S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadow of Chernobyl (impressions video inside)

Lare Kikkeli

An even better reason to take a pass on it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I'm pretty sure that Starforce is dead.

Not quite.

Looking at their site, I see something very sad. http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=83&id=1062

76.25% of people who visited their site believe that copyright needs no protection.

15.7% voted that authors should receive decent payment for their work

Wow... just wow.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just think there are better methods of copy protection than forcing the end user to install spyware on his or her computer.

I think the best way ist to set up a set of CD Keys that only legitmate registered copies of a product recieve patches and unpdates, as well have online support (either for gaming or other functions), anbd if you do not have a legitimate copy you may use the software all you want, but it will be as is with no support whatsoever. Of course allow a person buy a CD key off the main site would also be allowable as well.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I just think there are better methods of copy protection than forcing the end user to install spyware on his or her computer.

I think the best way ist to set up a set of CD Keys that only legitmate registered copies of a product recieve patches and unpdates, as well have online support (either for gaming or other functions), anbd if you do not have a legitimate copy you may use the software all you want, but it will be as is with no support whatsoever. Of course allow a person buy a CD key off the main site would also be allowable as well.

2 things to this:

1) Spyware? What spyware? What copy protection scheme involves spyware?

2) This poll mentioned just said protection of copyright. It didn't even mention specific schemes. People voted for absolutely no protection over artists getting paid.

Starforce sends files in your register to see what you have there. If it doesn't like what it sees the program doesn't launch. Even if you uninstall a program that uses Starforce the Starforce files remain in the registry. In my experience with Starforce, SecuROM, and crap like that is they never work. Determined pirates will break the copy protection no matter how good and they will distribute the program. Legitimate users are more often than not hampered by the copy protection than those who pirate the game. I like to see games without software based copy protection and the artists get the money and rewards they deserve, but I absolutely refuse to buy a game that uses Starforce. Did so once and it really messed my system up so I will never again. I haven't had any problems with SecuROM yet, but there have been instances here and there.

I'm almost sold, but I'll wait on what people have to say about the story.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Starforce sends files in your register to see what you have there. If it doesn't like what it sees the program doesn't launch.

The only thing Starforce checks in registry is a value it puts there as a key.

Spyware is software that sends out information about browsing, or other useage, for advertising purposes.

I've had troubles uninstalling Starforce too and I've heard unsubstantiated reports about it causing problems with hardware, too. But, neither constitutes spyware. Malware you could make an argument for.

The whole argument against copy protection that it's unnecessary because those determined will get around it is silly in my eyes. A determined thief will break into your car or house, but that doesn't mean you leave the doors unlocked.

Edited by Tale

The whole argument against copy protection that it's unnecessary because those determined will get around it is silly in my eyes. A determined thief will break into your car or house, but that doesn't mean you leave the doors unlocked.

Its like a determined thief will get into your home or car so someone else puts locks in but forgets to give you the keys.

Its like a determined thief will get into your home or car so someone else puts locks in but forgets to give you the keys.

This actually makes no sense. The developers/publishers/investors are the ones that have put in what is oft multi-million dollars into the development of the game. So, they take steps to protect their investment.

You think they're putting in copyright protection to keep people from stealing it from you?

Beyond that, have you had a problem with them forgetting to give you the CD?

Edited by Tale

On the other hand it doesn't mean you spend a fortune on locks and bolts either (and in the case of Starforce, electrical shock generators that may or may not give the owner a shock when the door is opened). I think that copy protection schemes are a waste of the publishers money. Oblivion apparently managed to do just fine with only a standard cd check as copy protection, apparently Bethesda saw no need to fork out loads of dollars for something that will just be invalidated within a day or two anyway.

Ironically, the two protections schemes that actually delay pirates for long enough for it to matter are so invasive that the game companies have to shy away from them since people refuse to buy them. Well, one anyway (Starforce). The other has managed to fly somewhat under the radar so far (Tages), but given the amount of problems it introduces by it's very nature, I'd guess it'll stop being used within a fairly short time frame.

Yeah, I'm probably going to get it, too. 21st, here I wait.

I'm hoping it is in locally today.

what cracks me up is that more than anything else it sounds like Oblivion with guns. lol.

I'm so there. =]

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You play as the Marked One, a heavily armed scavenger suffering from amnesia

How many variations of this can you come up with?

The Clueless One

The N00b One

The Silent One

The Very Special One

The Silent but not so Clueless One

The Fated One

The Singled Out One

The Cool One

The Remarkable One

The **** That's Going to Run Through Hoops the Entire Game One

The Silent but with slightly more a clue than The Silent but not so Clueless One

This actually makes no sense. The developers/publishers/investors are the ones that have put in what is oft multi-million dollars into the development of the game. So, they take steps to protect their investment.

You think they're putting in copyright protection to keep people from stealing it from you?

Beyond that, have you had a problem with them forgetting to give you the CD?

No, but there have been problems in actually getting the game to work properly because of issues of compatibilty between hardware and already installed software and copy protection thusly not being able to play the game that one paid for.

Edited by Sand

The Silent but with slightly more a clue than The Silent but not so Clueless One

That's meeeeeeeeeeee! :ermm:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

what cracks me up is that more than anything else it sounds like Oblivion with guns. lol.

Actually, a more accurate description would be (a less buggy) Gothic 3 with guns. Mkreku is going to love this game.

I'm heading out to the local Gamestop to pick it up in a few minutes. It's arriving with the afternoon shipment.

I hope it doesn't suck.