him with the Duty assault rifle modified for .45 ammo my most recent playthrough.

Yes, he always (every time I've checked) has that rifle in stock until you finish the first story mission then it disappears, as far as I can tell for good. The challenge there is to raise enough money to buy it without taking the first missions. It can be done, I did it once, but it took a lot of work.

The stalker suit was around after the first mission along with the other armor. But it has since disappeared though the other armor remains. ALl he used to sell armor-wise was lather jackets.

I seem to be stuck. Help would be appreciated.

I'm at the point at which you have to find the underground lab for the Barkeep. I've killed the bandit leader and gotten his half of the key, and now I'm being directed to this crane in the middle of a bandit base (they're closing in on me, but I can handle them) and I have no idea what to do. I can't seem to open or use anything in the vicinity of the crane. I'm at a loss. Anybody know how to work this?

Not entirely sure, but..

I think you're supposed to find a way down in the near vicinity, if you are where I think you are.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Not entirely sure, but..

I think you're supposed to find a way down in the near vicinity, if you are where I think you are.

Yeah, I totally missed that. Great atmosphere in the lab, better than FEAR. I thought the invisible guys were supposed to be impervious to bullets, so I spent awhile trying to find some way around the poltergeist. The physics up to that point had been remarkably unimpressive, but the gravity poltergeist effects were better than Bloodlines, heh.

I tried a pirated version of this game and its totally sweet so Ive just ordered me a Collector's Edition :shifty:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I tried a pirated version of this game and its totally sweet so Ive just ordered me a Collector's Edition :shifty:

That it is. Just an FYI that applying the patch makes a couple major changes to the game, and makes it more difficult. Mostly because of the change to armor implementation. After spending some time playing on different difficulty levels, I don't think it is well balanced.

edit: If there was an easy way to go back to the pre-patched version I would. I'm not sure I feel up to uninstalling then reinstalling at this point.

Edited by CrashGirl

It's quite easy to hack the game, so Im thinking about making a small modification to make it play more like a Rainbow Six game in terms of weapon accuracy and damage.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's quite easy to hack the game, so Im thinking about making a small modification to make it play more like a Rainbow Six game in terms of weapon accuracy and damage.

That could be cool. But you should try playing on higher difficulty settings as well. Both damage and accuracy appear to increase at higher difficulty levels (for the AI not for you :shifty: ) . At veteran level (which is not even the highest setting) combat is really hard (at least combined with the patch changes). The AI is much more accurate and will shoot your face off if you poke it out from behind an obstacle. Its OK when facing two or three enemies at a time, but when you go up to six or seven it becomes really tough. There was one battle I was in where the AI was firing so furiously that I was litrrally pinned down and unable to move without getting cut to ribbons. I lost almost half my armor in just moments. It was kind of cool in its own way, but I'm not sure I woudl want to play a whole game like that.

I am thinking of reverting to pre-patch and playing at Veteran level. I think that combo might work well.

That could be cool. But you should try playing on higher difficulty settings as well. Both damage and accuracy appear to increase at higher difficulty levels (for the AI not for you 8) ) . At veteran level (which is not even the highest setting) combat is really hard (at least combined with the patch changes). The AI is much more accurate and will shoot your face off if you poke it out from behind an obstacle.

Thats the BAD side of RainbowSix(thankfully not nowadays, R6Vegas offers very entertaining AI) and not what I was intending to emulate 8) No, I just want to be able hit and kill what I aim at. Stalker suffers far too much from the oldschool FPS mentality of "Its fun to shoot, so lets make it so you have to spray an entire clip into an enemy to kill him, yeah.. thats good game design"

I tried a pirated version of this game and its totally sweet so Ive just ordered me a Collector's Edition 8)

MWAHAHAHA!

StalkerCE1.jpg

StalkerCE2.jpg

It is well worth it. The (paper) map alone is worth it. Love the metal box too!

Sounds like this game has issues with ATI cards, much like Jade Empire. I'll think I'll pass on this game til I get my new computer which will be a NVidia System.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

That box is friggin' awesome! Mine should arrive next week, until then Im replaying with the patch installed so I can have a savegame where I stopped playing with the unpatched pirated version.

Hopefully, Stalker will mean a revival of the postapocalyptic setting in games :*

Kaftan's Amazing STALKER mod is under construction! Although its more a rebalancing than a mod, but Ive gotten everything to work so its just alot of tweaking left.

A couple spoiler questions about weapons and attachments:

1) I'm the Duty HQ/Bar zone and have noticed a couple stalkers wandering around with scopes on their battle rifles. Where can I get a scope? Don't be too precise, just which sector of the zone do I have to go to.

2) I found a silencer attachment at the institute and haven't figured out to put it on a weapon. Is that something I can do myself or do I have to find someone to attach it for me? Once it is attached, is it permanent or can it be removed?

Those are not spoilers. Without the patch you can only get scopes by looting the dead around the bar and further into the zone. Attachments are used by simly dragging them on top of the weapon you want to attach it to in the inventory. Only some weapons can use attachements and it must be the right model for that gun

Those are not spoilers. Without the patch you can only get scopes by looting the dead around the bar and further into the zone. Attachments are used by simly dragging them on top of the weapon you want to attach it to in the inventory. Only some weapons can use attachements and it must be the right model for that gun

Thank you. :verymad:

I picked this up yesterday on my way home from work. Got it installed, watched the intro, then while talking to the old guy the game freezes. Can't alt-tab, alt-ctrl-del, nothing....had to reset. After reboot, loaded the game up again, watched intro and again the game freezes. This time it was after I got my first mission and stepped outside, again I can't do anything except reset. Load up the game a third time and this time I get a little further and while talking to an NPC I get a BSOD. Unbelievable. I don't have this problem with any other games I have on my HD and that includes Oblivion, Jade Empire, NWN2, HoMM5 and Titan Quest. Anyone else having this problem?

Edited by Setzer

Nope. But I have to admit I am stuck in the Army Warehouse zone because of constant crashes. I am hoping that the patch will solve that problem for me, but I don't want to start all over again because of it so I'm stuck there too. Constant crashes or having to start over?! Argh.

Maybe you should update your drivers and such?

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.