Do you prefer the Fantasy genre for CRPG's ?

Kaftan Barlast

please vote  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Fantasy in CRPG's ?

• I prefer Fantasy
    • I prefer other genres

Actually, now that I think about it.. It doesn't really have to be post-apocalyptic. But I want a game world where there's no magic or anything "supernatural". Mutants are fine, even though it's impossible in reality, because it is at least based on a notion of science. I absolutely love when the weapons in a game are weapons I recognize in real life. I love my Glock's, AK-47's, RPG's and stuff like that. One of the reasons (together with the excellent setting) that made Wasteland the perfect game for me.

By mutants, do you mean simply mutated, or are you looking towards X-Men. Once you start going towards super powers...

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

By mutants, do you mean simply mutated, or are you looking towards X-Men. Once you start going towards super powers...

I was thinking about the mutants in Wasteland/Fallout. No super powers!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Fantasy may be my favorite but at the same time I love games like Bloodlines and Fallout which are not fantasy.

Bloodlines is fantasy

Fallout definetly isn't fantasy. :)

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Yes, it is. It has magikal mind powerz. It has a friggin' large bl0b that quite frnakly is so beyond very unlikely to be considered anything but magic, and it's the main boss. And, the list goes.

It's not Tolkienesque/Medival; but not all fantasy games have to be to be fantasy games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd definitely add my voice to those calling for low-magic (or no magic) CRPGs and CRPGs set in other historical periods. Ancient Greece or Rome haven't been particularly well exploited for RPGs, and those are settings that are already within the public consciousness. What about Renaissance Genoa? What about Mamluk Egypt?

I still enjoy Tolkienesque fantasy, and it's hard to be overly critical of a setting that's produced so many good games (if for no other reason than that so many games have used it.) I'd like to see more variety, though, with more games in the modern world (with or without the VtM:B horror twist), and more in settings that are new and unexpected.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

All that arguing about mere designations like "What's fantasy? What's Sci-Fi?". People People! Don't be so blind leaving out the most important question of all: Is Harold a mutant or just an ugly guy? Does he have feelings? Does he like Pizza? Does he like playing D&D games as well? Please discuss maturely.

Edited by Morgoth

Fantasy has nothing to do with time period. Medieval is just the most popular.

Fantasy is defined by the presence of fantastic elements, such as people flinging around lightning, fire, or even other people. Or fantastical creatures like giants and fairies.

Edited by Tale

Fantasy has nothing to do with time period. Medieval is just the most popular.

Fantasy is defined by the presence of fantastic elements, such as people flinging around lightning, fire, or even other people. Or fantastical creatures like giants and fairies.

I'd agree with that definition on the whole. "Pure" sic-fi, to me, is about whether or not the basis of the tech could be based in an actual future reality. Most of the physics, for example, should be at least possible, if only in distant theory. But most stuff labeled as sci-fi isn't like that, with tons of fantasy elements thrown in all over (Star Trek...) so as far as how most people/business tend to use setting to define. I think it's because 'fantasy' is too all encompassing and things get divided into sub-genres for ease of labeling.

I consider most horror to be a sub-genre of fantasy. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sounds like a tall Tale if you ask me.

A tall tale would be when I reminisce about World War II and fighting the Germans.

Space ships, laser guns, alien species, future setting = Science Fiction.

Swords, dragons, dungeons, castles, magic, wagons, Medieval, Dark Ages setting = Fantasy

*pats Dark Raven on the head*

It's okay. Shh, it's a-okay.

Swords, dragons, dungeons, castles, magic, wagons, Medieval, Dark Ages setting = Fantasy

Lightsabers, Rancor, Hoth Caves, Jabba's Palace, The Force, Landspeeeders, The time of the Empire.

Hey, you nailed it. :)

Star Wars = Fantasy

:thanks:

Space ships, laser guns, alien species, future setting = Science Fiction.

Magic = Fantasy.

Force = Magic.

SW = Fantasy.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Guest The Architect

Any form of literature that contains paranormal material is fantasy Dark Raven. Hearing sounds in space, lightsabers, force powers and so on (most of Star Wars

Edited by The Architect

I would love to play a game that strays from the supernatural, but it would have to be well done. I remember a PnP spy game I used to play. I can't recall the name off hand, but I liked the game. Anyhow, it was great, but some of the abilities depicted on some of the characters were not humanly possible. Does that make it supernatural? Does citing a supernatural cause make it fantasy, while a character doing something that is, by its very nature fantastic, make it a fantasy?

There's a hardcore science fiction series out there about alternate universes. It's a pretty good read. Anyhow, the one big leap is that there are these alternate universes. It's science fiction. I view it as science fiction. There's a lot of hardcore science in the books. The author is a scientist, complete with that all important Dr. in front of her name. Does the fact that it contains something that is, as far as we know, fantastic make it fantasy? How about elements of fantasy that occur in fiction of every sort? The way genres work, we'd have to cross classify books from every genre as fantasy, including non-fiction. haha.

So, I voted for Fantasy, but that's only because the poll was particularly slanted. Well, either that or poorly worded.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I voted Fantasy even though I like both types of CRPGs and I did so because I am more of a fantasy fan rather than sci-fi (which I also like a lot). I would like to see more RPGs like call of cthulu, based on a historical setting or even like fallout, but I think I will always feel better knowing that there is also a nice fantasy RPG to try.

Star Wars could be a work of "science fantasy" :)

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?