Do you prefer the Fantasy genre for CRPG's ?

Kaftan Barlast

please vote  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Fantasy in CRPG's ?

• I prefer Fantasy
    • I prefer other genres

I myself prefer contemporary settings with the occasional Sci-Fi attack.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have no real preference. It really depends on what I've played recently. The last RPGs I played were Gothic 3, NWN2 and I'm currently playing the RPG/RTS combo Spellforce 2, so I'm a bit over medieval fantasy stuff for the moment.

Edited by Hell Kitty

I can count about ten, that's all. And most of them are a pretty vague on whether they are rpgs at all e.g. Do Sex.

As for my self, I don't really enjoy fantasy all that much anymore. I used to be sucker for high fantasy escapism, but that died away partly because the influx of non-worthless fantasy crpgs dwindled to a halt around 2003, but mostly because I no longer need a spiritual brazer to uphold my ego. Fantasy was like a second me for the longest time and purchase-decider, but nowadays I just look for a worthy story, no matter the genre. I'm not actually tired of the genre, it's just that I've recently take a liking to contemporary settings and low-scifi. My love for historical fiction has never been greater also.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I would call Starwars, Fallout, etc "Science Fiction".

The Swords and sorcery, etc, are "Fantasy"

Star Wars is swords and sorcery. Not 100% in the movies, but 100% in the three RPGs made off it (KOTOR1, 2, and SWG).

And heck, the upcoming Mass Effect is guns and sorcery. We need more Science Fiction RPGs, we've got barely any, and none recent.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Fantasy like god of war and Conan I would LOVE more of, Fantasy like Tolkien (yay!@ we're all going to save the world and have NO sex drive!) I'll play but the setting isn't anything special.

Do we classify FF as Fantasy Steampunk or Cyberpunk? or just not classify it because it defies classification?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I prefer fantasy. It doesn't neccesarily have to be filled with dragons and fairies or a D&D based environments, but I really like magic classes of some sort so that steers me towards fantasy. Which includes Kotor, with The Force. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I talked with a friend about RPG genres in respect to MMOs. I'm mentioning it because it applies to non-MMO RPG games recently. He said "Fantasy is a flooded market" to which I responded "Flooded? It's ****ing Waterworld."

I think there's certainly a market for a non-fantasy RPG, especially after years of not much else. Might be a little hard to get around the conditioned notion of RPG has to = fantasy that a large population of casual gamers may have, at first, perhaps, but definitely a market.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I like fantasy and sci-fi genres, and I especially enjoy games that successfully combine elements of both. I voted fantasy because I tend to prefer those worlds and the simpler lifestyle that is portrayed. Might have something to do with my interest in history, especially ancient history.

Might have something to do with my interest in history, especially ancient history.

That's an interesting insight...might affect me as well. :thumbsup:

Fantasy is my choice. Which is a Dark Ages, Medieval setting with dragons and swords.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Fantasy vs Everything Else is going to be a hard one. I really like fantasy (still planning my evil wizard with his feral halfling on a chain leash and gnome bounty hunter), but I realise there's a lot more out there. And a lot more to come.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

"Fallout, Bloodlines, KOTOR"

These are all fantasy games. Yes, even Fallout.

I like fantasy games. My preference in that genre are the medieval ones. :thumbsup:

What game isn't a fantasy game, given that every single game in existence is a play on reality?

If genres are to have any meaning then you have to go with style as much as anything else. By my definitions Fallout & KOTOR are sci-fi and Bloodlines is goth-horror.

And to answer the question I like a bit of both, the game is more important than the setting.

Edited by Big Bottom

Bloodlines is a fantasy variation. You might be able to call it gothic fantasy or whatnot. KOTOR would be a futuristic fantasy.

I don't see how Fallout could fall into fantasy. Bloodlines and KOTOR are both swords and sorcery games. I never got too far into Fallout, but I didn't see much of the sorcery element.

To me horror is a separate genre from Fantasy. So The World of Darkness is a horror setting rather than a fantasy one (just as I don't consider Steven King a fantasy writer). But the line is definitely blurry in that case.

Somewhat less blurry when it comes to Star Wars, which I definitely consider a fantasy setting.

All of which, of course, is irrelevant in regards to this poll. Kaftan's poll, Kaftan's definitions. Voted non-fantasy anyway.

Only having two options is a bit misleading though. You're putting Fantasy up against all other genres. So while a majority may prefer other genres, Fantasy is probably still the most popular genre. So just because other genres is winning in this poll, it doesn't mean a pure Sci Fi RPG will be well recieved by all who voted for that option. For instance, I would probably prefer a fantasy RPG over another Star Wars one (based on setting alone, nothing else factors in), but I would even more like a cyberpunk game or one set in the world of darkness.

In my opinion, for a poll like this to be useful, every larger genre would need it's own option. But again, it's not my poll and not me who is going to use it.

Actually, now that I think about it.. It doesn't really have to be post-apocalyptic. But I want a game world where there's no magic or anything "supernatural". Mutants are fine, even though it's impossible in reality, because it is at least based on a notion of science. I absolutely love when the weapons in a game are weapons I recognize in real life. I love my Glock's, AK-47's, RPG's and stuff like that. One of the reasons (together with the excellent setting) that made Wasteland the perfect game for me.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!