S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadow of Chernobyl (impressions video inside)

Lare Kikkeli

question:

under what circumstances do you join the duty and get to advance to the main town? I'm in area two and they won't let me pass

You don't join Duty for that. You have to get the briefcase/files/whatever that you're supposed to take to the Barkeep. You tell the Warrant Officer at the checkpoint that the barkeep is expecting you.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thanks Tale, you really should start writing for GameFaqs lol

Who do I talk to in order to get sent to the Barkeep?!?1

It's the first Special Mission given by the trader in the rookie area. Judging by your past posts, I figured you were already on that.

I'm making a second run through now to put a FAQ together.

Edited by Tale

About 10 hours if you stick to only the main quest, from what I read. It took me closer to 20, though.

spoiler question for start of second zone:

When you first enter the zone you get a mission to help the small group of stalkers in the junkyard. I fought off the bandit attack easily enough (grenades + assault rifles are teh awesome!) and got my reward from the lead stalker. But almost immediately a whole bunch more bandits showed up. I fought for a few minutes but then decided it was a losing proposition since there appeared to be a huge respawning going, so in true scavenger style I ran away. Is there anyway to save the stalkers there? It didn't seem possible based on the numbers of bandits that were spawning.

Yeah, I've been confused and have been backtracking from the third zone on, and I may have ****ed myself, because now it seems that all the zones are crawling with well-equipped bandits and I'm running out of ammo for my main gun. I may have to start the game over, since I don't know if I can muscle through the zones again. One thing about the game, at least at this point, is that you use more ammo than you can scavenge.

I had a nice little experience with the game so far, as difficult as it is. I was scavenging at the old farm house where you complete your first mission, and I went up to the attic, where I looked out of the hole in the roof and saw a group of about 10 bandits running across the countryside, 2 of them getting annihilated by anomalies. They were moving towards the stalker camp I was ultimately heading to. So I follow them, and find out that they're camping out under a bridge, and they don't see me. So I sneak up near them and throw a grenade into their little camp. I killed about 7 bandits, and the eighth fell quickly to my pistol. It was glorious.

You know the military group that's at the train tracks? The ones you can negotiate with to get across instead of fighting. Last night I went there, and they were all dead. Every last one of them with a scattering of bandits. I guess a large group of bandits decided to come through and wiped out the military.

That's what I like about this game.

Edited by Tale

You know the military group that's at the train tracks? The ones you can negotiate with to get across instead of fighting. Last night I went there, and they were all dead. Every last one of them with a scattering of bandits. I guess a large group of bandits decided to come through and wiped out the military.

That's what I like about this game.

Sure, I mean that's kind of neat, but the thing is that it doesn't have any impact on the game at all. The military just respawns and will retake it soon enough.

I wiped them out twice so far at that spot and they have come back both times. Now, if they sent more heavily armed men, that would be neat.

Edited by kumquatq3

I'm an explorer. I like finding neat things. I don't care about the loot, I don't care about the AI and tactics. I care about two things, what cool things I can see and what the story is like.

I rank the outcome of a bandit - military war where the bandits won as the result of ambient life (and therefore not something that occurs all the time) to be a pretty nice thing simply to see.

Sure, I mean that's kind of neat, but the thing is that it doesn't have any impact on the game at all. The military just respawns and will retake it soon enough.

I wiped them out twice so far at that spot and they have come back both times. Now, if they sent more heavily armed men, that would be neat.

I also wiped that fairly quickly (and man was that a tough fight, I really didn't have the weaponry to take them on at that point). They have yet to respawn. Maybe because I wiped the ones at the entrance to the Zone as well, I don't know.

A question to those playing the game: does it have StarForce?

Only in Russia.

Reached the bar and the area beyond, which switches out the military and bandits with Freedom and Duty. I helped the Duty guys raid the big Freedom base, but it was my job to take out all the snipers, and damn it all if I didn't have time. I got one down before the entire Duty force got killed, and I became a sitting duck. So I charged the building at the center of the map and dug in, while the Freedom guys regrouped. Switched out my rapid-shot AK-74 for a GP 37 (finally, a scoped gun) and the sawed-off for the Chaser 13. Luckily enough for me, the Freedom leader was in my building on a different floor, so I killed him and picked off the rest of the guys as they climbed the stairs. I killed enough people that I could effectively replace my AK-74 with the superior gun, with +500 bullets. The nice thing about the game now is that most of the enemies that you fight take 4 or 5 bullets to kill, and carry 20-30 bullets on them, so it's no longer the case that you leak ammo as you fight. I think I may have hit the point where the game becomes easy.

I have found out that there is eventually a point at which the enemy respawns weaken to such an extent that they are no longer able to overrun any encampments in an area. You just have to kill a lot of them. I killed about 60 or 70 bandits before the Garbage / train station area stopped respawning bandits in groups of over 5 people. Now the only encampment that's not in neutral hands is the one that doesn't spawn neutrals, towards the southern end of the map.

btw, does anyone know how to use the attachable grenade launcher on that assault rifle? It's not an alternate fire mode, so I'm lost.

Edited by Pop

RE: Chernobyl early

While I was on my way to deal with the "brain scorcher," I decided to head towards Pripyat just to check it out. You get the hallucination effects, constant bleeding, I think radiation, too, for the last part of the run there if you haven't shut off the "brain scorcher." However, if you make it into Pripyat, the game updates your journal as if you shut off the thing and everything moves forward.

So, you can get to it early!

I haven't enjoyed a computer game this much in a long long time. I am going to be sad when it is over. >_<

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Haha

So it's the brain scorcher that keeps killing me when I approach the gate to Chernobyl?

Chernobyl or Pripyat?

I haven't enjoyed a computer game this much in a long long time. I am going to be sad when it is over. >_<

On the upside, the dynamic AI ensures a lot of replay value. If somebody found a way to ensure that the randomized quests don't eventually stop, you could play a never-ending game.

Even then, there are the 8 different endings, no?

Wait, are you talking about the Duty guys? Isn't the whole map considered "The Zone"?

I think so. But on the very first map, south of the trader, there is a military border patrol of some sort. Heavily guarded, 10 or so army guys that patrol the roads. I think that's supposed to be the entrance to the Zone, although you can't go anywhere in that direction.